Posted to alt.home.repair

Default alt.hobbies.beekeeping

There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping, anyone know any beekeepers?

I've got a few questions about bees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping,
anyone know any beekeepers?
I've got a few questions about bees.

I'm a beekeeper . My reply-to is good if you 'd like to take this
ffline - I don't check it often , so give me a heads-up here if you email
me and I'll give you my primary .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 9:07:59 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping,
anyone know any beekeepers?
I've got a few questions about bees.

I'm a beekeeper . My reply-to is good if you 'd like to take this
ffline - I don't check it often , so give me a heads-up here if you email
me and I'll give you my primary .
--
Snag

Speaking of beekeeping, how are your bees doing? I understand something is killing off colonies all over the country. Most people have no fraking idea how important bees are and much more important the insects are than most things people are howling about these days. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hive Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 19:53:38 -0500, "generation A" wrote:

There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping, anyone know any beekeepers?

I've got a few questions about bees.

The newsgroup "misc.rural" is still a little active. Try that one....

Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping,
anyone know any beekeepers?
I've got a few questions about bees.

I'm a beekeeper . My reply-to is good if you 'd like to take this
ffline - I don't check it often , so give me a heads-up here if you email
me and I'll give you my primary .
--
Snag

Speaking of beekeeping, how are your bees doing? I understand something is killing off colonies all over the country. Most people have no fraking idea how important bees are and much more important the insects are than most things people are howling about these days. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hive Monster

You are right to be concerned, bees are dying out throughout the world.
The UK is no exception.
People just don't realise how important they are.

Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
[...]

Without bees, WE don't eat. The Dumbassification Of The World has people getting their education from a news media that jumps from one shiny, noisy object to the next and those hapless people are not paying attention in a classroom. The world needs to worship scholars not athletes. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Exasperated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
[...]

Both could be accommodated if the press were to give more prominence to
bees and all of the other creatures we are sadly losing. Mainly through
money and greed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2016 7:53 PM, generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping, anyone
know any beekeepers?

I've got a few questions about bees.

Google "bee Keepers forum" Which is why the newsgroups aren't what
they use to be.
I noticed a bunch of bees getting a drink from where a water meter
was leaking and draining down a storm drain yesterday when dog and I
took our daily walk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping,
anyone know any beekeepers?
I've got a few questions about bees.

I'm a beekeeper . My reply-to is good if you 'd like to take this
ffline - I don't check it often , so give me a heads-up here if you
email me and I'll give you my primary .
--
Snag

Speaking of beekeeping, how are your bees doing? I understand
something is killing off colonies all over the country. Most people
have no fraking idea how important bees are and much more important
the insects are than most things people are howling about these days.
^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hive Monster

Lessee , now where did my soapbox go ... There are a several of things
going on with bees . A major problem has been Varroa Destructor (really !)
mites , not only do they feed on bee larvae , but they are a vector for
several virii that kill the weakened bees . I have a variety of bees that
are varroa resistant , but still lost one (weak) colony to them last winter
..
Another problem is Roundup . While it is not an insecticide , one of the
patented actions of this chemical is as an antibiotic - it kills the
beneficial organisms in the digestive tract . Did you ever wonder about the
recent gigantic upsurge in sales of "probiotics" ? Glyphosate (Roundup)
residue in our food supply is killing the beneficial organisms in our
digestive systems too .
The third major player (IMO) is neonicotinoid insecticides . While a bee
may not gather a lethal dose while out foraging , sublethal dosages can and
do cause problems . These problems , coupled with an upsurge of "bee
havers" - those who dabble without sufficient knowledge and training - who
are out to "save the bees" have resulted in a decline in bee populations .
Those bee havers can produce what beekeepers call "mite bombs" , colonies
that collapse and then are robbed out by other colonies , spreading the
mites and their diseases to other bees yards .
Add all these factors to the "old" bee diseases like foul brood and
others and you get the current situation . All that said , the situation is
not quite as dire as it has been presented and sensationalized by the MSM .
Many don't realize it , but the honeybee , apis mellifera , is not native to
the Americas . It was brought here by European immigrants ... and there are
actually many other species of pollinators that can and will do almost
everything the honeybee does . The one thing none of the others do is
produce honey .
So far this year I have extracted about 7 gallons of light honey from my 3
production colonies (4th is new this year , and I won't be taking honey from
it) and expect to harvest probably another couple of gallons . I do have to
leave them enough to support themselves over the winter and to make brood in
the spring but the rest is mine, mine , mine , allllll mine ...
--
Snag
No chemicals

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
[...]

Interesting. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
[...]

You're a good bee daddy! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Honey Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2016 4:00 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Without bees, WE don't eat. The Dumbassification Of The World has people getting their education from a news media that jumps from one shiny, noisy object to the next and those hapless people are not paying attention in a classroom. The world needs to worship scholars not athletes. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Exasperated Monster

Oh Lord! Another phony crisis! Warning Will Robinson! Warning Will Robinson!

The alarmist nutjobs brought us global warming, climate change, carbon footprints, ozone holes, radon gas, GMOs, antibiotics are
over-prescribed, sugar is bad, wheat is bad, fat is bad, save the forests, and now we got the bee-hugger whackos.

Sheeesh! Does this silly nonsense ever end?

