Tom Sikes

Default Finishing Hardwood floors that have fancy borders and inlays.

I'm wondering how best to sand a hardwood floor that has a thick (3/8")
inlay in it. This inlay has pieces that are both parallel and perpendicular
to the grain of the floor. Because of its thickness I'm not concerned about
sanding through it but I'm concerned about sanding the parts that are cross
grain to the floor.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer some advice?

Baron

You can try masking and hand sanding which is incredibly time consuming
or consider a random orbital sander. It's essentially the same problem as
dealing with a parquet floor.

Good Luck.

"Tom Sikes" wrote in message
I'm wondering how best to sand a hardwood floor that has a thick (3/8")
inlay in it. This inlay has pieces that are both parallel and

perpendicular
to the grain of the floor. Because of its thickness I'm not concerned

about
sanding through it but I'm concerned about sanding the parts that are

cross
grain to the floor.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can offer some advice?

Tom Sikes

So sand the rest of the room with the drum sander but leave the border and
design areas un-sanded, then come back over those areas with the random
sander? Good idea. Does anybody make a random orbital that will handle the
job?