y_p_w

Default mounting a bathroom mirror

"jeffc" wrote in message . com...
"jeffc" wrote in message
om...

"John" wrote in message
hi,

I'd like to mount a bathroom mirror, about 50cm by 50cm onto a tiled

wall.
My apartment is rented though so I don't want to damage anything (ie. by
drilling).

Has anyone used double sided tape for this? Would the mirror fall down &
smash? and would it be easy to remove when I eventually move out? I also
thought of poster putty.

I'm a landlord currently in the process of allowing my tenants to do some
work (including replacing a damaged mirror). I'd say this kind of thing
would come close to requiring the permission of your landlord, at least
where I live (California). Anything strong enough to hold a mirror might
have the possibility of damaging the tile on removal.

Oh my. No, you can't hang a mirror with poster putty. If double
sided tape was actually strong enough and sticky enough to hold it
up, then it would do more damage removing it than holes drilled in
the wall. Get some picture hangers and hang the thing with wire if
you're concerned about larger holes.

Sorry, didn't notice you were mounting on tile. You can get double sided
tape off tile OK, but it might not hold.

I'm not sure where you are (you mentioned cm, so I'm guessing not the
US), but the supplies I bought for this mirror(36"X60") included
plastic mounting brackets and double-sided adhesive squares. The
adhesive squares are designed specifically to hold up a mirror on a
painted wall. These might also work on tile, although I don't recall
the instructions. Just for reference, they were distributed by Stanley
(a large US tool company) and I bought them at Home Depot (a building
supplies store). If you're not in the US, you might be able to find
something similar where you live.
wayne

In a bathroom with naked bodies as well as moisture in it I would not trust
double sided tape or any other temporary plan. you could install a couple
of hooks and hang it from the ceiling.

If you can get to the back of the mirror you might want to tape it with
plastic tape of some kind so in the event it did fall off you would have
fewer shards of glass around!

Wayne

"y_p_w" wrote in message
om...
"jeffc" wrote in message

. com...
"jeffc" wrote in message
om...

"John" wrote in message
[...]

y_p_w

"wayne" wrote in message et...
In a bathroom with naked bodies as well as moisture in it I would not trust
double sided tape or any other temporary plan. you could install a couple
of hooks and hang it from the ceiling.

If you can get to the back of the mirror you might want to tape it with
plastic tape of some kind so in the event it did fall off you would have
fewer shards of glass around!

What I had in mind wasn't an ordinary double-sided tape, but a special
adhesive designed to hold up bathroom mirrors. At least four squares
are needed for each pound of mirror weight. I looked at my bathroom
mirror (maybe 36"X48") this morning, and its weight is being held by
dozens of these adhesive squares in addition to four plastic mirror
clips.

The stuff is extremely tenacious, and from what I've read, rather
difficult to remove. Removal generally requires cutting with a wire,
or simply breaking the mirror. There's also a kind of specialty
mirror adhesive that comes in a cartridge for use in a caulk gun.

If it was a large mirror, I'd probably go for an adhesive along with
plastic or metal mirror supports. If it's small, an adhesive might
just work. If the original poster can't find this where he lives,
I'd be willing to trade a package for a picture postcard.