Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Atheists religious

No.
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:06:57 PM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
No.
--
Bod

....you must be talking to the voices in your head! ¯\_(︿)_/¯
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 May 2016 19:06:51 +0100, Bod wrote:

No.

They still have the same evangelical zeal as the most oppressive
religions.
If you have any other beliefs you are persecuted for them in the
public square and in the courts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2016 19:39, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:06:57 PM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
No.
--
Bod

...you must be talking to the voices in your head! ¯\_(︿)_/¯

Ah! you're a Telepath. Hey! you shouldn't be listening ;-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 1:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

Being "religious" is a behavior, and not necessarily related to
religion, so, yes, Atheists can be religious.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

One wonders.....what do they say instead of "God dammit"?

--
With all this gun control talk, I havent heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists just from law
Posted to alt.home.repair

**** it, comes to mind.

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:00:03 PM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

One wonders.....what do they say instead of "God dammit"?
--

In the newest incarnation of Battlestar Galactica, the curse was,"Gods dammit!" In the original series the writers had to invent curse words like,"Frak" and my favorite,"Feldercarb" which was the equivalent of "male bovine droppings." ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Fraking Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:53:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:13:30 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Grow up Booby V, quit being so childish. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle A dull Monster

....you don't like when I change your sig....*︵*凸

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:00:38 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:53:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:13:30 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Grow up Booby V, quit being so childish. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Adult Monster

...you don't like when I change your sig....*︵*凸

You're being childish but I understand, you may have nothing else to do for entertainment. Me, I watched the latest Avengers movie last night. I can't go to a theater so I get on the pirate sites to catch the latest flicks. I lucked out on the movie. It wasn't a cam copy, it was HD and only had a little Chinese writing showing up on the screen from time to time. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Grownup Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 2:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

One wonders.....what do they say instead of "God dammit"?

They still say God Dammit but without the guilt of being brainwashed
that it's the Lords name in vain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 6:41 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

People in general = hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy has nothing to do with religion.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

Correct, but it is a faith.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:11:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:00:38 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:53:30 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 5:13:30 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

"Judge not, lest ye be judged".

Grow up Booby V, quit being so childish. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Adult Monster

...you don't like when I change your sig....*︵*凸

You're being childish but I understand, you may have nothing else to do for entertainment. Me, I watched the latest Avengers movie last night. I can't go to a theater so I get on the pirate sites to catch the latest flicks. I lucked out on the movie. It wasn't a cam copy, it was HD and only had a little Chinese writing showing up on the screen from time to time. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle "ownup" Monster

Sounds like a kiddie thing to watch...and then there's the juvenile pirating for your own-up to being infantile! Face it, you're a big baby being taken care of...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 8:13 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:41 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

People in general = hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy has nothing to do with religion.

It does when self-righteous Christians preach and judge to others how
they should live yet fail to live the Christian life themselves. Many
justify their acts with thinking they can erase their sinful past with a
monthly confession. It's hypocritical.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 8:27 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

Self-righteousness is a problem with humanity in general.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 7:59:22 PM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:
[...]

There you go being childish again. The Avengers franchise is a real moneymaker. "Captain America, Civil War" is the latest of the Avengers movies and it's very entertaining. I enjoyed it since I've been a SciFi fan for a very long time. The movie pulled in $180 million on its opening weekend so I'd say it's pretty popular. ^_^

http://io9.gizmodo.com/captain-ameri...-mo-1774531191

http://tinyurl.com/jxfap7h

[8~{} Uncle Super Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2016 19:59, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

One wonders.....what do they say instead of "God dammit"?

What other way is there to say it in English?

--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-11 2:59 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

One wonders.....what do they say instead of "God dammit"?

**** it, comes to mind.

lol

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2016 00:41, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

Indeed, I'm being accused of hate etc, yet the only nastiness is coming
from the the Bible bashers. Funny that.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2016 01:13, Muggles wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:41 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

People in general = hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy has nothing to do with religion.

I believe in give and take, ie; Give someone a black eye then take all
their money ;-)

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2016 01:21, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 5/11/16 2:06 PM, Bod wrote:
No.

Correct, but it is a faith.

You're misusing the word faith in the context that we are discussing.
You're twisting the word to suit yourself.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/05/2016 02:27, Meanie wrote:
[...]

"Father! I killed 3 babies last night"
"you did right to confess my son, you will now be absolved...mum's the
word" wink wink :-)

Absolve

verb
past tense: absolved; past participle: absolved
declare (someone) free from guilt, obligation, or punishment.
"the pardon absolved them of any crimes"
synonyms: exonerate, discharge, acquit, exculpate, vindicate; More
(in church use) give absolution for (a sin).
"she asked the bishop to absolve her sins"

*Hypocrisy with a big H*
--
Bod

Posted to alt.home.repair

A theist believes there is a god or gods, whatever
that means. An atheist believes there is no god or
gods.

