Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED lamp - why doesn't it get short-circuited?

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2016 08:13 PM, John Smith wrote:
I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

---

It is probably not aluminum. The ones I have used are copper
tracks plated with solder. The plating looks like aluminum.
It is also a pain in the neck to solder aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/2016 12:01 AM, T wrote:
On 08/28/2016 08:13 PM, John Smith wrote:
I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

---

It is probably not aluminum. The ones I have used are copper
tracks plated with solder. The plating looks like aluminum.
It is also a pain in the neck to solder aluminum.

One side may be aluminum as a heat sink. The other side may be a printed
circuit board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:43:55 +0630, John Smith wrote:

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

I have no clue. How Its Made did an episode on LED tube lights. Said
the metal served as "heat sink".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:28:05 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

One side may be aluminum as a heat sink. The other side may be a printed
circuit board.

Stop the presses. We have winner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2016 01:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:43:55 +0630, John Smith wrote:

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

I have no clue. How Its Made did an episode on LED tube lights. Said
the metal served as "heat sink".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Do these tubes directly replace florescent tubes, or do your
need to modify something such as the exciters?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:43:13 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/29/2016 01:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:43:55 +0630, John Smith wrote:

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

I have no clue. How Its Made did an episode on LED tube lights. Said
the metal served as "heat sink".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Do these tubes directly replace florescent tubes, or do your
need to modify something such as the exciters?

I guess they do. What are "exciters"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:11:58 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:43:13 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/29/2016 01:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:43:55 +0630, John Smith wrote:

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

I have no clue. How Its Made did an episode on LED tube lights. Said
the metal served as "heat sink".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Do these tubes directly replace florescent tubes, or do your
need to modify something such as the exciters?

I guess they do. What are "exciters"?

Maybe that's the limey word for "ballast?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2016 02:25 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
[...]

Yup and I have been watching too many British shows on
Netflix. ****e!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 16:25:25 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

[...]

I was sorting out the same thing. Likely related to 120 VAC .

Where are the Limey *******s from the yewt kay...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2016 02:39 PM, Oren wrote:
Where are the Limey *******s from the yewt kay...

Hay! They votes for Brexit, so be nice to them. Well,
for the next couple of weeks anyway, then you can go
back to giving them a bad time (they deserve it)!

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 14:36:25 -0700, T wrote:

[...]

How did you wind up, end up in Nevada?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 29, 2016 at 5:55:17 PM UTC-4, T wrote:
On 08/29/2016 02:39 PM, Oren wrote:
Where are the Limey *******s from the yewt kay...

Hay! They votes for Brexit, so be nice to them.

Why do you care one way or the other what the Britts do with
regard to the EU? Seems to me it's their country and their
choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/16 3:11 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 13:43:13 -0700, T wrote:

On 08/29/2016 01:09 PM, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 09:43:55 +0630, John Smith wrote:

I just purchased an LED lamp. After opening it, I saw inside a circular
aluminum plate with LED lights on it. On one end of the power supply is
a 3-lead connector for L, N, and G wires. On the other end are two wires
going to the aluminum plate. Since aluminum is conductive and the wires
seem to go directly to the aluminum plate, why doesn't it get
short-circuited? Is there an invisible circuit on the aluminum plate?

I have no clue. How Its Made did an episode on LED tube lights. Said
the metal served as "heat sink".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-DztJtSFa8

Do these tubes directly replace florescent tubes, or do your
need to modify something such as the exciters?

I guess they do. What are "exciters"?

AKA starters, something that provides a few high-voltage pulses between
the pins to get the lamp going.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2016 02:58 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Ran out of American things to watch on NetFlix. The Korean
Dramas (Soaps) are so much better than the American shows
it is unbelievable. The brits have some good stuff too,
but they talk like they have food in their mouths, so
subtitles it is.

Got a job in Reno. Use to have family up here. I liked it
and I stayed. That was 30 years or so ago.

What made you come Nevada?

The PRC is in a huge gun referendum.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016...nmageddon.html

I wish them the best!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message ...

On 8/29/16 3:11 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

You did say LED, well I do not know but LED works of DC voltage????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/16 3:11 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

You can run AC through them. You have two parallel strands
in opposite polarity. One side is on while the other side is
off. And since the are only on half the time, you can
put more current through them to make up for them being
off half the time.

Works great, except the flicker can be something to behold.
You can tell if this is happening by positioning your hand in
front of one and waving it back and forth. If your hand looks
jittery as it goes back and forth, it is being pulsed.