Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default simple one-shot pulse detector circuit needed

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 05:15:02 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Hi all,

I seem to recall from distant memory that it's possible to make a pulse detector out of two of transistors and a few resistors, but I can't find the circuit anywhere. Searches keep throwing up stuff about astable multivibrators and nand gates and that's not what I'm looking for.

Just need to be able to detect a 1 second pulse of 5v on an otherwise 0v line. The pulse comes only after several days of inactivity and should turn an LED on permanently. No reset required and any subsequent pulses must *not* turn the LED off again, so it's operating like a bistable latch (if that's the right term).

Can anyone assist?

Tia.

[snip]

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Hi all,

I seem to recall from distant memory that it's possible to make a pulse detector out of two of transistors and a few resistors, but I can't find the circuit anywhere. Searches keep throwing up stuff about astable multivibrators and nand gates and that's not what I'm looking for.

Just need to be able to detect a 1 second pulse of 5v on an otherwise 0v line. The pulse comes only after several days of inactivity and should turn an LED on permanently. No reset required and any subsequent pulses must *not* turn the LED off again, so it's operating like a bistable latch (if that's the right term).

Can anyone assist?

The 1 second requirement significantly complicates the solution.
If any old pulse will do, use a latching relay...either magnetic latch
or feedback from the contacts.

As always, the devil is in the details.
How much current can you get out of the 5V pulse?
What voltages are available when the pulse is not present?
How do you expect to reset the thing?
What are the specific details of the 1 second requirement?
Timing accuracy and boundary conditions?
Assume you wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't important.

Tia.

[snip]

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Hi all,

I seem to recall from distant memory that it's possible to make a pulse detector out of two of transistors and a few resistors, but I can't find the circuit anywhere. Searches keep throwing up stuff about astable multivibrators and nand gates and that's not what I'm looking for.

Just need to be able to detect a 1 second pulse of 5v on an otherwise 0v line. The pulse comes only after several days of inactivity and should turn an LED on permanently. No reset required and any subsequent pulses must *not* turn the LED off again, so it's operating like a bistable latch (if that's the right term).

Can anyone assist?

The 1 second requirement significantly complicates the solution.
If any old pulse will do, use a latching relay...either magnetic latch
or feedback from the contacts.

... or just a resistor (eg. 4K7) to drive the gate of a 2N5064, in turn
drive an LED with series resistor (4 parts). It will detect a positive
pulse of any length greater than a couple microseconds by latching on,
and thence cease to care about the state of the input, so the LED will
stay on until the power is cycled.

As always, the devil is in the details.
How much current can you get out of the 5V pulse?
What voltages are available when the pulse is not present?
How do you expect to reset the thing?
What are the specific details of the 1 second requirement?
Timing accuracy and boundary conditions?
Assume you wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't important.

Tia.

[snip]

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

Should be battery powered sensors with RF interface available for
security.

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

mike wrote:

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

Outdoors? It wouldn't last. Depending on the type of latch, one of
several types of industrial position sensor would be the best bet.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 11/20/2012 1:43 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

Should be battery powered sensors with RF interface available for
security.

I missed that part of the specification.
Probably want three or more magnetic sensors physically placed
and logically connected to insure that it can't be spoofed by
a magnet without intimate knowledge of the design.
Encase the bullet-resistant box in concrete.
Probably want to put a signal into the razor wire so you can use
it as a proximity sensor. Maybe a satellite phone to call the
cops when the phone lines get cut. And a bluetooth
connection to the alarm system with an encrypted heartbeat
so it can't be jammed.
Probably want at least one guard dog with a wireless heart rate
sensor just in case they get put to sleep.
Of course, destroy all documentation and eliminate everybody
you ever discussed it with. Crush the hard drive.
Grind it up into dust and scatter it at least 10 miles off shore.

If security isn't the primary requirement, there are lots of devices.
The Powerhouse MS13A is a X-10 wireless PIR motion detector.
You could hack a relay into that and get motion plus gate detection.
They have other alarm sensors, but I don't know the numbers.
There are devices designed to alert you when your mailbox door is opened.
Driveway occupancy sensors.
Wireless doorbells.
Garage door openers.
RF TV remotes.

And my personal favorite...close the damn gate. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:25:08 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

mike wrote:

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

Outdoors? It wouldn't last. Depending on the type of latch, one of
several types of industrial position sensor would be the best bet.

And the gate is steel. Maybe the other way around, a coil whose
inductance changes with gate position?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:31:07 -0800, mike wrote:

[...]

Some of us, often referred to as the "evil rich", EMPLOY paisanos who
fail to close the gate.

I know what to do... fire 'em all ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

Some of us, often referred to as the "evil rich", EMPLOY paisanos who
fail to close the gate.

I know what to do... fire 'em all ;-)

Replace them with an electric gate closer. I still see lots of those
24 V satellite motors around. All you need are two wires to the motor,
a 24V 5A supply & a reversing switch. There are a pair of adjustable
limit switches inside that can be set for full open & fully closed. An
On/Off switch for added safety, in case someone tries to stop it by
putting their hand in the wrong place. I have a pair of 18" jacks that
I'm going to use on the swung gates at the end of my driveway. A couple
old C-band sat controllers for the power supplies, and an eight button
RF remote for the truck. The RF remote & matching relay output
receiver are about $10 on Ebay. I should have less than $20 in the pair
of controllers.

The two eight foot pieces of 6" black iron pipe cost me a lot more
than that. The old gate posts are wood, and the gates change position,,
depending on the amount of rain.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

mike wrote:

magnet/reed switch from a burglar alarm door/window ajar sensor.

Outdoors? It wouldn't last. Depending on the type of latch, one of
several types of industrial position sensor would be the best bet.

And the gate is steel. Maybe the other way around, a coil whose
inductance changes with gate position?

...Jim Thompson

There are waterproof inductive proximity sensors with all the
circuitry in a little tube.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Jim Thompson wrote:

Some of us, often referred to as the "evil rich", EMPLOY paisanos
who fail to close the gate.

I know what to do... fire 'em all ;-)

Replace them with an electric gate closer. I still see lots of
those 24 V satellite motors around. All you need are two wires to
the motor, a 24V 5A supply & a reversing switch.

Jim said 'yard gate' and a motor is more suited for a driveway gate.

For the sensor I'd say light beam interruption over a 1-inch gap into which
a little tab enters.

To close it automatically the hinge can be easily modified to use gravity,
with a magnet to pull it the last centimeter hard enough to engage a latch.

Just put a shim between the upper hinge and the post, and mortise it more
deeply into the gate. The magnet might not be needed.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
? Jim Thompson wrote:
? ?
? ? Some of us, often referred to as the "evil rich", EMPLOY paisanos
? ? who fail to close the gate.
? ?
? ? I know what to do... fire 'em all ;-)
?
?
? Replace them with an electric gate closer. I still see lots of
? those 24 V satellite motors around. All you need are two wires to
? the motor, a 24V 5A supply ? a reversing switch.

Jim said 'yard gate' and a motor is more suited for a driveway gate.

For the sensor I'd say light beam interruption over a 1-inch gap into which
a little tab enters.

To close it automatically the hinge can be easily modified to use gravity,
with a magnet to pull it the last centimeter hard enough to engage a latch.

Just put a shim between the upper hinge and the post, and mortise it more
deeply into the gate. The magnet might not be needed.

I was considering his austic grandson. He couldn't open that type of
gate by himself.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 2012-11-20, Jim Thompson wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?

a reed switch like used for alarms...

--
š‚šƒ 100% natural

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:31:26 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?
...Jim Thompson

Perhaps it would be more productive to fix or improve the gate closing
mechanism, thus eliminating the need for a weather proof switch and
associated electronics? There is a wide variety of gate closing
mechanisms available, usually based on a linear or rotary spring
mechanism. Many can be retrofitted to an existing gate:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gate+closers&tbm=isch

Then, there's the cannonball gate closer:
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/CBP.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?
...Jim Thompson

Perhaps it would be more productive to fix or improve the gate closing
mechanism, thus eliminating the need for a weather proof switch and
associated electronics? There is a wide variety of gate closing
mechanisms available, usually based on a linear or rotary spring
mechanism. Many can be retrofitted to an existing gate:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gate+closers&tbm=isch

Then, there's the cannonball gate closer:
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/CBP.htm

Actually I want to know that it was opened. Got a Mexican claiming he
worked when he didn't :-(

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 09:03:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Actually I want to know that it was opened. Got a Mexican claiming he
worked when he didn't :-(
...Jim Thompson

Oh...

