Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tub surround

Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite
heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white
enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a
3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores
look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long
time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking
at?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 May 2016 20:59:18 +0000 (UTC), terry
wrote:

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants.

Build a pony wall for tub support. My corner tub sits in the frame.
Plumbing / electric access is from out side (intentional). Tub frame
face is tiled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2016 4:59 PM, terry wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite
heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white
enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a
3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores
look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long
time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking
at?

Thanks!

I'd consider this
http://www.theswancorp.com/index.php?cat=4&attr=17,76

I used Swanstone sinks and shower pans and they are well made. We opted
for ceramic tile so we did not use the surrounds, but they did look nice
on the displays.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants.

Build a pony wall for tub support. My corner tub sits in the frame.
Plumbing / electric access is from out side (intentional). Tub frame
face is tiled.

No, not always.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2016 4:59 PM, terry wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite
heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white
enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a
3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores
look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long
time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking
at?

Thanks!

I only worked on a tub surround once, and I was helper
for a friend of mine who bought the unit already.

Maybe a plumbing wholesale house might have some thing
better quality?

In my case, the two of us workers had to stand in the
tub to hold up the sides. Just another workaday thing
to be doing. Holding up surround sides while the
construction adhesive dried, or whatever it was we used.
This was about twenty years ago. We joked about "male
bonding" in the bath tub. Our earlier male bonding jobs
included chainsawing and splitting fire wood.

His wife innocently used the terms "male bonding in
the bath tub" at work the next day and got some
really strange looks from the other secretarial
staff.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:45:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 5/3/2016 4:59 PM, terry wrote:
[...]

It's a lot harder to bond with a chainsaw or a wedge than with
construction adhesive.

His wife innocently used the terms "male bonding in
the bath tub" at work the next day and got some
really strange looks from the other secretarial
staff.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2016 10:59 PM, Micky wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2016 21:45:01 -0400, Stormin Mormon
In my case, the two of us workers had to stand in the
tub to hold up the sides. Just another workaday thing
to be doing. Holding up surround sides while the
construction adhesive dried, or whatever it was we used.
This was about twenty years ago. We joked about "male
bonding" in the bath tub. Our earlier male bonding jobs
included chainsawing and splitting fire wood.

It's a lot harder to bond with a chainsaw or a wedge than with
construction adhesive.

On the odd chance you are serious, male bonding
refers to activities men do to promote togetherness.
Examples include sports, hunting, and home repair.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2016 09:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On the odd chance you are serious, male bonding
refers to activities men do to promote togetherness.
Examples include sports, hunting, and home repair.

Sports and hunting are what you do to get away from the old lady's home repair/honey-do list.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 May 2016 02:59:32 -0600, "Rev W. W. Dubya"
wrote:

It's a lot harder to bond with a chainsaw or a wedge than with
construction adhesive.

On 05/03/2016 09:24 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On the odd chance you are serious, male bonding

I was serious, construction adhesive is very good for bonding, but the
others are for splitting. However I also know the other meaning for
male bonding.

refers to activities men do to promote togetherness.
Examples include sports, hunting, and home repair.

Sports and hunting are what you do to get away from the old lady's home repair/honey-do list.

The crossword puzzle a couple days ago spelled it honey-dew but it
jokes around sometimes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Ed Pawlowski typed:
On 5/3/2016 4:59 PM, terry wrote:
[...]

Interesting. When I saw the description, I think it said that the material
that they use is a full-thickness composite material -- possibly like VCT
(Vinyl Composition Tile) -- which means the color and pattern goes all the
eay through and is not just a surface layer of color. I liked that idea.
And, since I never saw this product before, I will keep an eye out for it.
Looks like they have it at plumbing supply places, but I don't know about at
the big box places like Lowes and Home Depot..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/2016 2:13 PM, TomR wrote:

I'd consider this
http://www.theswancorp.com/index.php?cat=4&attr=17,76
I used Swanstone sinks and shower pans and they are well made. We
opted for ceramic tile so we did not use the surrounds, but they did
look nice on the displays.

Interesting. When I saw the description, I think it said that the material
that they use is a full-thickness composite material -- possibly like VCT
(Vinyl Composition Tile) -- which means the color and pattern goes all the
eay through and is not just a surface layer of color. I liked that idea.
And, since I never saw this product before, I will keep an eye out for it.
Looks like they have it at plumbing supply places, but I don't know about at
the big box places like Lowes and Home Depot..

I saw it at the local plumbing supply showroom. It is a much better
product than anything at the big box stores.

When we did the bathrooms we spent about $27,000 for both and the only
thing that came from Lowes was the grout.. Plumbing supply had better
qualityh and competitive prices. Delivered too!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 2:13:40 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
In ,
Ed Pawlowski typed:
On 5/3/2016 4:59 PM, terry wrote:
[...]

There are plumbing supply houses and there are "kitchen and bath design centers".
Sometimes the 2 can be connected and/or the same company.

I walked in the fancy front doors of a design center to buy my tub and surround and then
walked around back, off of the loading docks, to the plumbing supply counter for
all of the plumbing parts I needed. Discounts can be requested (and given) at both ends
of the store.

(Many fancy lighting stores also have a "contractor friendly" electrical supply counter in
the back.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Get GE 1/4" Lecson you can drill it and it will not crack.

"terry" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

I'm working on an older house with a 60" x 31" tub. The tub is quite
heavy and in great condition -- it might be cast iron. It has a white
enamel finish with no chips or wear showing.

I need to add a tub surround to protect the walls. I was hoping to use a
3 or 5 piece fiberglass unit but the samples at my local big box stores
look pretty poor ..... flimsy. I've learned my "buy cheap" lesson a long
time ago.

The budget for the surround is $500 to $600. It should be able to hold
up to wear and tear from tenants. What brands/models should I be looking
at?

Thanks!

OT What is 2.0 Surround? ---MIKE--- Home Repair 2 April 14th 11 12:23 AM
Tub surround help TomYoung Home Repair 1 August 22nd 08 07:06 PM
Fire surround Rob UK diy 0 February 27th 06 02:41 PM
Car Wax On Tile Tub Surround? BenB. Home Repair 1 April 12th 05 04:09 AM
Tub Surround Sputnik Home Repair 2 August 26th 04 01:37 AM