Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Tim May

Default Metal buckets with covers?

In article , Ignoramus12377
wrote:

I need to buy a metal bucket (galvanized) with a cover. I will use it
in conjunction with a fishtank water heater as a water filled source
of radiant heat for a chicken coop for this coming
winter. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any store that sells
them, everyone now sells plastic buckets.

The reason why I want to buy galvanized is threefold:

1) it conducts heat better

Not an issue. All heat generated by the fishtank water heater will of
course reach the outside. (Conservation of energy laws. The higher
thermal conductivity of a metal bucket over a plastic bucket drops out
of the equations in the steady-state solution, as one would expect.)

2) it can be painted black (I assume plastic buckets are not
paintable) to radiate better

_Definitely_ not an issue.

3) It can be better grounded, being metallic.

The immersible water heater is already grounded. Fish tanks are made of
plastic or glass and don't cause problems, so why should a plastic
bucket?

--Tim May

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM