Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Meteor Shower tonight

I'm taking a break from the repairing. Supposed to be twice as many as normal. The story is that the best time is after midnight, after the moon goes down. Best way is to lie flat on a lawn chair with a nice tall drink in one hand, face the northeast and look about 2/3 of the way up.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-how-to-watch

Or watch the live streem....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 1:26:57 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I'm taking a break from the repairing. Supposed to be twice as many as normal. The story is that the best time is after midnight, after the moon goes down. Best way is to lie flat on a lawn chair with a nice tall drink in one hand, face the northeast and look about 2/3 of the way up.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-how-to-watch

Or watch the live streem....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc

When my now-adult kids were young I used to wake them up and take them down this long dirt road that dead-ended at a golf course. There were no lights
anywhere around. We'd lay out the blankets, take the snacks and drinks out
of the car and watch the show.

Thanks for bringing up some great memories!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/11/2016 1:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my now-adult kids were young I used to wake them up and take
them down this long dirt road that dead-ended at a golf course. There were no
lights anywhere around. We'd lay out the blankets, take the snacks and drinks out
of the car and watch the show.

When I was young, the horizon around the house was totally dark except
for the direction towards town and the Milk Way was clearly visible.
Now the light pollution is such its rare to be able to pick out more
than just the faintest trace....most of the population in the US today
has never seen it, probably don't even know it exists...

--

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:53:15 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2016 1:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my now-adult kids were young I used to wake them up and take
them down this long dirt road that dead-ended at a golf course. There were no
lights anywhere around. We'd lay out the blankets, take the snacks and drinks out
of the car and watch the show.

When I was young, the horizon around the house was totally dark except
for the direction towards town and the Milk Way was clearly visible.
Now the light pollution is such its rare to be able to pick out more
than just the faintest trace....most of the population in the US today
has never seen it, probably don't even know it exists...

My daughter used to go to school in Plattsburgh, NY. She used to go camping
near Tupper Lake and Twin Valleys. It's really dark there. There's a public
observatory in Tupper Lake.

The Twin Valleys camp is associated with the school and has an internet
hook-up back to the campus so the students can view the night sky as part
of the Expeditionary Studies program.

As John Hartford used to say "It's darker than the inside of a cow."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...
[...]

Sorry folks. Big disappointment here. I fell for the old "best shower in decades" trick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 2:43:03 PM UTC-6, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

Too many @#$%^ clouds for me. Saw five, one nice one before I called it quits. Best display I saw was about eighteen years ago or so. Seems like too much moonshine, or clouds or something ever since. Maybe next year it will be better.
====
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2016 11:25 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
I'm taking a break from the repairing. Supposed to be twice as many as normal. The story is that the best time is after midnight, after the moon goes down. Best way is to lie flat on a lawn chair with a nice tall drink in one hand, face the northeast and look about 2/3 of the way up.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-how-to-watch

Or watch the live streem....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc

Park them cars in a grage or shelter meteors caus worster damage than hale and most insurance don't cover meteors check youre roof for damage
tomorrow

Meteor shower tonight Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Electronics Repair 1 August 12th 16 09:40 PM
Meteor [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 19th 13 12:55 PM
Meteor Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 15 February 18th 13 03:04 AM
Meteor Martin Eastburn Metalworking 0 February 16th 13 05:13 AM
OT - Free show tonight: Great Perseiids Meteor Shower Morris Dovey Woodworking 12 August 13th 07 06:52 PM