Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Getting voltage through a flexible conduit

Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-899403-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-899403-.htm

Very confusing, because first you say the outlet box is plastic and
then you say you're having problems with the metal box. Also you don't
typically see metal conduit mixed in with plastic boxes. But if
you're getting a shock between metal conduit and something that is at
ground potential, eg a water faucet, then you have a serious and
dangerous problem. There is apparently a fault that's energizing the
metal and the metal is not properly bonded to earth ground. You
need to get his addressed immediately. It could be a problem on just
one part of one circuit or more extensive, possibly affecting all
circuits in the building.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/10/16 8:14 PM, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet
box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

Where are you checking specifically? Are you checking from these
boxes to a good ground of some sort? Maybe checking to a ground rod?
You'll get a reading of zero voltage if you are checking from one box at 120
volts to another box at 120 volts if the two boxes are on the same leg.
Is the flexible metal conduit connecting the outlet box and the
junction box?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 8:14:05 PM UTC-5, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage
--

If you post some pictures of your problem wiring to an online image sharing site like imgbox.com, we creatures who infest alt.home.repair may better understand what you're dealing with. imgbox is a very easy to use site, I put some pictures on it myself. ^_^

http://imgbox.com/

[8~{} Uncle Image Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/10/2016 07:14 PM, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

there is voltage in coming out of that junction box flexible conduit,
and junction box are with no voltage getting shocked any wires exposed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 4:16:43 AM UTC-4, confusica wrote:
On 08/10/2016 07:14 PM, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

there is voltage in coming out of that junction box flexible conduit,
and junction box are with no voltage getting shocked any wires exposed?

"voltage in coming out of that junction box flexible conduit"

What does that mean?

"junction box are with no voltage getting shocked"

What does that mean?

"any wires exposed?"

I'm guessing that's a standalone question, which makes it the only
part of your post that is (barely) understandable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:52:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

You should never see metallic wiring methods connected to plastic
boxes ... code violation
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article s.com,
Mac wrote:

Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

Mac-

Your circuit is mis-wired. A licensed electrician should be easily able
to correct the problem. Don't hurt yourself.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess that's one good reason why I haven't seen it. LOL