Dane Brickman

Default shindaiwa chain saws

Yo, my local power equipment shop tells me Husky is no longer a great
brand.... he's pushing shindaiwa products...

On his advice, I bought one of their blade/string trimmers, and while it
seems to be a nice powerful unit, the blade guard makes it a nightmare to
use in thick bamboo. It might last longer than the other brands, but I'm not
sure it's been all that better than others I've owned. It starts with one
pull, but so does my 15 year old weed eater brand.

Now I'm looking for a chain saw that will last... is the dealer right about
the Shindawia being top dog, or are the Stihls, Huskies and maybe Echo's
fine saws too?

If so are there any "dogs" in their line-ups ( I hear some Husky saws are
made by Poulan, and the only good Stihls are the ones with even model
numbers and only the very top 2 Echo's are any good).

Which brands would require the fewest steps and tools to change air filters
and spark plugs, etc.???

I don't need anything larger than 18 inches.

Tony Hwang

Hi,
I am begining to think Husky is just a name now.
I noticed their air compressor is made by CH.
Shindaiwa, Echo are Japanese brands. My local dealer quit selling them.
When I asked why, he told me, they keep changing things causing service
problem. I bought a Poulin Pro 18" for chores around my house/cabin 7
years ago. Still going strong. Stihl is a good brand. They go on sale
once in the spring and fall which is good time to get.
Tony

Dane Brickman wrote:

[...]

Jon Endres, PE

"Dane Brickman" wrote in message
Yo, my local power equipment shop tells me Husky is no longer a great
brand.... he's pushing shindaiwa products...

Now I'm looking for a chain saw that will last... is the dealer right

about
the Shindawia being top dog, or are the Stihls, Huskies and maybe Echo's
fine saws too?

I wouldn't classify a Shindaiwa as "top dog", but they seem to be good saws.
There is a local sawmill whose owner uses nothing but Shindaiwa saws; I have
no idea where he gets them, though.

The top two brands are Husqvarna and Stihl. Echo, Jonsereds, Makita and
Shindaiwa make good smaller saws, and I think the new John Deeres aren't too
bad. Just stay away from the department store junk - Poulan, McCullough and
Craftsman.

I am partial to Stihl because of reliability, availability of parts and a
good dealer network, and because they felt better in my hands than the
Jonsereds or Husky saws. I have a Stihl 025, 066 and I just bought a used
MS390. No problems here, and I don't use the saws professionally - the 066
is used with a sawmill, and I cut about 12-15 cord of firewood annually.
All the Stihls are good, but they do differentiate between "homeowner" and
"pro" saws pretty clearly. Having said that, my 025, which is what I use
for 98% of my cutting, gets beat to hell and back and runs as strong as the
day I bought it. The 066 is just too much of a monster for frequent use, so
I bought the MS390 to give me a good falling and heavy use saw.

Jon E