Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microsoft is Pushing Windows 10 Hard

Windows 10 debuted a little over 8 months ago, leaving less than 4
months for you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 free
of charge. The exact cutoff date is July 29, 2016. But even if you have
decided to stick with one of the older Windows versions, you may soon
wake up in the morning to find Windows 10 has taken its place. Here's
what you need to know...

http://askbobrankin.com/sneaky_micro..._10_hard.html?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 1:59 PM, David B. wrote:
Windows 10 debuted a little over 8 months ago, leaving less than 4 months for
you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 free of charge. The
exact cutoff date is July 29, 2016. But even if you have decided to stick with
one of the older Windows versions, you may soon wake up in the morning to find
Windows 10 has taken its place. Here's what you need to know...

No surprise, here.

How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

Based on an examination of the desktop? (if I put a Windows95 desktop on your
machine, would that convince you that it was running W95?)

Based on what "My Computer | Properties" claims? (so, if I LIE and tell you
it's 7even, will you believe me?)

Most users are clueless as to what's happening under the hood. And, damn
near powerless to do anything about it!

That's why god created lemmings...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 04:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

For me, it's the one I PUT there.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 5:05 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/18/2016 04:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[snip]

How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

For me, it's the one I PUT there.

If that one has provisions to update itself, then all
bets are off -- unless you never let it talk to
anything.

And, as you have no control over the codebase (on most
commercial OS's), you don't know if it might decide
to stop working if it finds this update process impaired!
(of course, that would be FOR YOUR PROTECTION! : )

"Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 03:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

If you can't tell 7 from 10, you have a problem. Hint: if you can't find
anything, it's 10.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2016 7:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2016 03:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

If you can't tell 7 from 10, you have a problem. Hint: if you can't find
anything, it's 10.

My point was that the user interface is the only thing that folks
see. I could layer anything atop 10 (or 27!) and make it look
like whatever -- and you be none the wiser.

I.e., you have no idea what's happening under the hood. No idea
what network traffic is being created (or, *deferred* for a later
time).

So, no way of knowing if that 7even box is actually W10 guts with
a 7even GUI layered atop it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2016 08:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2016 03:09 PM, Don Y wrote:
How do you *know* what OS a machine is running?

If you can't tell 7 from 10, you have a problem. Hint: if you can't find anything, it's 10.

I'm sure you know this but for the benefit of others, Classic Shell restores some sanity to Win 10

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Shell
http://www.classicshell.net/

Posted to alt.home.repair

David B."David wrote:
Windows 10 debuted a little over 8 months ago, leaving less than 4
months for you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 free
of charge. The exact cutoff date is July 29, 2016. But even if you have
decided to stick with one of the older Windows versions, you may soon
wake up in the morning to find Windows 10 has taken its place. Here's
what you need to know...
http://askbobrankin.com/sneaky_micro..._10_hard.html?

Forget windows, get Linux. Get a live CD, boot from CD, see how easy it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 9:22:44 AM UTC-5, Lee dorman wrote:
David B."David wrote:
Windows 10 debuted a little over 8 months ago, leaving less than 4
months for you to upgrade your Windows 7 or 8 system to Windows 10 free
of charge. The exact cutoff date is July 29, 2016. But even if you have
decided to stick with one of the older Windows versions, you may soon
wake up in the morning to find Windows 10 has taken its place. Here's
what you need to know...
http://askbobrankin.com/sneaky_micro..._10_hard.html?

Forget windows, get Linux. Get a live CD, boot from CD, see how easy it is.

At home I have some computers loaded with Linux but I like PC-BSD. I don't have it loaded on anything lately but I want to try it again when I get back home. Oh yea, the BSD girls are cuter. ^_^

http://www.pcbsd.org/

http://freebsd-image-gallery.netcode...ery=Daemonette

[8~{} Uncle BSD Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2016 3:19 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

At home I have some computers loaded with Linux but I like PC-BSD. I don't
have it loaded on anything lately but I want to try it again when I get back
home. Oh yea, the BSD girls are cuter. ^_^

Definitely, horny-er!