Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Conditioning for Stand-Alone Garage

(This is the fourth time I've tried to post this message so if older ones appear at some point, please respond to THIS thread and I'll delete the others.)

Im going to buy a house next month with a separate garage that I want to make into a workshop and music practice area. The building inspections were yesterday and theres no insulation in the garage attic so the guy said the walls probably dont have any either. He said it would be an easy matter to blow foam in the attic but holes would have to be cut in the walls to insulate them. Im considering doing both. What do you think? Do you have any idea what this would typically cost?

I measured the dimensions of the inside of the garage and it is 4400 cu feet. This Sunday, the weather forecast is for clear skies and 95 degrees. If I use that for the load, how many BTUs of cooling are needed to make it comfortable inside the garage in a reasonable amount of time?

The garage has power but not 220V at this time. Will I need that?

The cooling season here in New Orleans is around 9 months. Over 20 years, will the extra cost of a compressor and air handler pay for itself in reduced operating costs compared to a window unit?

Any other thoughts on this project?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2016 11:29 AM, Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

OK, here is your response. Now you can stop posting. I don't have an
answer to your questions, but you can stop posting the same item now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2016 2:29 PM, Bob Simon wrote:
[...]

The insullation is a very good idea.
Also weatherstripping. If you don't
plan to use the garage door, you may
consider insulation and vapor barrier
there also.

How many amps of 120 VAC do you have?

The energy efficiency is based (in large
part) on what type of compressor. Many
window units have rotary (good) compressor,
and many split systems have piston type
(bad) compressors.

--
..