Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Getting voltage through a flexible conduit

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 10:54:43 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:52:11 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-4, Mac wrote:
Getting shocked and there is voltage in the flexible conduit, the outlet box
and junction box are both plastic doesn't seem to have any wires exposed,
there is a metal junction box where the main line is coming in feeding the
outlet that I'm having problems with the metal box and there is a flexible
conduit coming out of that metal junction box with no voltage

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...it-899403-.htm

Very confusing, because first you say the outlet box is plastic and
then you say you're having problems with the metal box. Also you don't
typically see metal conduit mixed in with plastic boxes. But if
you're getting a shock between metal conduit and something that is at
ground potential, eg a water faucet, then you have a serious and
dangerous problem. There is apparently a fault that's energizing the
metal and the metal is not properly bonded to earth ground. You
need to get his addressed immediately. It could be a problem on just
one part of one circuit or more extensive, possibly affecting all
circuits in the building.

You should never see metallic wiring methods connected to plastic
boxes ... code violation

I guess that's one good reason why I haven't seen it. LOL