DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/48925-beware-driveway-sealers-ripoffs.html)

Randy August 18th 03 10:39 PM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Firstly let me apologize to all of the established genuine driveway
sealer experts, this posting isn't criticizing them.

Have you ever noticed that every summer "Driveway Sealer" experts
magically appear at the end of your driveway offering to coat your driveway
in their "exclusive" product for a bargain price. I shake my head every
time I see them in the neighbourhood.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing their pitch. What exactly are
they promising and for what price? Isn't it just used motor oil there're
spraying?

Randy

Brad August 18th 03 10:47 PM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article ,
said...
Firstly let me apologize to all of the established genuine driveway
sealer experts, this posting isn't criticizing them.

Have you ever noticed that every summer "Driveway Sealer" experts
magically appear at the end of your driveway offering to coat your driveway
in their "exclusive" product for a bargain price. I shake my head every
time I see them in the neighbourhood.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing their pitch. What exactly are
they promising and for what price? Isn't it just used motor oil there're
spraying?

All driveway sealing is a scam.

Ron Hardin August 19th 03 12:55 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

wrote:
So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

The water doesn't stay in the cracks. It sinks into the dirt. I can't imagine
a circumstance where it would stay in the crack in fact. Maybe if you built the
driveway on a plastic sheet you could pull it off.
--
Ron Hardin

Brad August 19th 03 01:06 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article ,
said...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:42:19 -0400,
wrote:

It's a ritual. I was surprised to find people doing it around me; but then
they put eggs on trees at Easter too. I figure they're coupled.

The real ritual is the ritual of the freeze and thaw cycle?

My 30yo driveway is grey but fine. It has the same grass growing in it as
the rest of the driveways, a harmless bit of seasonal color. Cracks come from
ground movement, not lack of sealing.

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

I recoat my driveway every 2 or 3 years for a cost of about $50 per application.
After 20 years, my driveway looks quite a bit different than my neighbors who
all got driveways put in at the same time as me.

My driveway is smooth, level, and still drains properly. No cracks, and no
weeds. My neighbors are already looking at the expense ($3000) of a cap job.

Yeah, driveway sealing is a real ripoff... NOT!!!

So your driveway has never developed a crack that you had to patch before
applying the sealer? The sealer is little more than paint and does
virtually nothing to stop water from doing freeze damage. If you fill
your cracks when they are small there is no need to seal.

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

mark Ransley August 19th 03 02:12 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Beware of the GYPSIES ,,,, they fix it all
First your driveway ,,,than your wallet
BIG TIME CONS

[email protected] August 19th 03 02:25 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:55:26 -0400, Ron Hardin

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

The water doesn't stay in the cracks. It sinks into the dirt. I can't imagine
a circumstance where it would stay in the crack in fact. Maybe if you built the
driveway on a plastic sheet you could pull it off.

I take it that according to your the cracks must be bottomless,
therefore why seal the cracks if the water just drains to China.

Maybe you should re-write the road commissions handbook on
how to slow down the degradation of the roadways in cold climates.

[email protected] August 19th 03 02:27 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No..... Roads are sealed. The better the seal the greater
the life expectancy.

[email protected] August 19th 03 02:32 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:37:21 GMT, 'nuther Bob
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:46:07 -0400,
wrote:

Yeah, driveway sealing is a real ripoff... NOT!!!

It's useful it your driveway has cracks. Small cracks only get bigger,
so if you don't want to look close, maybe it's good to seal once in a
while. If you don't have any cracks, there's no way sealer can do
anything for you.

Bob

Bingo

Desert Traveler August 19th 03 02:39 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No, I haven't. Where I live, there are crews all the time that pour black
goop on cracks in the road. Things may be different where you live.

steve

Brad August 19th 03 05:06 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article Mdf0b.9350$kP.7800@fed1read03,
said...

Ever notice how roads are never sealed?

No, I haven't. Where I live, there are crews all the time that pour black
goop on cracks in the road. Things may be different where you live.

Patching the occasional crack is not the same as sealing the whole
surface. Insurance is one of the many reasons they don't seal the whole
thing as it makes it like ice when it's wet.

Brad August 19th 03 05:09 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article ,
said...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:55:26 -0400, Ron Hardin

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

The water doesn't stay in the cracks. It sinks into the dirt. I can't imagine
a circumstance where it would stay in the crack in fact. Maybe if you built the
driveway on a plastic sheet you could pull it off.

I take it that according to your the cracks must be bottomless,
therefore why seal the cracks if the water just drains to China.

Maybe you should re-write the road commissions handbook on
how to slow down the degradation of the roadways in cold climates.

I guess my climate isn't cold enough here in NJ because they never seal
the roads around here.

CBHvac August 19th 03 06:33 AM

wrote:

Yeah, driveway sealing is a real ripoff... NOT!!!

