Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pinhole Size Leak in Water Pipe; Moldable Putty products That Work,etc. ?

Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/16 3:11 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

One old trick is to clamp a piece of rubber hose over the leak
with a hose clamp. Is there room to do that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 15:19:32 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 7/4/16 3:11 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

One old trick is to clamp a piece of rubber hose over the leak
with a hose clamp. Is there room to do that?

Good idea. They even have special clamps for this, though anything
might work.

If there is no room, as to epoxies, this worked with a leaking drain
pipe, but I'm not sure if the pressure in a supply pipe would stop it
from working. Of course its' a pin hole so the pressure x area might
be spread about over greater area??? Anyhow PC-7, comes in two 4oz
cans that will keep for 20+ years if you're careful not to let any of
one mix iwth the other and get back in a can. Ace Hardware has the
2-4oz. size. Comes in smaller sizes too/

The pipe was dripping when I applied it, and it hadn't hardened yet
and after it sagged I just kept pushing it back until it hardened.

PC-11 is afaict the same thing but white, and recoommended iirc for
water, which makes no sense to me, but I can't check now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 16:11:54 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

Is that the same pipe that the garage door spring was rubbing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
If there is no room, as to epoxies, this worked with a leaking drain
pipe, but I'm not sure if the pressure in a supply pipe would stop it
from working. Of course its' a pin hole so the pressure x area might
be spread about over greater area??? Anyhow PC-7, comes in two 4oz
cans that will keep for 20+ years if you're careful not to let any of
one mix iwth the other and get back in a can. Ace Hardware has the
2-4oz. size. Comes in smaller sizes too/

I'd suggest to turn off the water, and drain
the pipes as best possible. Wire brush the
leaking area. Mix and apply two part epoxy
such as JB Weld. Allow more than the package
stated hardening time. Best wishes.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 7:28:06 PM UTC-4, Mack the Knife wrote:
On 07/04/2016 04:11 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

One word: SharkBite

yeah replace that part with PEX ........

copper has holes all the way thru for it to leak.......

you only have access to the exterior of the pipe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:37:32 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
If there is no room, as to epoxies, this worked with a leaking drain
pipe, but I'm not sure if the pressure in a supply pipe would stop it
from working. Of course its' a pin hole so the pressure x area might
be spread about over greater area??? Anyhow PC-7, comes in two 4oz
cans that will keep for 20+ years if you're careful not to let any of
one mix iwth the other and get back in a can. Ace Hardware has the
2-4oz. size. Comes in smaller sizes too/

I'd suggest to turn off the water, and drain
the pipes as best possible. Wire brush the
leaking area. Mix and apply two part epoxy
such as JB Weld. Allow more than the package
stated hardening time. Best wishes.

Everyone likes JB weld for some reaosn but PC-7 or 11 is better for
this situation, if not always. It's less runny and more like clay
even before it sets.

Yeah turning off the water is not a bad idea. I dont' think draining
would be needed with PC-7. Maybe sanding the pipe to rough it up a
bit. But the pressure when the water's turned back on... well maybe
it won't have much effect since it's a pinhole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Of course the pressure will have an effect. I "discovered" a pin-hole leak
when I was misted by water about 10 feet from the actual hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
[...]

We agree. I said maybe it won't have *much* effect.

I "discovered" a pin-hole leak
when I was misted by water about 10 feet from the actual hole.

YOu can do the same thing with your thumb over the garden hose.

You remind me that I should have said that the exoxy has to make a
ring all the way around the pipe, to keep it on. Whether it can stop
it from leaking is another question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't sanding the pipe smooth it rather than roughen it?

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 7/4/2016 4:57 PM, Micky wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't that depend on the grade of the sandpaper?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2016 9:58 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/5/16 7:17 AM, Micky wrote:

Yeah turning off the water is not a bad idea. I dont' think draining
would be needed with PC-7. Maybe sanding the pipe to rough it up a
bit. But the pressure when the water's turned back on... well maybe
it won't have much effect since it's a pinhole.

