Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hand truck axle washer

I've put the wheel onto the axle. What is the "official" name of the washer that's pounded onto the axle that prevents the wheel from slipping off the end of the axle?

(I've described the washer at Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware but no one knows what I'm talking about).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/16 2:46 AM, GARYWC wrote:

I've put the wheel onto the axle. What is the "official" name of the washer that's pounded onto the axle that prevents the wheel from slipping off the end of the axle?

(I've described the washer at Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware but no one knows what I'm talking about).

Called "Push Nut Cap for UNthreaded Axle"

See picture at http://www.mcmaster.com/#push-nuts/=13e08ol
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Push Nut Cap fits on the end of the axle.

I need a "washer" that can be pounded 1"-2" along the axle.

The "washer" I need looks something like an Internal-Tooth Lock Washer at http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-lock-washers/=13e0do4

The diameter of the axle is 1/2"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 2:46:49 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
I've put the wheel onto the axle. What is the "official" name of the washer that's pounded onto the axle that prevents the wheel from slipping off the end of the axle?

Rusted?
Posted to alt.home.repair

There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

Your other "choice" was to simply continue the previous thread by providing
more/correct info in a new *post*, not a new *thread*.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Then why is there a "Delete post" option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:36:17 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
Then why is there a "Delete post" option.

Ask Scott. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 10:58:14 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.

If the post has already propagated throughout usenet, any given server's
"cancellation" is not going to pull it back from all other servers, is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.

If the post has already propagated throughout usenet, any given server's
"cancellation" is not going to pull it back from all other servers, is it?

cancels are propogated just like messages.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.

If the post has already propagated throughout usenet, any given server's
"cancellation" is not going to pull it back from all other servers, is it?

cancels are propogated just like messages.

And do all servers honor said propagation? It has always been my
understanding that they do not.

GG shows 2 threads related to his question:

The one I am currently replying in: Hand truck axle washer
And this one: Hand cart axle

Granted, the Hand cart axle does not appear to be a complete thread,
as the first post appears to be an answer, not a question from GARYWC. My
guess is that the original post had already been downloaded and responded to
before the cancellation request propagated throughout usenet, so remnants
of the thread still exist.

AFAIK, the ability to fully cancel a usenet post is hit-or-miss.

Stolen without permission from:

http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/cancel.html

"To better understand canceling, consider what it technically means. When you
post something your posting propagates as a file throughout the net. Copies
of your file are carried by the news server services all around the world on
the hard disks of the service providers (ISPs). When you "cancel" your posting
with your newsprogram what really happens is this. Your program sends out
another, special-format posting from you. It is called a cancel-message. In
fact it is nothing more than another file sent to propagate all through the
system. The file is in a special format. It contains among other things the
message identification of your original message, which you want erased from
the servers carrying your original posting. Whether your original message is
actually deleted from a server (canceled in that sense) depends on whether
the service in question honors cancel-message files or not. There are a lot
of servers on Internet which ignore such cancel files. Thus there is no
guarantee that your original message will actually disappear. What is certain
though, is that the longer you take to cancel (i.e. tell your newsprogram to
send out the cancel file), the more certain it is that your original message
has reached sites which do not put your cancel-message suggestion into effect.
In sum, if you want to cancel, do it right away. After a few days, even hours,
your cancel will be much less effective."
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.

If the post has already propagated throughout usenet, any given server's
"cancellation" is not going to pull it back from all other servers, is it?

cancels are propogated just like messages.

And do all servers honor said propagation? It has always been my
understanding that they do not.

see above, starting with "More accurately..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 9:44:05 AM UTC-4, GARYWC wrote:
There wasn't an "Edit" option so I couldn't change previously-submitted posts to provide more/better information. My only choice was to delete the post and post a new one.

Your original post was not "deleted". AFAIK, you cannot delete a post from
usenet.

More accurately, it is up to each individual usenet server to decide
whether or not to honor cancels.

If the post has already propagated throughout usenet, any given server's
"cancellation" is not going to pull it back from all other servers, is it?

cancels are propogated just like messages.

And do all servers honor said propagation? It has always been my
understanding that they do not.

see above, starting with "More accurately..."