It's useful it your driveway has cracks. Small cracks only get bigger,
so if you don't want to look close, maybe it's good to seal once in a
while. If you don't have any cracks, there's no way sealer can do
anything for you.

Bob

Maybe you live in a much warmer climate. Here in the Northeast, EVERYBODY

has
cracks. The people who discount driveway sealing are usually southern

trailer
trash, who don't much care what their property looks like anyway.

BB

I dunno man..we got this Yankee that moved in down the street....and its
Sanford and Son there....LOL

Brad August 19th 03 01:29 PM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article , bigal8883
@aol.com said...
a road mixed asphalt is one heck of a lot different than what you get in
driveways

If you're looking to get it done cheaply you get what you pay for.

Brad August 19th 03 01:30 PM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

In article ,
said...
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:09:02 -0400, Brad wrote:

In article ,

said...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:55:26 -0400, Ron Hardin

So you are saying that there is no reason to keep water out of the
cracks because ice expansion won't make the crack worse?

Expansion of water in the form of ice is a myth?

The water doesn't stay in the cracks. It sinks into the dirt. I can't imagine
a circumstance where it would stay in the crack in fact. Maybe if you built the
driveway on a plastic sheet you could pull it off.

I take it that according to your the cracks must be bottomless,
therefore why seal the cracks if the water just drains to China.

Maybe you should re-write the road commissions handbook on
how to slow down the degradation of the roadways in cold climates.

I guess my climate isn't cold enough here in NJ because they never seal
the roads around here.

NJ? You better take a closer look. What's that black gook that they
put down in the cracks? Isn't that black gook meant to seal?

Like I said before, I'm not talking about filling cracks (which they don't
do with the same product anyway). I'm talking about sealing the entire
surface.

[email protected] August 19th 03 04:21 PM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:05:48 -0400, TrentŠ
wrote:

[...]

And aren't they constantly rebuilding them?

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

I'm not aware of any place where they "seal coat" either roads or
parking lots - the closest thing that comes to "sealing" is when they
apply a TOP COAT of gravel and asphalt to a gravel road (and there are
not too many of those left around specifically because of the high
cost of this type of maintenance).

[email protected] August 20th 03 01:37 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:39:46 -0400, TrentŠ
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

[email protected] August 20th 03 01:44 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:44:30 -0400, TrentŠ
wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'cosmetic'. Doesn't cosmetic mean there
are minor defects?...which will accelerate into major
defects?...unless repaired when they are minor.

When speaking of driveway sealer and sealing of parking lots cosmetic
means exactly what the Merriam-Webster definition says:

Main Entry: 1cosˇmetˇic
Pronunciation: käz-'me-tik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek kosmEtikos skilled in adornment, from kosmein to
arrange, adorn, from kosmos order
Date: 1650
1 : of, relating to, or making for beauty especially of the complexion
: BEAUTIFYING cosmetic salves
2 : done or made for the sake of appearance: as a : correcting defects
especially of the face cosmetic surgery b : DECORATIVE, ORNAMENTAL c
: not substantive : SUPERFICIAL cosmetic changes
3 : visually appealing
- cosˇmetˇiˇcalˇly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Sealing will not correct any defects, minor or major and will not
delay the need for repairs - if there are any defects they will have
to be repaired, regardless of any sealing that has been applied. In
fact once a program of periodic sealing has been established it will
be necessary to continue it for precisely the cosmetic purposes it was
applied - the sealer will slough off and leave the "sealed" surface
looking worse than it would have had it not been sealed in the first
place!

[email protected] August 20th 03 02:32 AM

Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:22:52 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..

but seriously..it IS a common practice here..

What part of NC? Never saw a parking lot get sealed in the 12 years
I've been living in NC (Triangle).

Doug Miller August 20th 03 02:35 AM

wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It's a common sight here in Indianapolis. I just encountered one yesterday
morning.

--
Regards,

CBHvac August 20th 03 05:58 AM

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:22:52 -0700, "CBHvac"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Parking lots are done all the time in my area.

Where might this area be that the parking lots are sealed 'all the
time'?

It doesn't appear to be logical for a parking lot operator to go to
the expense of sealing their lot and then take on the added cost of re
striping the lot (interesting thing is if this is in the US they will
have to bring the spaces up to current ADA compliance too!)

Done all the time here in NC......and talk about slick when wet..

but seriously..it IS a common practice here..

What part of NC? Never saw a parking lot get sealed in the 12 years
I've been living in NC (Triangle).

Central NC..bit west of you.
Hell..when I was in Raliegh, several of the lots there were sealed...one or
two on Capital come to mind right off, and thats cause when I was there for
a training class, when we broke for lunch, I was able to slide the van
around like it had casters on it in the rain..