Wouldn't sanding the pipe smooth it rather than roughen it?

If the pipe has a layer of corrosion, the
epoxy might not bond properly to the pipe.

Sanding exposes the copper pipe.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jul 2016 16:24:37 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 16:11:54 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

Is that the same pipe that the garage door spring was rubbing?

The garage pipe was 3/4" Cu, iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 16:11:54 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

Urethane, activated by soaking tape in water.

http://www.adriatech.com/eng/prod_d4%20pipe%20repair%20systems.php

You might a similar product in a hardware / box store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did a similar repair on a Volvo radiator that was leaking around the neck of the fill pipe. I got it spotlessly clean and dry and used JBWeld. It has held about 5 years now.

For plumbing though I'd probably replace the pipe, especially if access is good.

If not, and you want to be sure, get a car body fiberglas kit and wrap the elbow with resin soaked reinforcement tape. I can't see that leaking any time soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 09:58:48 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Yeah turning off the water is not a bad idea. I dont' think draining
would be needed with PC-7. Maybe sanding the pipe to rough it up a
bit. But the pressure when the water's turned back on... well maybe
it won't have much effect since it's a pinhole.

Wouldn't sanding the pipe smooth it rather than roughen it?

Depends on the grade. Rough sand paper will make a surface rougher,
very smooth sand paper will make it smoother.

The finest grade I ever happened to use was by accident. I had a
little 1" car thermometer, which had falled on the car's floor and
gotten scratched up by the dirt and sand there, and I coudl barely see
the needle, and I was mindlessly rubbing it on my blue jeans for a
long time, and it smoothed out a lot. Maybe not all plastic used like
that is that soft, I don't know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah turning off the water is not a bad idea. I dont' think draining
would be needed with PC-7. Maybe sanding the pipe to rough it up a
bit. But the pressure when the water's turned back on... well maybe
it won't have much effect since it's a pinhole.

Wouldn't sanding the pipe smooth it rather than roughen it?

Depends on the grade. Rough sand paper will make a surface rougher,
very smooth sand paper will make it smoother.

The finest grade I ever happened to use was by accident. I had a
little 1" car thermometer, which had falled on the car's floor and
gotten scratched up by the dirt and sand there, and I coudl barely see
the needle, and I was mindlessly rubbing it on my blue jeans for a
long time, and it smoothed out a lot. Maybe not all plastic used like
that is that soft, I don't know.

There are a number of sites that describe using denim to prolong the life
of razor blades. Here is just one example.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Blade-keeping/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yeah turning off the water is not a bad idea. I dont' think draining
would be needed with PC-7. Maybe sanding the pipe to rough it up a
bit. But the pressure when the water's turned back on... well maybe
it won't have much effect since it's a pinhole.

Wouldn't sanding the pipe smooth it rather than roughen it?

Depends on the grade. Rough sand paper will make a surface rougher,
very smooth sand paper will make it smoother.

The finest grade I ever happened to use was by accident. I had a
little 1" car thermometer, which had falled on the car's floor and
gotten scratched up by the dirt and sand there, and I coudl barely see
the needle, and I was mindlessly rubbing it on my blue jeans for a
long time, and it smoothed out a lot.

So much that I could read the thermometer easily.

Maybe not all plastic used like
that is that soft, I don't know.

There are a number of sites that describe using denim to prolong the life
of razor blades. Here is just one example.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...Blade-keeping/

Amazing. I don't know how hard plastic is, though some is easy to
scratch, but I would think that any kind of steel is harder than
cotton. I guess hardness is not the only issue. Or it's harder at
the microscopic level.

I've heard that good scissors should not be used to cut paper, which
dulls them in a way that cutting hair, for example, does not. But I
need to verify that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 16:11:54 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a pinhole size leak in a 1/2" Cu cold water line in house.
At a 90 deg. elbow.

Too old now to do the re-soldering myself, and would like if possible
to avoid a plumber. Really a very small leak.

Are there any putty or epoxy, or... products out there that can
be molded around the pipe, and stand a good chance of actually working ?