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go pull the window blinds shut. The sun just came up and I'm all out of SPF-1000 sunscreen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What a load of ****ing ****e! There are bees and wasps everywhere, just as there always have been. I've killed several that dared to trespass in my home in the last week.

--
What Gets Longer When Pulled,
Fits Between your Boobs,
Posted to alt.home.repair

generation A wrote:
[...]

WRONG. Many many things pollinate. Other insects, birds, the wind....

--
When I was in the pub I heard a couple of plonkas saying that they wouldn't feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman. What a pair of sexists. I mean, it's not as if she'd have to reverse the bloody thing!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 8:38:55 AM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
On 8/13/2016 4:00 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Without bees, WE don't eat. The Dumbassification Of The World has people getting their education from a news media that jumps from one shiny, noisy object to the next and those hapless people are not paying attention in a classroom. The world needs to worship scholars not athletes. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Exasperated Monster

Oh Lord! Another phony crisis! Warning Will Robinson! Warning Will Robinson!

The alarmist nutjobs brought us global warming, climate change, carbon footprints, ozone holes, radon gas, GMOs, antibiotics are
over-prescribed, sugar is bad, wheat is bad, fat is bad, save the forests, and now we got the bee-hugger whackos.

Sheeesh! Does this silly nonsense ever end?

Now if you'll excuse me I've got to go pull the window blinds shut. The sun just came up and I'm all out of SPF-1000 sunscreen.

I'm not a tree or cloud hugger, I'm not alarmed because I saw it on MSN, I'm concerned because I read of it for years in publications like Scientific American plus peer reviewed scientific journals and had to temper my natural skepticism by asking an expert like Snag who says things aren't as bad but the danger is real. Pollinating insects are very important to the human food supply and chemicals we use everyday are turning out to be bad in some way or another. There are often unintended consequences that don't show up for years. Some medicines once contained radium and foot X-ray machines were common at shoe stores many years ago, you don't see that anymore. So being concerned about environmental damage/pollution is not the same as being a hysterical Chicken Little Anthropogenic Climate Change loon. There's a very big difference. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Consequential Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 07:08:50 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

So far this year I have extracted about 7 gallons of light honey from my 3
production colonies (4th is new this year , and I won't be taking honey from
it) and expect to harvest probably another couple of gallons . I do have to
leave them enough to support themselves over the winter and to make brood in
the spring but the rest is mine, mine , mine , allllll mine ...

What flavor is the honey?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 08:53, generation A wrote:
There hasn't been any post for years on alt.hobbies.beekeeping, anyone
know any beekeepers?

Honey bees worldwide are being threatened by mobile phone signals and
parasites!! Let's stop eating honey!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So far this year I have extracted about 7 gallons of light honey
from my 3 production colonies (4th is new this year , and I won't be
taking honey from it) and expect to harvest probably another couple
of gallons . I do have to leave them enough to support themselves
over the winter and to make brood in the spring but the rest is
mine, mine , mine , allllll mine ...

What flavor is the honey?

"natural" ... this is a very light flavored wildflower honey , and it
tastes like ... honey ! It has a very light floral aroma , in contrast the
darker honey I harvested last fall ws dark and had a very strong floral
aroma and flavor .
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So far this year I have extracted about 7 gallons of light honey
from my 3 production colonies (4th is new this year , and I won't be
taking honey from it) and expect to harvest probably another couple
of gallons . I do have to leave them enough to support themselves
over the winter and to make brood in the spring but the rest is
mine, mine , mine , allllll mine ...

What flavor is the honey?

"natural" ... this is a very light flavored wildflower honey , and it
tastes like ... honey ! It has a very light floral aroma , in contrast the
darker honey I harvested last fall ws dark and had a very strong floral
aroma and flavor .
--
Snag

I wonder what honey is like from sates where the cultivation of marijuana is legal. Oh yea, only 25% of the bees actually work and the rest can't find their way home most of the time. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sweet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 16:13:30 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

I wonder what honey is like from sates where the cultivation of marijuana is legal. Oh yea, only 25% of the bees actually work and the rest can't find their way home most of the time. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sweet Monster

Legal smoke in Nevada is grown in indoor clean rooms. Hidden from the
public. No bees get in the clean rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder what honey is like from sates where the cultivation of
marijuana is legal. Oh yea, only 25% of the bees actually work and
the rest can't find their way home most of the time. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sweet Monster

Legal smoke in Nevada is grown in indoor clean rooms. Hidden from the
public. No bees get in the clean rooms.

Bees won't forage on pot anyway , so y'all can quit worrying about it .
Now a honey infusion ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I wonder what honey is like from sates where the cultivation of
marijuana is legal. Oh yea, only 25% of the bees actually work and
the rest can't find their way home most of the time. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Sweet Monster

Legal smoke in Nevada is grown in indoor clean rooms. Hidden from the
public. No bees get in the clean rooms.

Bees won't forage on pot anyway , so y'all can quit worrying about it .
Now a honey infusion ...
--
Snag

I suppose bees are smarter than humans in that respect and know that a stoned workforce will do no real work and can't respond quickly to a threat to their hive. Imaging a bunch of stoned soldiers, oh wait, my older brother did two tours in Vietnam so he told me about stoned and drunk soldiers. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sober Monster