Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Battery Indicator Oscillating

On Sat, 21 May 2016 16:35:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/21/2016 1:25 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, May 21, 2016 at 12:44:00 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 05/21/2016 10:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Good point about checking the belt.

Albeit doesn't virtually everything now use just the single multi-rib
serpentine belt with the auto tensioner setup? Not to say can't
eventually stretch where there's insufficient takeup and I have had the
tensioners fail/hang up where not doing its job but overall not nearly
the issue used to be w/ separate, manually adjusted v-belt setup.

Agree, the belts today would typically be a lot less susceptible,
particularly with automatic tensioner.

The oscillating nature makes me wonder also about the symptom, but could
alternatively (so to speak ) grab/slip a little I suppose...

Agree the symptom being so much more observable after the battery drain
is indicative it's happening under the heavier load...

--

I'd say an alternator problem, most likely VR or brushes, is the most
likely problem.

What is he driving? Could be a '62 Chevy with no auto tensioner.

I believe the OP drives a 1995-ish Aerostar, but I could be mistaken.