Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Meteor Shower tonight

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...
On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 2:53:15 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 08/11/2016 1:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

When my now-adult kids were young I used to wake them up and take
them down this long dirt road that dead-ended at a golf course. There were no
lights anywhere around. We'd lay out the blankets, take the snacks and drinks out
of the car and watch the show.

When I was young, the horizon around the house was totally dark except
for the direction towards town and the Milk Way was clearly visible.
Now the light pollution is such its rare to be able to pick out more
than just the faintest trace....most of the population in the US today
has never seen it, probably don't even know it exists...

My daughter used to go to school in Plattsburgh, NY. She used to go camping
near Tupper Lake and Twin Valleys. It's really dark there. There's a public
observatory in Tupper Lake.

The Twin Valleys camp is associated with the school and has an internet
hook-up back to the campus so the students can view the night sky as part
of the Expeditionary Studies program.

As John Hartford used to say "It's darker than the inside of a cow."

Sorry folks. Big disappointment here. I fell for the old "best shower in decades" trick.