What do they mean by god? That could be a big
topic. But both types of people believe in something
by definition. It's implied that their belief exists with
or without experiential evidence. Thus, it's dogma.
Dogma seems to be what most atheists think religion
is.
An atheist does not believe in their own definition
of a god. (They're typically not curious about how
the religious people define god.) And atheists espouse
that anti-belief quite vehemently in most cases. Thus
most atheists are deeply religious by their own definition.
But don't tell them that. They'll seethe at you and
brand you a heretic.

(If you don't think so, check out the philosophy
newsgroup. It's populated in large part by intensely
religious, atheist zealots.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 1:49 AM, Bod wrote:
On 12/05/2016 01:13, Muggles wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:41 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

People in general = hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy has nothing to do with religion.

I believe in give and take, ie; Give someone a black eye then take all
their money ;-)

I believe in duck and cover when the weather gets bad!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 7:25 AM, Bud Frede wrote:

I may disagree with your religious beliefs, but I would never march into
your child's funeral and try to disrupt it or use it for my own aims.

From my experience, it's people with strongly-held religious beliefs
that often get carried away and try to force their views on other people
- to the point of killing those who won't knuckle under or have the
wrong shaped nose or skin color, etc.

I've had all flavors of people with strongly-held beliefs get carried
away and try to force their views on me. Their reason for trying to make
me pay, or hurt me was ambiguous, or amounted to I didn't agree with them.

If someone is going to respond that way it's how they'd respond
regardless of a religious belief - it's how they deal with people they
don't understand or can't accept, and they are usually bullies, anyway.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/11/2016 9:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but when one lives according to a moral code, their
righteousness has an extreme flagrant than that of one who doesn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 2:36 AM, Bod wrote:
On 12/05/2016 00:41, Meanie wrote:
On 5/11/2016 6:38 PM, Muggles wrote:

That is an admonition to believers to realize that if/when they judge
other people that they should know that they will be judged in the same
way. IOW's, make sure you aren't guilty of the same issue you're being
critical of other people for doing. The religious leaders of the day
would come down hard on the people they were spiritually responsible to
lead, yet, they were not only guilty of the very things they went after
other people for doing, but they were guilty of much worse things.

Religion = hypocrisy

Indeed, I'm being accused of hate etc, yet the only nastiness is coming
from the the Bible bashers. Funny that.

A perfect example from those peaceful lover souls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 11:10 AM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

A good majority of people live by some moral code, so I try to not
attribute their attitudes to any particular belief system when they
behave self-righteously. Often times we all revert back to our base

Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/12/2016 08:44 AM, Mayayana wrote:
A theist believes there is a god or gods, whatever
that means. An atheist believes there is no god or
gods.

That second thing is wrong. At atheist DOES NOT have a belief in a god
or gods. SOME may have a belief that there is no god or gods, but that
is not the definition of atheist.

BTW, "religion" does not really have anything to do with a god or gods.
It's a way to keep people together. The word is often misused.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 12:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

A good majority of people live by some moral code, so I try to not
attribute their attitudes to any particular belief system when they
behave self-righteously. Often times we all revert back to our base

Most good Atheists live by the "do unto others" code and not one of a
religious nature. IMO, when/if proven wrong in their belief structure,
they will not revert to a book proclaiming their righteousness with an
adamant stance whereas a religious zealot will.

Religion is the main problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 12:54 PM, notX wrote:
On 05/12/2016 08:44 AM, Mayayana wrote:
A theist believes there is a god or gods, whatever
that means. An atheist believes there is no god or
gods.

That second thing is wrong. At atheist DOES NOT have a belief in a god
or gods. SOME may have a belief that there is no god or gods, but that
is not the definition of atheist.

BTW, "religion" does not really have anything to do with a god or gods.
It's a way to keep people together. The word is often misused.

A way to keep people together based on the belief of a higher power
and/or deity whose precept is base on a moral nature. Though, you're
correct, it is often misused as it's true meaning has no mention of a
belief in a god.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/16 2:04 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/12/2016 12:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

A good majority of people live by some moral code, so I try to not
attribute their attitudes to any particular belief system when they
behave self-righteously. Often times we all revert back to our base

Most good Atheists live by the "do unto others" code and not one of a
religious nature. IMO, when/if proven wrong in their belief structure,
they will not revert to a book proclaiming their righteousness with an
adamant stance whereas a religious zealot will.

Religion is the main problem.