If so, brands, etc. ?

Much thanks,
B.

How can you be "too old" to solder a copper fitting? Unless you're in a
wheelchair, anyone who knows how to solder a fitting can do it. I'm
elderly myself, and wont even consider replacing my roof, or even
painting my house exterior, but soldering a fitting is child's play. You
can even buy copper fittings these days that come with the solder, just
clean the pipe, wipe on some flux, shove the fitting on the pipe, and
heat it with a torch.

I would almost guarantee that JB Weld will work, but are you really
willing to risk having a major flood in your house if that leak
re-appears while you are on vacation? Pin holes turn into larger holes
and if that elbow is weak, it will get worse over time.

To use any "glue" you will need to completely drain all water, make sure
the pipe is 100% dry, and then wait a full day for the glue to dry. If
you ask me, that's more work and time than just soldering in a new
piece.

If you listen to others on this thread, who suggested a sharkbite or
small section of PEX, remember, you will need to put a copper bonding
wire across the plastic, to insure that the copper never becomes
"electrically live" in the event there is some sort of electrical
problem in your home. Of course all of this adds to the cost and time
involved in this repair.

Shut off the TV, get out of your "easy chair" grab your torch, and
solder in a new fitting..... OR pay a plumber to do it right!!!

By the way, a pin hole in an elbow is often caused because lightning
struck your house. I saw this several times when I worked as a plumber.
The lightning bolt followed the pipe, then exited at the elbow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 1:39:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps it would require standing on a ladder or similar to do the work.
Sweating pipe takes both hands and a little time, where molding some
putty around the pipe might enable him to hang on to something stable
with one hand.

I know my mother became timid about standing on ladders when she
got to be about 80. I'm now in charge of changing light bulbs in
ceiling fixtures for her. If she lives to be 100, we'll have to
hire someone because I'll be too old to stand on a ladder, too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 1:54 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

At age 76, proud of myself yesterday climbing step ladder in kitchen to
change bulbs in fixture with a glass dome, I've always been concerned
about dropping. Bifocals, early AMD and arthritis make simple jobs for
those 50 year old kids not easy for us.

Replaced two crappy CFL's with LED's that should last as long as we have
to live. Before one of the CFL's burned out, there was an annoying hum
for years from one or both of the bulbs. I've seen it in other CFL's.

Also snaked AC condensate pipe that was clogged. Took me a while to
figure that one out as it was not completely plugged and seemed to be
dripping as usual into French drain.

Been a long time since I sweated a pipe and it was difficult in the
basement ceiling. I went through the epoxy thing myself but it did not
hold up long.

Been a few years since I hired a plumber but last time I did I saved 3
jobs for him to do to keep cost down. OP just discovering problem would
cut plumbers time. Often takes longer to find the source of a leak than
to repair it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 10:54:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

In a normal height basement, an average guy can usually solder a fitting
from the floor, or one step up on a step ladder. Or stand on a solid
chair. With those "pre-soldered" fittings, it really only takes one hand
to do the soldering. If getting on a ladder or chair is too tough for
the OP, he could get a friend, neighbor or relative to do the actual
"ladder work". That person might learn a valuable lesson too.

Personally, I'd use a ladder over a chair, because there is something to
hold in to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 2:25:29 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
[...]

Good for you. Ignore PaintMan's stupid comment.

My dad is 86. He is not in a wheelchair, but he sure wouldn't
consider climbing on a ladder (or even under a sink) to cut
out a bad section of copper pipe and sweat in new section.

Playing with fire in a confined space is not a safe activity
for anyone, of any age, with limited mobility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 15:48:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The age comment is questionable, but the potential for a leak with a
glue patch is spot on. I'd either solder or cut it out and use a
Sharkbite.

If a ladder is needed to solder a fitting, it will probably also be
needed to cut the pipe and install the sharkbite. If the ladder is the
issue, it's best he hire a plumber, or get a friend to do the work. It's
not that hard of a job, so any able person can do it.