Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beep beep beep!

Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2016 13:53:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...] it was the smoke alarm low battery warning.

You should not wait until the alarm to change them.

Normally, alkalines will last a few years. (Lithium several years.) But,
if you have a fire, a battery on its last useful year will only sound
the alarm for a fraction of the time that a fresh one could.

This could kill you. Don't be cheap with safety equipment. Even if you
think your life is worthless, maybe someone else wants you alive.

A few weeks before Halloween is a good time to change all your smoke &
CO detector batteries. You can use the partly used batteries as power
sources for Jack-o-Lanterns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/16 9:53 AM, KenK wrote:
Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Considering how expensive 9V batteries are and that it's a PIA to change
them every year, consider replacing your existing smoke alarm with one
of those Kidde 10 year devices.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:06:32 -0400
Mike Duffy wrote:

On 11 Oct 2016 13:53:19 GMT, KenK wrote:

[...] it was the smoke alarm low battery warning.

You should not wait until the alarm to change them.

Normally, alkalines will last a few years. (Lithium several years.)
But, if you have a fire, a battery on its last useful year will only
sound the alarm for a fraction of the time that a fresh one could.

This could kill you. Don't be cheap with safety equipment. Even if you
think your life is worthless, maybe someone else wants you alive.

A few weeks before Halloween is a good time to change all your smoke &
CO detector batteries. You can use the partly used batteries as power
sources for Jack-o-Lanterns.

Before all those stupid alarms people lived life and all was well.
One or two may have died, but that is the cycle...life went on
for all the rest.

Only the democrats/liberals/snowflakes/moonbats
need someone/something else to tell them when to leave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2016 08:53 AM, KenK wrote:
Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.

Turned out it was my pager damn it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 10:17:45 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 10/11/16 9:53 AM, KenK wrote:
Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery warning.. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Considering how expensive 9V batteries are and that it's a PIA to change
them every year, consider replacing your existing smoke alarm with one
of those Kidde 10 year devices.

--
With all this €śgun control€ť talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists€” just from law
abiding citizens€¦

i bought one of those smoke detectors with forever battery. the battery failed after just a few months.

to the trash it went
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/16 9:53 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

First, smoke detectors should be recycled, not put in the trash.

Second, you probably could have had it replaced under warranty. Your situation is not common
and odds are you would have received a longer lasting unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 9:14:44 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

i bought one of those smoke detectors with forever battery. the battery failed after just a few months.

to the trash it went

When Ray-O-Vac came out with a 5 (7?) yr lithium, I gave it a try in a smoke detector...it started beeping in less than 2 weeks! I have never had any faith in R-o-V crap, even before that...but I thought, what the hell! Never again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/11/2016 10:06 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/11/2016 08:53 AM, KenK wrote:
Something started beeping yesterday. Spaced a minute or so apart. First I
thought it was a radio malfunctioning. but after turning things on and
off
it wasn't. Nothing else plugged in and turned on in the room. Finally
after
about a half hour discovered it was the smoke alarm low battery
warning. No
spare 9V batteries, have to buy a few today.

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.

Turned out it was my pager damn it!

That is part of the problem today. Other things beep.
My smoke detectors and CO detector were old and in same hallway upstairs
and downstairs it took a while to find the one beeping.
I replaced all with new with long life batteries and have had no
problems like others here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:06:22 -0500, philo wrote:

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.

It aggravates me that they go off a 2 or 3 AM. Now I first check the
CO detector before pulling out a ladder. Often that battery goes
first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/12/2016 02:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:06:22 -0500, philo wrote:

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.

It aggravates me that they go off a 2 or 3 AM. Now I first check the
CO detector before pulling out a ladder. Often that battery goes
first.

My CO detector runs off the line so does not need a battery.

As to my smoke detectors, the alkaline's seem to last about two years+
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 19:58:30 -0500, philo wrote:

On 10/12/2016 02:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 21:06:22 -0500, philo wrote:

Fifteen or 20 years mine did that at 3 am and I just could not go back
to sleep..so I changed the battery, hopped back in bed only to hear beep
again...so changed the battery in my 2nd detector , went back to bed
and doggone it...the beep was still there.

It aggravates me that they go off a 2 or 3 AM. Now I first check the
CO detector before pulling out a ladder. Often that battery goes
first.

My CO detector runs off the line so does not need a battery.

Mine plugs into a hall wall outlet but for some reason the batteries
seem to deplete faster. AA type

As to my smoke detectors, the alkaline's seem to last about two years+

Yes, the 9V ones. Even longer for the water softener and irrigation
controller.

Will a microwave oven beep for eternity? [email protected] Home Repair 13 May 22nd 15 04:57 AM
SWIMAT beep codes Roland Perry UK diy 23 August 7th 13 06:30 PM
Improvising handset beep? Terry Pinnell Electronics Repair 34 July 13th 06 02:09 AM
BEEP CODES Ferney Electronics Repair 5 July 10th 06 05:01 PM
beep, beep, beep, no post Not so quick Home Repair 13 March 30th 04 02:08 AM