Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubrication for plumbing non-toxic?

My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2016 3:32 PM, mike wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

I'd clean or replace them. Grease may swell an o-ring. Happened to me
when I put Vaseline on one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2016 4:09 PM, Frank wrote:
On 8/14/2016 3:32 PM, mike wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

I'd clean or replace them. Grease may swell an o-ring. Happened to me
when I put Vaseline on one.

There are food safe silicone lubes for o-rings, but as you say,
replacing is probably the best bet long term.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike,

Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 19:10:59 -0400, "David L. Martel"
wrote:

Mike,

Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.

Dave M.

There are food safe synthetic greases on the market - Synco Super Lube
is one I have used a fair bit of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/14/2016 3:32 PM, mike wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

I'd clean or replace them. Grease may swell an o-ring. Happened to me
when I put Vaseline on one.

There are food safe silicone lubes for o-rings, but as you say,
replacing is probably the best bet long term.

Silicone should be OK. I mention replacement as they sound like Moen
cartridges which last forever. I had so much trouble removing a 35 year
old plus cartridge from my tub that I hired a plumber to do the one in
my shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message ...

My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

Some Key jelly will do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/08/2016 10:26, Bod wrote:
On 15/08/2016 10:00, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Silicone grease.

Here's a link to prove it:

Silicone Grease - Hobby Lubricants
www.hobbylubricants.com/silicone-grease.html
Silicone Grease is a premium quality, non-toxic, chemically resistant,
silicone high temperature grease, available in a handy twist lock cap
plastic tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:26:43 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 10:00, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Silicone grease.

I use WD40 on everything, and despite being told it won't last, it does.

--
Why do our kids have to take the Iowa Test for Basic Skills?
Why can't we have a Georgia Test of Basic Skills with questions like,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/08/2016 15:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:26:43 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 10:00, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Silicone grease.

I use WD40 on everything, and despite being told it won't last, it does.

Silicone grease is the standard lubricant for plumbing. It's non toxic
and does not rot rubber O rings and is safe to use with potable water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 15:54:29 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 15:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:26:43 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 10:00, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Silicone grease.

I use WD40 on everything, and despite being told it won't last, it does.

Silicone grease is the standard lubricant for plumbing. It's non toxic
and does not rot rubber O rings and is safe to use with potable water.

Yes I'd use it if I was putting something together, but to fix something, a quick squirt with WD40 works wonders.

--
To make the train seat next to you remain empty, simply smile at anyone approaching it and pat the seat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/08/2016 15:58, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 15:54:29 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 15:46, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 10:26:43 +0100, Bod wrote:

On 15/08/2016 10:00, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

Silicone grease.

I use WD40 on everything, and despite being told it won't last, it does.

Silicone grease is the standard lubricant for plumbing. It's non toxic
and does not rot rubber O rings and is safe to use with potable water.

Yes I'd use it if I was putting something together, but to fix
something, a quick squirt with WD40 works wonders.

WD40 is basically a solvent, not a lubricant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike,

Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.

Dave M.

+1 ... and it is designated "food grade".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:11:55 +0100, Bod wrote:

[...]

It works well as both.

--
"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."
- Army preventative maintainance publication
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry Mike some of us having little fun.
Go to pool supply store must of them carry grease that is use on
gaskets for water pumps and filters this should do the job!!

"mike" wrote in message ...

My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2016 8:18 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

You keep pushing this stuff. Fine for you if you don't care what poisons
you drink, but my family will pass. I'd recommend the same to all others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2016 3:00 AM, rattlesnake wrote:
On 08/14/2016 07:07 PM, Tony944 wrote:
My kitchen faucet moves left/right via concentric
cylinders. IIRC, they're brass.
It's getting stiff and I want to lubricate it.
What can I use that's non-toxic and harmless to the O-rings?
Probably can't be water-soluble either.

try some ear wax on a q-tip

yes, earwax is a self-cleaning agent, with protective, lubricating and antibacterial properties.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike,

Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.

Dave M.

Yep, thats what I was gonna suggest. I've used it for decades and it
works well. It's made for faucets so it has to be non-toxic, (and should
say so on the label).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 01:51:14 +0100, Bob F wrote:

[...]

There are "poisons" everywhere. Your body doesn't die because you ingest a bit.

--
In 1272, the Arabic Muslims invented the condom, using a goat's lower intestine.
In 1873, the British refined the idea by taking the intestine out of the goat first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 at 5:16:34 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson wrote:
[...]

It's amazing what toxins that naturally occur which the human liver filters out of our bloodstreams. You really have to abuse your liver or catch some liver destroying disease to get into trouble. Plus every sort of microscopic organism is constantly attacking humans. I'm surprised I'm still alive after all the crap I've been through. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Surviving Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mike,

Plumber's Grease is commonly used. Any hardware store should have some.

Dave M.

Yep, thats what I was gonna suggest. I've used it for decades and it
works well. It's made for faucets so it has to be non-toxic, (and should
say so on the label).

I didn't know it contained fumed silica. You can take a look at what traditional "Plumber's Grease" contains. There are two PDF documents. ^_^

http://www.oatey.com/brands/hercules...lumbers-grease

http://tinyurl.com/glwaot7

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2016 1:01 AM, mike wrote:

My research suggests that "plumber's grease" is intended to be used
on the part of the fixture where the valve shaft exits the body.
Any water force from inside pushes it out of the fixture.
The place I want to
use it is INSIDE the water channel. Water force pushes it inside ME.

One of the original options was to replace the o-rings. You could have
been done by now and had water with no worries about contamination.

Two types of people in the world. Those that research endlessly and
those that actually get the job done.

Toxic? ScottWW Woodworking 11 September 19th 15 03:50 AM
Toxic Drywall Graham Jones[_4_] UK diy 5 October 18th 10 09:11 PM
Non-toxic Cleanups Ablang Home Ownership 0 May 16th 09 01:22 AM
Non-toxic materials [email protected] Woodworking 29 December 10th 05 06:13 PM
Toxic wood Stephen Woodturning 28 April 30th 04 02:34 AM