Stormin Mormon

Default Centrail Air Troubleshooting Question

At the moment, it's kind of hard to narrow down the possible problem. Just
off the top of my head, I can think of:

* bad swtich on thermostat
* loose wire on back of thermostat
* faulty contactor on condensing unit
* bad capacitor to condensing fan
* bad capacitor to furnace fan
* bad contactor on furnace fan relay
* bad contactor on back of thermostat
* low output voltage on transformer in furnace
* dirty connections on outdoor disconnect
* weak circuit breaker to furnace
* weak circuit breaker to condensing unit
* bad starting components on compressor
* Loose wire on compressor
* Loose wire (one of the fifty or so) in furnace
* Loose wire on contactor outdoors
* Compressor cycling off by way of thermal overload
* and about four others I'll think of when I hit send
*
*
*
*

But those were just the ones which came to mind off the top of my head.
Central AC is a rather complicated device, and needs a techie every year to
clean, check, oil, and so on. Please let us know what the techie finds. Live
long and prosper.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
om...
Twice this summer our central air stopped running. The one time we
got it started again by just flipping the off and on switch a few
times. Last night even that didn't work so we just went to bed. It
suddenly started this morning after I played with the switch. I
don't want to call in service until I am better armed with information
(I don't want someone trying to sell me a whole new system when it
might just be a loose wire or something).

Anyone have any clue if that is a symptom of a thermostadt problem as
opposed to the ac unit itself? We have a Hunter programmable
thermostat and I changed the battery on it last night too.

Joseph Meehan

Could be many things, but I would vote for a relay going bad. If you
don't know what I am talking about, you are not the person to check or
replace it. Time to call for service. If you have not had it serviced for
some time, this would be a good time for a generally checkup and a chance to
get to know a serviceman.

Consider this. If it is an old unit, it may be a good time to replace
it. The techs are not too busy right now. A replacement is going to save
you operating cost as well. This repair may not cost much (unless it is
hard to find or an expensive part) but how long until the next one?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
om...
Twice this summer our central air stopped running. The one time we
got it started again by just flipping the off and on switch a few
times. Last night even that didn't work so we just went to bed. It
suddenly started this morning after I played with the switch. I
don't want to call in service until I am better armed with information
(I don't want someone trying to sell me a whole new system when it
might just be a loose wire or something).

Anyone have any clue if that is a symptom of a thermostadt problem as
opposed to the ac unit itself? We have a Hunter programmable
thermostat and I changed the battery on it last night too.

Jeffy3

"Jim Mc Namara" wrote in message . com...
A little more info please, Jeffy . . .

Which switch are you turning off and on and where is it located?

Jim

"Jeffy3" wrote in message
om...
Twice this summer our central air stopped running. The one time we
got it started again by just flipping the off and on switch a few
times. Last night even that didn't work so we just went to bed. It
suddenly started this morning after I played with the switch. I
don't want to call in service until I am better armed with information
(I don't want someone trying to sell me a whole new system when it
might just be a loose wire or something).

Anyone have any clue if that is a symptom of a thermostadt problem as
opposed to the ac unit itself? We have a Hunter programmable
thermostat and I changed the battery on it last night too.

Turning the thermostat from a/c to off and back again a few times.

Jim Mc Namara

Before I replaced the t'stat - I would remove it from the sub base and be
sure all the wires are connected properly. I would also check for the same
on the air handling unit as well. There is a "remote" possibility that when
the unit cycles off and on some vibration may have loosened the connections
at the unit. If those do not prove to be viable results, I would then
replace the t'stat. Anything more than that (since you are working with low
voltage wiring) I would consider calling in a pro to troubleshoot the
system. They're trained for these situations.

Jim

om...

ACID QUESTION my_2¢ Metalworking 9 November 10th 03 04:22 PM
chemistry question Grant Erwin Metalworking 44 November 3rd 03 05:41 AM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Question about possible 'floating neutral' donald girod Home Repair 1 June 30th 03 03:47 AM