Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A circuit that outputs 3V when there was a pulse

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/16 6:09 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

How long does the 3V need to last? What should happen if there is
another pulse during the desired "3V on" duration?

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/08/16 21:08, Jon Danniken wrote:

How long does the 3V need to last? What should happen if there is
another pulse during the desired "3V on" duration?

Jon

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone call.
Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 20:09:04 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

Pretty easy to do with chips. Get a ring detector chip and an SCR.
Connect the ring detect to the gate of the SCR and reset it by opening
the circuit to the LED on the SCR anode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/16 9:12 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 12/08/16 21:08, Jon Danniken wrote:

How long does the 3V need to last? What should happen if there is
another pulse during the desired "3V on" duration?

Jon

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone
call. Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

You mean to make something like this:
https://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/p...1fl4u6n28sqc57

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 9:41:15 AM UTC-5, Retired wrote:
On 8/12/16 9:12 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 12/08/16 21:08, Jon Danniken wrote:

How long does the 3V need to last? What should happen if there is
another pulse during the desired "3V on" duration?

Jon

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone
call. Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

You mean to make something like this:
https://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/p...1fl4u6n28sqc57

I'm lazy, if someone already manufactures and sells something for a reasonable price, I'll buy it rather than build it. I can always customize an existing product. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Lazy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

Pretty easy to do with chips. Get a ring detector chip and an SCR.
Connect the ring detect to the gate of the SCR and reset it by opening
the circuit to the LED on the SCR anode.

A quick google produced this, which is cheap and should serve the
purpose:

https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vel...h-relay-output

That's first thing I saw, probably more on Ebay, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a simple circuit that does that?

Pretty easy to do with chips. Get a ring detector chip and an SCR.
Connect the ring detect to the gate of the SCR and reset it by opening
the circuit to the LED on the SCR anode.

A quick google produced this, which is cheap and should serve the
purpose:

https://www.vellemanstore.com/en/vel...h-relay-output

That's first thing I saw, probably more on Ebay, etc.

The Mossad uses something like that to trigger vermin eliminating explosives. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Ring Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 00:50, Uncle Monster wrote:

I'm lazy, if someone already manufactures and sells something for a reasonable price, I'll buy it rather than build it. I can always customize an existing product. ^_^

No harm looking for alternatives and DIY solutions....

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 01:13, Uncle Monster wrote:

The Mossad uses something like that to trigger vermin eliminating explosives. ^_^

You need the right detonators. I think they are being tracked carefully
by all governments.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 21:12:12 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone call.
Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

How bright do you need? They did this 50 years ago with a neon bulb.

No extra diodes, resistors, etc. are required. I assume that the voltage
& current are still within the same tolerances.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 22:06:07 -0400, Mike Duffy
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 21:12:12 +0800, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

I want to flash a super-bright LED when there is an incoming phone call.
Talking about the good, old fixed-line telephone.

How bright do you need? They did this 50 years ago with a neon bulb.

No extra diodes, resistors, etc. are required. I assume that the voltage
& current are still within the same tolerances.

I thought he wanted the LED to latch on to show a missed call.
If you just want to light a LED when the bell is ringing I would put a
couple hundred volt silicon diode (1n4003 or similar) in series with a
6.8k or so resistor and the LED. That should get you close to a
typical 15ma through the LED. Lower ohm resistor will get you a
brighter LED ... until you blow it. Check the spec if you want to be
pedantic about it. Dr Ohm will give you guidance based on 100v or so
ring voltage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 10:06, Mike Duffy wrote:

How bright do you need? They did this 50 years ago with a neon bulb.

No extra diodes, resistors, etc. are required. I assume that the voltage
& current are still within the same tolerances.

I found that neon bulb inside the handset of the fixed-line telephone. I
wanna make it flash brighter, so I want to replace with a modern LED.

SO how could I replace this neon bulb with a modern LED?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 10:38, Bob F wrote:

Google ne555.

Thanks!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 01:50, Uncle Monster wrote:

Heck, buy a cheap dollar store telephone and you have all the parts right there to modify for your needs. o_O

Not an electronic person... so I need some guidance, Master!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 9:38:42 AM UTC-4, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 13/08/16 10:06, Mike Duffy wrote:

How bright do you need? They did this 50 years ago with a neon bulb.

No extra diodes, resistors, etc. are required. I assume that the voltage
& current are still within the same tolerances.

I found that neon bulb inside the handset of the fixed-line telephone. I
wanna make it flash brighter, so I want to replace with a modern LED.

SO how could I replace this neon bulb with a modern LED?

You;ve been given several suggestions now, from a cheap ring detector
module that has a relay output that you can buy, to putting a diode
and resistor with LED on the phone line. And you didn't initially
say where this has to fit, exactly what you're trying to do. It's
still far from clear. Now it sounds like you want to replace an
existing neon bulb in an old phone, where that bulb is probably
driven directly by the ring voltage? In that case, Gfre's solution
of a diode and resistor with LED sounds like it could work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13/08/16 22:44, trader_4 wrote:
still far from clear. Now it sounds like you want to replace an
existing neon bulb in an old phone, where that bulb is probably
driven directly by the ring voltage? In that case, Gfre's solution
of a diode and resistor with LED sounds like it could work.

Thanks! Will look into that and do my homework first.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2016 6:39 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 13/08/16 01:50, Uncle Monster wrote:

Heck, buy a cheap dollar store telephone and you have all the parts
right there to modify for your needs. o_O

Not an electronic person... so I need some guidance, Master!

if you are not an electronic person, just buy something that has been
built by electronic people:

http://www.smithgear.com/krn-ts-082.html

http://www.smithgear.com/whps-15a-wpw.html

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/ampli...cator-100.html