Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Wooden floor trailer and hot mix asphalt

I am debating picking up some hot asphalt from the local plant to repair pot holes in my driveway. My trailer is dual axle and I have solid metal sides I added, but the floor is pressure treated wood. I plan to lay some metal siding from over the floor that I had left from my pole barn garage.

Could the hot asphalt ignite the wood floor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 9:26:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I am debating picking up some hot asphalt from the local plant to repair pot holes in my driveway. My trailer is dual axle and I have solid metal sides I added, but the floor is pressure treated wood. I plan to lay some metal siding from over the floor that I had left from my pole barn garage.

Could the hot asphalt ignite the wood floor?

Stolen without permission from:

http://www.eapa.org/asphalt.php?c=78

"The average production temperature of hot mix asphalt is between 150°C and 190°C..."

Stolen without permission from:

https://www.reference.com/science/te...1fcab3a521fe3a

"The minimum temperature needed to ignite wood is 180°C...The amount of
time of exposure varies due to the type of wood. Long-leaf wood has the
fastest ignition time at this temperature, taking about 14 minutes to
ignite."

Odds are that the asphalt will be below 180°C by the time it hits your
trailer. With the addition of the metal siding, I'd say that the chance
of the wood actually igniting is pretty slim.

As a extra layer of safety, you might want to consider wetting the trailer
down before loading the asphalt.

(P.S. I'd verify this with the company you are buying the asphalt from.
I'm sure that they know the temperature of their asphalt at loading time.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:26:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Could the hot asphalt ignite the wood floor?

You mean like spontaneous combustion?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 2:04:17 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 06:26:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Could the hot asphalt ignite the wood floor?

You mean like spontaneous combustion?

If it did ignite it wouldn't be "spontaneous". It would be more like "cause and effect".

OT, wooden floor trailer and hot mix asphalt stryped[_3_] Metalworking 12 July 20th 16 05:26 AM
Paint for a wooden trailer JimM UK diy 3 July 16th 12 04:17 PM
Floor tiles over asphalt Neil UK diy 3 May 26th 06 01:20 PM
Internal asphalt floor Stone Cold UK diy 0 January 26th 06 08:41 PM
Asphalt floor tiiles Richard Savage UK diy 0 May 15th 04 05:10 PM