Steve & Chris Clark

Default insulation; UFFI

OK everyone!
I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are
looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone
have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to
share?
What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware?
thanks very much everyone in advance
Chris

---

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:09:25 -0400, "Steve & Chris Clark"
wrote:

OK everyone!
I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are
looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone
have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to
share?
What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware?
thanks very much everyone in advance
Chris

---

Brick house? Nice and dry?
clare @ snyder.on .ca

wrote:

OK everyone!
I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are
looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone
have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to
share?
What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware?
thanks very much everyone in advance
Chris

Brick house? Nice and dry?
Go for it.
Frame house and or damp? Stay away.
UFFI was approoved for dry brick buildings, and installed in anything.
Problems in the questionable installs gave it a bad name.

Another situation where our government got involved without checking
its facts properly.

---

james w lazenby

wrote:

[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system

(http://www.grisoft.com).

8/19/03

I thought your earlier post "Brick house? Nice and dry?"
was going to point out an oxymoron. (Relative to the cavity
behind the outer brick wythe.)

The operative words are likely "Nice and dry," regardless of
the exterior finish, unless you are quoting a truism in
favor of "dry" and against "damp."

You certainly are correct, per the government's
all-too-recent "recall" of its long standing ban on UFFI.
(Without so much as an "oops.") The stuff does turn to
dust. But it requires external force or vibration to cause
disintergration. Reasonably well applied (rather rare with
the all-too-common gypsy installers), the stuff held
together until you disturbed its environment.

Jim
Jim

bsfdl

Another situation where our government got involved without checking
its facts properly.

Please explain?

One would think by this time that off-gassing
would be neglibile or even non-exisitent .
wrote:

OK everyone!
I haven't looked into UFFI in more than 20 years now.....friends of ours are
looking at a house that used UFFI as the insulation in 1978........anyone
have any uptodate statistics/info/web sources that they would be willing to
share?
What does everyone think nowadays? Buy or beware?
thanks very much everyone in advance
Chris

---

loft insulation - best option? John Richer UK diy 15 June 21st 04 12:04 PM
Insulation: Under floor also Comparisons of mu figures of HW tank insulation etc Z UK diy 0 March 5th 04 10:10 PM
Fixing loft boarding *through* insulation and derating cable. Mike Hall UK diy 11 January 9th 04 03:45 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 09:57 PM
Detecting Insulation in Ceiling and Walls Paul Home Repair 6 August 18th 03 05:59 PM