Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mini-split

Hi,

Got a tiny concrete cottage about 700 square feet. Been thinking about
adding a mini-split heat pump. This is a rental property for poor people.

What has been your experience? What brand names are good? Advice?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 10:54:45 +0000 (UTC), sam
wrote:

Hi,

Got a tiny concrete cottage about 700 square feet. Been thinking about
adding a mini-split heat pump. This is a rental property for poor people.

What has been your experience? What brand names are good? Advice?

I have 2 of them. They work well but the fact that they use a remote
control might be troubling in a rental. Expect them to get lost. I
would switch mine to a wall mounted thermostat in a heartbeat if there
was an easy way to do it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sam wrote:

Hi,

Got a tiny concrete cottage about 700 square feet. Been thinking
about adding a mini-split heat pump. This is a rental property for
poor people.

What has been your experience? What brand names are good? Advice?

Had a Pioneer system at my last place.
Easy to install and had no issues with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 11:23:30 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 12:00:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:

wrote:

Hi,

Got a tiny concrete cottage about 700 square feet. Been thinking about
adding a mini-split heat pump. This is a rental property for poor people.

What has been your experience? What brand names are good? Advice?

I have 2 of them. They work well but the fact that they use a remote
control might be troubling in a rental. Expect them to get lost. I
would switch mine to a wall mounted thermostat in a heartbeat if there
was an easy way to do it.

can't you wall mount the remote in some fashion?

They give you a bracket to hang it on the wall but you can't make it
stay there. It has to come out to change the batteries and that means
it can be taken out and lost. I don't know why people think they need
the remote with them but I find them scattered around. I still do not
understand this "remote" madness but everything seems to have a remote
these days.

Perhaps this might help...

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lok-4023.../dp/B0055V5NQK

A renter might try to remove the cable for a TV remote, but for a piece of HVAC equipment
they wouldn't really need to tamper with it. It's worth a shot.

It would be a lot easier if they would just let you put a thermostat
on the wall and get rid of the remote altogether.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/15/2016 6:54 AM, sam wrote:
Hi,

Got a tiny concrete cottage about 700 square feet. Been thinking about
adding a mini-split heat pump. This is a rental property for poor people.

What has been your experience? What brand names are good? Advice?

You might find it cheaper to get one or
two Walmart window AC. Renters can be
hell on fixtures.

--