Since when. Heck the courts are filled with aetheists being all
righteous in enforcing their views on people. Also, try to suggest to an
aetheist that their view is every bit as much a leap of faith as any
Christian or Muslim (you can no more prove God doesn't exist than that
He or She does). You'll get every bit as much as spittle as from any
rock ribbed Christian.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 1:04 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/12/2016 12:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

A good majority of people live by some moral code, so I try to not
attribute their attitudes to any particular belief system when they
behave self-righteously. Often times we all revert back to our base

Most good Atheists live by the "do unto others" code and not one of a
religious nature. IMO, when/if proven wrong in their belief structure,
they will not revert to a book proclaiming their righteousness with an
adamant stance

They just revert back to their human nature which requires them to
display any number of responses, such as, rejection or control
techniques, manipulation, any number of logical fallacies, name calling,
their own version of self-righteous indignation, implications that
attack the character of their opponent, or some even go so far as to
threaten violence in some way. Some of those responses are outright
obvious, and others are passive aggressive, but they all point to a
deeply held belief that something they reject is more valid than someone
else who doesn't reject the same ideas. They justify their responses as
simply supporting their particular point of view, and can't see their
behavior is no different from someone who is religious who responds in a
similar way.

Any belief that prompts such responses to the opposition is akin to
behaving religiously. A book have no bearing in the matter.

whereas a religious zealot will.

A zealot is just as likely to be found amongst Atheists as it is they
can be found amongst computer programmers, even. The mindset of a
zealot if just simply they are right and everyone else is wrong, and
they won't hesitate to go on the attack if anyone challenges them.

Religion is the main problem.

Human nature is the main problem, not religion.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt V. Ullman" writes:
On 5/12/16 2:04 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/12/2016 12:49 PM, Muggles wrote:

A good majority of people live by some moral code, so I try to not
attribute their attitudes to any particular belief system when they
behave self-righteously. Often times we all revert back to our base

Most good Atheists live by the "do unto others" code and not one of a
religious nature. IMO, when/if proven wrong in their belief structure,
they will not revert to a book proclaiming their righteousness with an
adamant stance whereas a religious zealot will.

Religion is the main problem.

Since when. Heck the courts are filled with aetheists being all
righteous in enforcing their views on people.

You should be able to cite thousands of court cases, if this
is true. Please, feel free to support your assertion with
the corroborating facts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| That second thing is wrong. At atheist DOES NOT have a belief in a god
| or gods. SOME may have a belief that there is no god or gods, but that
| is not the definition of atheist.

Look it up in the dictionary. a-theist. Agnostic
or non-theist would be someone who doesn't adopt
a belief. Atheists believe no god exists. If you talk
to atheists they'll often wiggle around, saying they're
openminded, if only theists can prove the existence
of their god. But generally atheists are defining that
god as a personal god -- an 80-foot-tall man with a
long beard living in the sky. So what they're really
saying is that they're intelligent and religious people
are idiots. They're oblivious to any more sophisticated
version of religion/spirituality.

| BTW, "religion" does not really have anything to do with a god or gods.
| It's a way to keep people together. The word is often misused.

It can be all sorts of things. There is no god
in Buddhism, but that's considered a religion.
The Scientologists could be considered to have
a religion. The Mormons are arguably the first
New Age cult, but now present as an established
religion.
A way to keep people together would be debt,
clubs, tribes, sexual attraction, common interests,
etc. The dictionary, and most people, would
define a religion as some kind of guiding system
of morals and social rules, with a spiritual
orientation, that may or may not involve gods
or deities. Again, look it up in the dictionary.

In the US most people would define religion as
belief in the Christian god, and atheism as denial
of the Christian god. But that's why I touched on
that issue in my posts. Religion is different things
to different people. Spirituality is different things
to different people. How does the Christianity of
Thomas Merton compare to that of Billy Graham?
Probably not much common ground there. So if
someone says they're atheist or religious they really
need to define that *for them*. In my experience,
atheists are scientific materialists who view all
religion/spirituality as being dumb, literal belief in
a cosmic daddy figure. They then pat themselves
on the back for believing in science, which they
regard as a rational belief. They're anti-religious
in a very condescending way, but mostly they're
just ignorant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 2:27 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 5/12/16 2:04 PM, Meanie wrote:
[...]

As Scott stated, cite those court cases. In addition, the proof of a
non-existing God is easier than the proof there is one, considering,
there isn't any proof there is one.

The fight of many Atheists is to stop displaying religious symbols
(mainly within government facilities) and the word of God from their
view. Otherwise, they don't give a **** what anyone else does as long as
it doesn't impede on their lives. IMO, I don't give a **** if religious
symbols are everywhere, just don't force it on me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/12/2016 2:35 PM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

Good points, but religion enhances that righteousness and makes one
become adamant because even when proving a Christian wrong, they fail to
see it. Many other can eventually realize facts and proof which provides
a second thought....and that can go for some Christians as well. I don't
speak for ALL persons of either category. There are alwasy exceptions to
every rule......except death.