Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Indicator Oscillating

This is an intermittant problem that only happens when driving with the headlights on -- but does happen every time. Any ideas how to troubleshoot it?

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60% position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the headlights on. Then I cleaned all the connections in the starting systems from battery terminal to hot connections and grounds, and the problem stopped.

Then last week, I had driven to a store at dusk with the lights on - no problem indicated. I left the lights on for 20 minutes while in the store. Then when I started, the battery needle start oscillating from 50% to 100% regularly, and the battery warning light started blinking off and on.

Car was running fine so I turned off the headlights and just put on the parking lights so I could drive the 2 miles home. After driving about 1/2 mile the oscillating and flashing stopped.

I have tried to duplicate the problem so I could show a mechanic, but all is back to normal for now.

Without knowing anything, I would guest that the computer detected some kind of low voltage and the swinging and flashing was an attention-getter, and not the actual reading.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

That's a likely possibility. I'd start with having the battery load tested,
which you can get done at most auto parts stores for free. Many will

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

Thanks, is that something that can be checked before it acts up again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 2:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

Leaving the lights on 20 minutes would put more load on the alternator
when you did start the car. The first thing that comes to mind is that
for some reason the alternator is unable to work properly under high load.

The second thing that comes to mind is some serious sounding problems
have simple solutions. Higher load makes the alternator work harder.
It can be something as simple as a slipping belt. I'd tighten or
replace it before rebuilding the alternator. Yes, I've seen it happen
more than once. .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 10:59:03 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Good point about checking the belt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 8:20:56 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

--

get the battery load tested, batteries can get internal intermittent shorts. had that happen once, it was terrible and couldnt be found. the battery was pretty new.......

finally decided to repplace battery, problem went totally away..

a year later a buddy cut the batter apart andfound on cells plate was bent, and must of intermittetly shorted
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

"bob haller" wrote in message ...
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 8:20:56 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

--

get the battery load tested, batteries can get internal intermittent shorts. had that happen once, it was terrible and couldnt be found. the battery was pretty new.......

finally decided to repplace battery, problem went totally away..

a year later a buddy cut the batter apart andfound on cells plate was bent, and must of intermittetly shorted

Thanks BH. Will check it out. I remember that the meter started slightly cycling from time to time when the headlights were one before the battery was replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/21/2016 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Good point about checking the belt.

Albeit doesn't virtually everything now use just the single multi-rib
serpentine belt with the auto tensioner setup? Not to say can't
eventually stretch where there's insufficient takeup and I have had the
tensioners fail/hang up where not doing its job but overall not nearly
the issue used to be w/ separate, manually adjusted v-belt setup.

The oscillating nature makes me wonder also about the symptom, but could
alternatively (so to speak ) grab/slip a little I suppose...

Agree the symptom being so much more observable after the battery drain
is indicative it's happening under the heavier load...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

On Sat, 21 May 2016 07:39:00 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

Thanks, is that something that can be checked before it acts up again?

Or the brushes are worn out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 May 2016 23:17:42 -0700, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"
wrote:

[...]

My 1991 Aerostar did the same. I replaced the regulator and brushes
and it was good for a couple months, then started doing it again. The
local wrecker had a rebuild off a wreck I was able to purchace for
less than another new regulator with a 2 year replacement warranty -
it lasted several years 'till I sold the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:44:00 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 05/21/2016 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Good point about checking the belt.

Albeit doesn't virtually everything now use just the single multi-rib
serpentine belt with the auto tensioner setup? Not to say can't
eventually stretch where there's insufficient takeup and I have had the
tensioners fail/hang up where not doing its job but overall not nearly
the issue used to be w/ separate, manually adjusted v-belt setup.

Agree, the belts today would typically be a lot less susceptible,
particularly with automatic tensioner.

The oscillating nature makes me wonder also about the symptom, but could
alternatively (so to speak ) grab/slip a little I suppose...

Agree the symptom being so much more observable after the battery drain
is indicative it's happening under the heavier load...

--

I'd say an alternator problem, most likely VR or brushes, is the most
likely problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 05/21/2016 1:17 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:

For awhile the needle would oscillation between the normal 50-60%
position a few degrees after driving a half hour or more with the
headlights on. ...

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

My money would be on the internal regulator in the alternator is acting
up...

Thanks, is that something that can be checked before it acts up again?

Sadly, the answer is basically no. You MIGHT be able to trick it into
misbehaving again by putting a carbon pile load tester on the battery
to draw down the voltage with the vehicle running - but I wouldn't
count on it.
That's why, knowing the problem was in the alternator, and having
already replaced the regulator and brushes once on mine, I simply
replaced rhe alternator when it started intermittently doing it again.
I couldn't be bothered digging deaper into it for the $30 cost of a
used, very recently rebuilt unit from the local "used parts emporium"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2016 1:25 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

What is he driving? Could be a '62 Chevy with no auto tensioner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 May 2016 16:35:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I believe the OP drives a 1995-ish Aerostar, but I could be mistaken.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks. $30 is a bargain. Alternators here are $150 new with lifetime warranty, $100 rebuilt w/ 1 year. If it were easier to swap out, that's what I would do. Still looking for a way to isolate to battery or alternator first. Already checked that connections are all good.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos.ford

wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
[...]

and OEM new alternators are closer to $600.

I checked the wreckers and took the best one they had - had been
installed less than 2 weeks bdfore the car was wrecked and cost the
same as a 10 year old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2016 11:17 PM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

Cross the bi-pole crystals into sub-panel B, then hope for the best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ....
[...]

Driving over to one of the auto parts stores that does free battery and charging system tests is too hard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'll try to take a look at this weekend post what I find out if anything. But if I find a nice BBQ on sale, all bets are off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message ...
[...]

---

Still trying to find the time. I was able to catch it cycling just now. No time to check at the alternator tonight, but here's some voltages at the battery terminal.... Turn signals seems to cause the cycling tonight, although I have seen it cycling with just the lights on.

Battery with engine off - 13.6
Turned engine on
Idling with no lights - 15.0 steady
Turned on parking lights - 15.0 steady
Turned on headlights - 15.0 steady
Turned on headlings and turn signal - 15.2-15.8 cycling
No lights, turn signal on - 15.2-15.8 cycling

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 11:25:53 PM UTC-4, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
[...]

You sure your meter isn't busted? Fully charged battery is just 12.7V

Turned engine on
Idling with no lights - 15.0 steady
Turned on parking lights - 15.0 steady
Turned on headlights - 15.0 steady
Turned on headlings and turn signal - 15.2-15.8 cycling
No lights, turn signal on - 15.2-15.8 cycling

Those look like they are about 1V high too. I suspect your meter
is off. You could try a fresh 9V battery to check, that should be around 9..5V.

Assuming the meter is off, I don't see anything unusual in your
readings. It's not dropping anywhere that would indicate a
charging problem that would put the dash light on. Exactly what
puts the light on varies from car to car. Some use the old method,
where it's essentially a light bulb tied to 12V on one end, the
other goes to the alternator. If the voltage there drops low,
the bulb lights up. Others now have the computer monitoring the
voltage at the alternator and it decides when to turn the light on.