RamblinOn

Default Painting over painted wallpaper??

Roger Redford wrote:

Dear Experts,

You may have read my other post recently:
Tough dual layer wallpaper removal

Anyway, it turns out that there was in fact an
original layer of paint. Then a wallpaper liner
that was painted. (And then another layer of
wallpaper which I have since removed.)

I've been trying to get this painted wallpaper
liner off. But it's been really slow work. It
took over a day's work to do just one 36 inch section.
And at least 2 hours to remove the paper above the
door header. I want the wall to be smooth.

I don't know what "wallpaper liner" is - reference to the first layer of
wallpaper? From my experience, the number of coats of paint or layers
of wallpaper are pretty irrelevant. Wallpaper, in the best application
possible, is still something I would not want to paint over because it
will eventually loosen somewhere and leave a mess. Getting through the
layers to the bottom layer of wallpaper paste is the sectret. Cut
through with coarse sandpaper, spray a couple of times with water and
let water soak in, then start peeling/scraping. Has always worked well
for me - messy, but low on the "technical difficulty" scale.

I had a thought. A few walls have the painted
wallpaper attached REALLY well. I was thinking to:
- remove any loose paint, etc.
- plaster the wall with a trowel
- sand smooth
- repeat if necessary
- prime with oil based primer
- then paint

Has anyone tried this? Or dealt with the
aftermath? What is your experience? Ideas?

Thanks

Pinewood Derby 101 - painting a car and getting a smooth finish - need help usenetdg Woodworking 56 March 20th 04 02:31 AM
Painting Wallpaper Freda UK diy 3 January 17th 04 04:08 PM
Painting of ceiling... Marcus Fox UK diy 2 November 7th 03 07:15 PM
How to Remove Painted Wallpaper from Wall & Painting Paneling tom Home Repair 6 June 29th 03 07:17 AM