Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 33,000 injured each year while using the toilet

33,000 injured each year while using the toilet
by Fred Hosier August 22, 2011

Imagine this: You’re being treated in a hospital emergency room. The
medical professional attending to you tries to make ER small talk by
asking, "How’d this happen?" And you answer

"I was using the toilet."

You and 32,999 other Americans each year.

Really.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
estimates 234,000 nonfatal bathroom injuries were treated in U.S.
emergency departments in 2008.

Of those bathroom injuries, 14.1% occurred when people stood up from,
sat down on or were using the toilet.

Injury rates increased with age, from 4.1 per 100,000 among persons age
15-24 to 266.6 per 100,000 among those aged 85 or more.

The CDC says injuries among people aged 65 or older associated with
using the toilet might be attributed in part to vasovagal syncope. The
condition is a common cause of fainting and can be brought about by
relieving oneself.

Standing after prolonged sitting can also result in postural
hypotension, a sudden drop in blood pressure that causes
light-headedness or dizziness.

Some other stats from the CDC’s bathroom injuries report:

* 81% of all bathroom injuries were caused by falls
* head/neck was the most common body part injured (31%)
* most patients were treated and released, but 13.7% were admitted,
and
* bathing, showering or getting out of the tub or shower was the
most common cause of bathroom injury (37.3%).

The best prevention steps, especially for people age 65 and above:
Install grab bars inside tubs and showers and near toilets, and add
anti-slip strips to the bottom of tubs and showers.

From:
http://www.safetynewsalert.com/33000...ing-the-toilet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 5:09 AM, wrote:
[...]

From:
http://www.safetynewsalert.com/33000...ing-the-toilet

That's as many as shot by guns.

A background check should be conducted each time someone goes to the
toilet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2016 04:09 AM, wrote:
[...]

Was about to say that I am not /that/ uncoordinated until I remembered
that I injured myself on a first aide kit.

Nothing much though, I just bent over to tie my shoe and bumped my head
on a wall mounted unit.

I probably should not mention the time I pinched my finger closing such
a kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 08:09:16 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 05:09:26 -0400, wrote:

33,000 injured each year while using the toilet
by Fred Hosier August 22, 2011

Imagine this: You’re being treated in a hospital emergency room. The
medical professional attending to you tries to make ER small talk by
asking, "How’d this happen?" And you answer

"I was using the toilet."

You and 32,999 other Americans each year.

Really.

A report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
estimates 234,000 nonfatal bathroom injuries were treated in U.S.
emergency departments in 2008.

Won't happen at my house. We took out the damned toilet to prevent
injury. Safer to just go out to the front yard and squat. Actually,
mostly on the neighbors lawn. He has been complaining about a big dog
in the neighborhood.

Great idea, and you wont slam your penis under the toliet lid either.

Of course if you do have a toilet and happen to slam your penis under
the lid, you have one of two other problems. 1. You're too young to be
using a toilet without your parents help. 2. You're penis is too long,
and needs to be surgically shortened or removed.

There was once a story about a guy who always slammed his penis in his
car door, and then he drove over it with his front tire when backing out
of his garage. VERY PAINFUL! Surgeons removed 2 feet, but then he could
not walk.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:31:06 -0500, philo wrote:

Was about to say that I am not /that/ uncoordinated until I remembered
that I injured myself on a first aide kit.

Nothing much though, I just bent over to tie my shoe and bumped my head
on a wall mounted unit.

I probably should not mention the time I pinched my finger closing such
a kit.

Car doors are dangerous for the children that get their
fingers slammed in the door. That hurts.

There should be back ground checks for car doors. Do it for the
children.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 07:36:24 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

A background check should be conducted each time someone goes to the
toilet

My wife lets the dog pee in the yard, but she gets on my case about
it. I save a lot of water by going outside, peeing in the rocks.

Just one time saves 1.28 gallons of water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 07:36:24 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

A background check should be conducted each time someone goes to the
toilet

My wife lets the dog pee in the yard, but she gets on my case about
it. I save a lot of water by going outside, peeing in the rocks.

Just one time saves 1.28 gallons of water.

And think what good you are doing for the environment. Recycling & filtering
the pee is good.

Maybe the wife thinks the neighbor ladies will take note of your endowment
and want to advantage of you...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 14:35:47 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 07:36:24 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

A background check should be conducted each time someone goes to the
toilet

My wife lets the dog pee in the yard, but she gets on my case about
it. I save a lot of water by going outside, peeing in the rocks.

Just one time saves 1.28 gallons of water.

And think what good you are doing for the environment. Recycling & filtering
the pee is good.

Did you see the other day that the Clinton bus dumped human waste in
the storm drains of Atlanta?

Maybe the wife thinks the neighbor ladies will take note of your endowment
and want to advantage of you...

The ladies around here would faint on site if I gave them a peek.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And think what good you are doing for the environment. Recycling & filtering
the pee is good.

Did you see the other day that the Clinton bus dumped human waste in
the storm drains of Atlanta?

Yeah Al Gore probably gave the order.

Maybe the wife thinks the neighbor ladies will take note of your endowment
and want to take advantage of you...

The ladies around here would faint on site if I gave them a peek.

Can't sell what you don't advertise... Pure admiration...

--
Tekkie