Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Abrasion On Cu Water Pipe: What To Wrap With ?

Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:31:01 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

No. Do the job the proper way -- either move the pipe, the spring or both to eliminate the problem. Sheesh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 6:04:28 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:31:01 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

No. Do the job the proper way -- either move the pipe, the spring or both to eliminate the problem. Sheesh.

absolutely. do it right.

replace that section of water line with pex
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:31:02 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

I guess you could tape a thin piece of wood to it, like the large
paint mixing sticks for 5 gallon pails to it, to protect it. But
it sounds like the correct solution is to move one or the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/16 4:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

PVC conduit repair kit. It's just a piece of pvc sliced in two
lengthwise.
One he http://www.conduitrepair.com/product_repairKits.html
The local hardware store would have a pvc pipe nipple that could be
sliced
lengthwise. Glue and/or hose clamps to put it together where you want
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 6:58:17 PM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/3/16 4:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

PVC conduit repair kit. It's just a piece of pvc sliced in two
lengthwise.
One he http://www.conduitrepair.com/product_repairKits.html
The local hardware store would have a pvc pipe nipple that could be
sliced
lengthwise. Glue and/or hose clamps to put it together where you want
it.

I like that idea. Couple PVC nipples cut length wise, gives you 4 pieces.
Glued at 4 spots should do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2016 6:56 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 5:31:02 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

I guess you could tape a thin piece of wood to it, like the large
paint mixing sticks for 5 gallon pails to it, to protect it. But
it sounds like the correct solution is to move one or the other.

Anything put there to stop the rub will be forgotten about until the
copper eventually wears through. Could be next month or five years from
now. If there is some flex, attach a wire to it and attach it to an
anchor on the wall to pull it away.

Alternative is a piece of PEX and two sharkbite fittings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

+1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/16 9:40 PM, wrote:
+1

???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:40:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

+1

+1 to what??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2016 5:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

Some thing hard like platinum, or titanium might
last for a while.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:58:12 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote in

On 7/3/16 4:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

PVC conduit repair kit. It's just a piece of pvc sliced in two
lengthwise.
One he http://www.conduitrepair.com/product_repairKits.html
The local hardware store would have a pvc pipe nipple that could be
sliced
lengthwise. Glue and/or hose clamps to put it together where you want
it.

That looks like it is worth a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 3, 2016 at 9:51:58 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/3/2016 5:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and
closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

Some thing hard like platinum, or titanium might
last for a while.

Platinum is not hard...how about your head?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:51:33 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Alternative is a piece of PEX and two sharkbite fittings.

Bingo and route the line differently, away from the problem.

I trying to imagine why a water line is near the spring/door to begin
with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/16 10:47 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:40:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

+1

+1 to what??

He concurs with the previous posted solution he was responding to.

--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:05:45 -0400, Wade Garrett wrote:

On 7/3/16 10:47 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 19:40:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

+1

+1 to what??

He concurs with the previous posted solution he was responding to.

He didn't respond to any solution. He responded to the original post that was asking a question.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 17:31:01 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Have a 3/4 house Cu water pipe that is being abraded by a garage door
spring when it opens and closes.

Very hard to re-position either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might "wrap" the Cu pipe with
to minimize the abrasion caused by the spring coils as it opens and closes ?

Thanks,
Bob

Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Flooding is no fun. The only
solution is to move the pipe. I'm sure you can move it over at least a
few inches by adding or removing a few inches and/or modifying the
fittings to re-route it.