Lance Uppercut

Default Joining Sewer Vents

Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott
Speedy Jim

Lance Uppercut wrote:

Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

Looks like the builder "forgot" to finish the job.
(Might want to verify somehow that this pipe is actually
a sewer vent. Listen at the opening for running water
when flushing, etc.)

Yes, should be fine to connect them as long as the
existing one thru roof is full size (4").
Slope the horizontal part of the extension so that
it rises toward the vent you'll be connecting into.

Jim
TimS

I don't think so. I'm not a plumber, but I see houses with 5 and 7 vent
pipes in the roof. If the builder could save roofer costs by having the
plumber joining all the vents (lesspenetratyions to seal), I think they
would. Any plumbers out there...agree, disagree?

"Lance Uppercut" wrote in message
om...
Hi all.

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

Thanks,

Scott

Goedjn

In the attic of my new house I have two PVC sewer vent pipes that come
up from the floorboards. One of them is run completely through the
roof. The other terminates about two feet up from the floor into the
attic. Would it be feasible for me to put an elbow onto this pipe,
extend it over and join it with the pipe that goes through the roof.
I would like to avoid putting another hole in my roof for obvious
reasons. I'm not sure about the codes in my area, but I imagine that
this would not be a problem. I would appreciate opinions.

If they're both really sewer-vent stacks, then last time I checked, you
could connect them. (subject to some rules involving flood-levels of
connected fixtures that aren't likely to affect you in an attic.)
Are you sure that's what they are, though?
It would really suck to find out after the fact that one of them's
actually venting your laundryroom, or a bathroom.