Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas pool heater

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:50:30 PM UTC-5, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:37:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:50:30 PM UTC-5, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???

Checked for actual spark, as opposed to just the message?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/16 9:47 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:37:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:50:30 PM UTC-5, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???

Checked for actual spark, as opposed to just the message?

No, I figured that the click was the spark, although there was only one.
How do that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 1:03:06 PM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 5/9/16 9:47 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 9:37:09 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:50:30 PM UTC-5, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

Gas turned on for the spark to light it???

Checked for actual spark, as opposed to just the message?

No, I figured that the click was the spark, although there was only one.
How do that?

I guess you can follow the wire going to the ignitor, locate the spark
gap and look for a spark. Night time would be best. It's a pool heater,
doesn't get used all the time, likely outside, something getting into
where the spark gap is, rust, insect could do it. I thought most gas
things used hot surfact type ignitors, but you did say there was a
spark message. Either way, finding what's going on with the ignition
would be one place to look.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/10/2016 12:03 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

[snip]

No, I figured that the click was the spark, although there was only one.
How do that?

I used to have a gas furnace with a spark igniter. It would spark every
second for about a minute.

BTW, for some reason the new furnace uses a hot surface igniter instead.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Anyone who opposes methods to control the birth rate, is automatically
voting in favour having the death rate go up." -- Dr. Paul Erlich, on
CBC's Quirks and Quarks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 May 2016 20:50:24 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

The gadget wants some spark. I'd take that as an "error message". Can
you light it with match and was the gas line service opened up for
some reason? When I once replaced a water heater, I had to bleed the
gas line to get air out and get pressure back.

Maybe the gas valve is not detecting a flame so it can't open?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

The gadget wants some spark. I'd take that as an "error message". Can
you light it with match and was the gas line service opened up for
some reason? When I once replaced a water heater, I had to bleed the
gas line to get air out and get pressure back.

Maybe the gas valve is not detecting a flame so it can't open?

And you think if it tries to light, but spark is the problem, that
you'd smell some gas. Any sign of that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Opened the pool today. Turn on the heater, you get the CFH (Call for
Heat) message, a click, the SPK (or spark) message and then nothing.
However the SPK message stays on. No error messages to give guidance.
Any suggestions?

The gadget wants some spark. I'd take that as an "error message". Can
you light it with match and was the gas line service opened up for
some reason? When I once replaced a water heater, I had to bleed the
gas line to get air out and get pressure back.

Maybe the gas valve is not detecting a flame so it can't open?

And you think if it tries to light, but spark is the problem, that
you'd smell some gas. Any sign of that?

No, but it is outside and there was a pretty good wind yesterday. I'll
try again today since it is calm.

Pool heater problem gonjah[_3_] Home Repair 5 January 11th 14 04:14 PM
pool heater lloyd Home Repair 3 July 13th 08 04:37 PM
oil hot water heater--WANT TO CONVERT to pool heater [email protected] Home Repair 0 January 5th 08 12:32 AM
Gas pool heater questions [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 19th 06 12:46 PM
Swimming pool heater nospamgoingjag Home Ownership 5 June 7th 05 12:22 PM