Writing software, designing gate alarms, and in general, solving
problems are all easy if you don't worry about error conditions. Real
problem solving is more about dealing with oversights, errors,
anomalies, stupidity, and abuse, than about making it work. Whenever
approaching such things, I ask "What problem are you trying to solve?"
The answer often eliminates a wide assortment of obvious and usually
impulsive solutions.

If you can see the gate from the house, install a security camera and
DVR. I recommend the clear picture of an IP camera over the fuzzy
blurr of a composite video camera. Then you can see who or what
opened the gate. If the Mexican worker is clever, he'll probably
"accidentally" jam the gate open and defeat your scheme. If a camera
and DVR are too elaporate, a PIR motion sensor will detect the Mexican
directly.

However, if you must have a gate switch, the previously recommened
proximity sensors are probably good enough. A burglar alarm type reed
switch and magnet will also work if you keep them away from the metal
gate.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?
...Jim Thompson

Perhaps it would be more productive to fix or improve the gate closing
mechanism, thus eliminating the need for a weather proof switch and
associated electronics? There is a wide variety of gate closing
mechanisms available, usually based on a linear or rotary spring
mechanism. Many can be retrofitted to an existing gate:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gate+closers&tbm=isch

Then, there's the cannonball gate closer:
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/CBP.htm

Actually I want to know that it was opened. Got a Mexican claiming he
worked when he didn't :-(

...Jim Thompson

You keep adding requirements to the spec.
Often, it's useful to monitor the thing you want monitored.
Monitoring attendance is no guarantee that you actually get work.
Stated another way:
If you can't tell if the work was done, you're paying for work
you don't need.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Given your other writings and the generally pejorative outlook towards
your fellow man, why am I surprised to read "mexican?"

Larry

In article ,
Jim Thompson

wrote:

Along these lines, what would the group recommend for a weatherproof
switch to detect that a yard gate is not closed all the way?
...Jim Thompson

Perhaps it would be more productive to fix or improve the gate closing
mechanism, thus eliminating the need for a weather proof switch and
associated electronics? There is a wide variety of gate closing
mechanisms available, usually based on a linear or rotary spring
mechanism. Many can be retrofitted to an existing gate:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=gate+closers&tbm=isch

Then, there's the cannonball gate closer:
http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/CBP.htm

Actually I want to know that it was opened. Got a Mexican claiming he
worked when he didn't :-(

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Lawrance A. Schneider" wrote:

Given your other writings and the generally pejorative outlook towards
your fellow man, why am I surprised to read "mexican?"

Because that's who he paid to do the work? Who else was he going to
hire in Arizona to work outside in the heat?
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:00:01 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Lawrance A. Schneider" wrote:

Given your other writings and the generally pejorative outlook towards
your fellow man, why am I surprised to read "mexican?"

Because that's who he paid to do the work? Who else was he going to
hire in Arizona to work outside in the heat?

Yep. The white guy I fired for poor workmanship also didn't seem to
want the work.

Don't fret over Lawrance... he can't even spell his own name correctly
;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Then why was the post something along these lines??

I've hired two different people to do a task and
it appears that neither even opened a gate necessary
get to where the project is located.

I think that there is more here to explore.

However, at least this time you tried to answer a question; last query
you let others do your bidding. It appears that you frequently want
others to do your work no matter how simple or vapid.

Larry

In article ,
Jim Thompson

wrote:

"Lawrance A. Schneider" wrote:

Given your other writings and the generally pejorative outlook towards
your fellow man, why am I surprised to read "mexican?"

Because that's who he paid to do the work? Who else was he going to
hire in Arizona to work outside in the heat?

Yep. The white guy I fired for poor workmanship also didn't seem to
want the work.

Don't fret over Lawrance... he can't even spell his own name correctly
;-)

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:49:08 -0500, "Lawrance A. Schneider"
wrote:

Then why was the post something along these lines??

I've hired two different people to do a task and
it appears that neither even opened a gate necessary
get to where the project is located.

I think that there is more here to explore.

However, at least this time you tried to answer a question; last query
you let others do your bidding. It appears that you frequently want
others to do your work no matter how simple or vapid.

Larry

---
Congratulations!!!

You top post _and_ flame unnecessarily which, with a total of two
posts in three days to this NG under your belt, must certainly be
close to the record minimum time for proving oneself an asshole.

--
JF