OK, I took that to mean that you were saying it is up to each usenet
provider to allow users to cancel their posts or not. My apologies.

Since we are both talking about the propagation of that request, it looks
like we are on the same page.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/22/2016 9:35 AM, GARYWC wrote:
Then why is there a "Delete post" option.

'Cuz google groups is a web interface, primarily.

But, even if they do honor 'Cancel' on their own servers, usenet
postings are distributed to all servers so once it's gone, it's gone and
exists on and will continue to be distributed to all other usenet
servers that monitor the particular group so it's futile even if one or
two do.

The upshot is usenet is not a user web forum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 07:35:48 -0700 (PDT), GARYWC
wrote:

Then why is there a "Delete post" option.

Study Hillary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Then why is there a "Delete post" option.

Study Hillary.

LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I went to Harbor Freight (twice), Home Depot, Lowes, AutoZone, B&M Auto Parts and Ace Hardware to buy the new wheels, spacers, flat washers and retainer washers (aka "Push Nut Caps for Unthreaded Axles")

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 08:21:32 -0700 (PDT), GARYWC
wrote:

I went to Harbor Freight (twice), Home Depot, Lowes, AutoZone, B&M Auto Parts and Ace Hardware to buy the new wheels, spacers, flat washers and retainer washers (aka "Push Nut Caps for Unthreaded Axles")

....and then what happened?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I went to Harbor Freight (twice), Home Depot, Lowes, AutoZone, B&M Auto Parts and Ace Hardware to buy the new wheels, spacers, flat washers and retainer washers (aka "Push Nut Caps for Unthreaded Axles")

...and then what happened?

They probably sent him to Tractor Supply
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight had the wheels and Ace Hardware had the spacers, flat washers and the retainer washers (Push Nut Caps for unthreaded axles). Home Depot, Lowes and Auto Zone did not have any/most/all of these items.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:57:16 -0700 (PDT), GARYWC
wrote:

Harbor Freight had the wheels and Ace Hardware had the spacers, flat washers and the retainer washers (Push Nut Caps for unthreaded axles). Home Depot, Lowes and Auto Zone did not have any/most/all of these items.

....and then what happened?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2016 1:36 PM, Oren wrote:

...and then what happened?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
BTW, I've put a small hose clamp on the axles of things like that.. and
once drilled a hole through the axle and used a cotter key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

GARYWC posted for all of us...

I went to Harbor Freight (twice), Home Depot, Lowes, AutoZone, B&M Auto Parts and Ace Hardware to buy the new wheels, spacers, flat washers and retainer washers (aka "Push Nut Caps for Unthreaded Axles")

Dat's Nize

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Harbor Freight had the wheels and Ace Hardware had the spacers, flat washers and the retainer washers (Push Nut Caps for unthreaded axles). Home Depot, Lowes and Auto Zone did not have any/most/all of these items.

...and then what happened?

He gave up and hoped someone would help him more...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2016 11:46 PM, GARYWC wrote:

I've put the wheel onto the axle. What is the "official" name of the washer that's pounded onto the axle that prevents the wheel from slipping off the end of the axle?

(I've described the washer at Lowes, Home Depot or Ace Hardware but no one knows what I'm talking about).

Weenie washer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:21:21 -0500, My 2 Cents wrote:

On 7/23/2016 1:36 PM, Oren wrote:

...and then what happened?

Inquiring minds want to know.....
BTW, I've put a small hose clamp on the axles of things like that.. and
once drilled a hole through the axle and used a cotter key.

I've used cotter key pins, broke a couple.

Then used a finish / common nail in a pinch.

....coat hanger wire

Hand truck axle washer GARYWC Home Repair 4 July 22nd 16 06:53 PM
Hand cart axle GARYWC Home Repair 10 July 22nd 16 04:03 PM
Hand truck axle washer GARYWC Home Repair 0 July 22nd 16 07:23 AM
Hand Truck Tire Pressure??? [email protected] Metalworking 1 July 29th 05 07:27 AM
install a washer on axle (VCR repair)??? [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 13th 05 10:17 PM