Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Wringer Washer agitator pops off

Most of you probably wont know the answer to this, with your modern
washers.

Anyhow, I bought an old Maytag Wringer washer to wash greasy rags from
the garage, or wash things like horse blankets.

The funny thing is that I have found I like using it a lot more than my
modern washer. First off, I'm more in control of it, and if I have very
filthy pants, I control how long they wash, and I can easily rinse them
more than once. Secondly, every modern washer I have ever owned seems to
have a habit of 'eating' a piece of clothing every so often. The wringer
machine has never done that.

So, I do almost all laundry in that wringer machine now.

The machine is at last 50 years old and works great, except for one
thing. Every so often, the agitator pops off the shaft while its
washing. I take it off after almost every load of laundry so I can wash
the dirt off the bottom of the machine, and I always put it back on
firmly and even bang it downward with my fist each time. But it still
pops off far too often.

It seems to me that I once heard there is supposed to be a rubber O-ring
inside the bottom of the agitator hole, where it goes on the shaft, and
there is a groove in there which could accomodate such a ring. But
getting parts is near impossible anymore. I've called several appliance
stores that advertise "Maytag" and they just tell me that they no longer
have parts, or one of them told me that no one uses wringer washers
anymore.

My point in posting this is because maybe someone of you still has one
of these machines. If you do, could you look and see if there is a
O-ring and maybe post a photo of it on some "post your photos" website.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much at the mercy of buying a complete assortment
of O-rings and just trying to find one that works.....

The only other thing I can think of, would be to put a few wraps of
electrical tape around the splined shaft, and will probably have to
replace it every few weeks. My other thought was to brush on some rubber
cement, and let it dry before putting the agitator back. But that too
will probably have to be replaced often.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Paintedcow, dave wrote:
hi, yes the agitator shaft has a wide black o ring and when you get ready to
wash, you press the agitator down, till it clicks,than you are ok, always
remove the ag. when done washing, and lay it on its side in the tub, until
next wash, they tend to freeze, rust, on the shaft, and very hard to remove
without destroying the agitator, now for the part, go on ebay, maytag wringer
washers, you will see new parts still available, from phils maytag, in ovid
new york. he is super helpful, and i get my parts from him, as he helps out
the amish, who only use maytag wsringer washer, run by gas, air, battery
power, thanks and good luck, dave

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ff-886062-.htm

What type of oil to use on Old Maytag Wringer Washer [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 17th 20 05:07 AM
Old Wringer Washer - Agitator comes off. [email protected] Home Repair 19 October 2nd 18 04:44 PM
Maytag agitator oil leak roger Home Repair 1 June 30th 07 01:14 AM
Maytag washer agitator noise Martin Kallikak, Jr. Home Repair 1 February 4th 07 02:57 PM
Maytag washer agitator problems? [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 16th 05 02:38 PM