Mike Bittel

Default Shower Head Drips

I have a shower head that Drips in my tub shower even when the shower lever
is not pulled. I am told that this is a pressure problem since there is
nothing wrong with the spout and there are no plugged lines. I have heard
that a "double ell" will solve this problem. I have never seen one before
and believe they are only available from plumbing supply shops. Has anyone
ever used one before?

Jeff Wisnia

I think whoever told you that was trying to describe an installation where the
pipe feeding the shower head goes up past the height of the shower head and
then turns around and comes back down to it, behind the wall. This increases
the height which back pressure from flow through the tub spout and its pipe has
to lift water to cause the drip you're getting. The "double ell" you heard
dedcribes the U-turn in the piping fabricated from two elbows. (One can be a
"street ell" and the other a normal elbow, or use two normal elbows and a short
nipple)

You'll probably find this prohibitively difficult or expensive to install in a
finished bathroom.

If all you're getting is a little dripping, then the "shower arm" (The chrome
pipe coming out of the wall going to the shower head.) must be right below the
critical height, and forcing a little more water lift could make it go away.
You could try this:

Come out of the wall with a threaded nipple, screw an ell on its end pointing
up. Screw another nipple (as tall as needed) into that ell, and finally screw
on another ell with a short shower arm and the nozzle screwed into it. It'll be
a bit clutzy, but should stop the drip. If you can find chromed pieces for all
the parts it might not look all that bad.

They sell little chromed shower control valves you could buy and install
between the shower arm and shower head to positively stop the water flow, but
you'd have to open it every time you wanted to shower.

But:

I'm not sure what you meant by "shower lever". Were you refering to an actual
"lever like" handle which is part of the water control valve assembly and
operates a diverter valve, like the little lever on the ubiquitous Symmons
"Temptrol" tub/shower valves? Or, were you describing a plunger on the tub
spout which you pull up to close off the tub flow and redirect the water to the
shower head?

If it's the former, than maybe there's something wrong with the diverter valve
which can be fixed with a new seal or something.

If the latter, are you certain there's nothing wrong with the tub spout? Have
you taken it off and let the water flow into the tub out of the pipe the spout
screws onto. If you do that, is that "shower drip" still present? If it isn't,
then maybe a different model spout might be enough to make the problem go away.

Goof Luck,

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to
blame it on."

Looking for DC voltage actuated water valve that interfaces to shower head Joe Blo Home Repair 21 February 22nd 04 02:03 AM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM
Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 10:42 AM
Shower head bracket? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 August 4th 03 10:15 PM
Fisher cassette heads bg Electronics Repair 5 July 30th 03 05:04 AM