anonymous

Default Q. blower starts only by being primed

Hmm. That's interesting news. I've never used Stabil myself, although
I know others who have. Lasts only three months? That's not a very
long time. I try to make it a point not to leave any gas in those
small engines. I remember when my dad use to leave gas in his Harley
snowmobile during the off season. It would take me hours to get it
started each year. I think he must've taken the carburator apart
several times to clean it. I guess he never figured out what caused
the hard start(?) and I was too long to know any better. Many years
later, after I've moved away, he tried starting our ATC and it
wouldn't start and the dealer told him it was probably because of the
gas that has been left in there for over a year that caused it. Then
he was told about Stabil.

Larry Caldwell wrote in message nk.net...
c (TOM KAN PA) writes:

The gas/oil mixture isn't old. I use STA-BIL in all my gasolene equipment.
Never run it dry, and never have any problem in the spring starting it.

Welcome to the real world. Now it won't start. Get the gum boiled out
of the carb and it will be fine again.

And when you finish blowing leaves this year, run it dry, pour the gas in
your car, and mix fresh next year. Sta-bil is only good for about 3
months.

George E. Cawthon

Humbug. It is fresh gas that may go bad in 3 months, gas
with Stabil is supposed to remain good up to 2 years.
Personally, I kept my last chain saw full or half full all
the time and it just sat for 7-8 months and would usually
start on the 2nd/3rd pull after sitting through the winter.
The only time I had problems was after about 15 years when
the rubber tube in the gas tank started disintegrating. The
new chain saw (about 3 years old) doesn't get run more than
a few times a year and sits for 8-9 months without any
problem so far.

Gas in my 4 stroke lawn mowers sits over winter
(November-May) with no problem, both are about 15 years old
now. BUT, I wouldn't recommend leaving gas in an unused
vehicle for 3-4 months without using Stabil or similar
product. Using up a full tank of gas every 2 months
shouldn't require using anything. I don't use Stabil in any
of my vehicles and my pickup often sits for 2-3 months
without any use so I have to make a special effort to use a
tank of gas in that time. Nonetheless, it fires and keeps
running every time I start it. (Now my old pickup that took
nearly 2-1/2 years to use a complete tank of gas is another
story, which I don't want to remember.)