Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine belt

Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think
the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at
least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked
better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came
down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I
had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a
roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without
spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 03:09:26 -0400, Micky
wrote:

Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think
the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at
least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked
better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came
down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I
had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a
roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without
spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?

Could be glazed as you said, or it could be stretched beyond what can
be adjusted, or both. I'd try a new belt. If that does not work,
it may be time for a new machine if this one is over 10 years or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think
the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at
least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked
better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came
down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I
had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a
roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without
spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?

Could be glazed as you said, or it could be stretched beyond what can
be adjusted, or both. I'd try a new belt. If that does not work,
it may be time for a new machine if this one is over 10 years or so.

The alloy pulleys wear also...and then the belt "bottoms" on the hub. A new belt should be flush with the diameter of the pulley. I should be an OEM belt...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2016 3:09 AM, Micky wrote:
Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think
the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at
least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked
better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came
down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I
had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a
roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without
spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?

Sounds like a good place to start.

On my very old Whirlpool machine, I have
to take a pry bar behind the motor, and
then tighten the bolt with a box wrench.

As with the old automotive belts, you may
need to tighten it again after several loads.

Replacing the belt is a PIA, can't remember
why. There is some mechanism that doesn't
want to let the old belt out, or the new
one in. I'd have to go back and look, but it
was a bit of work.

I hope it works out better for you than for
me.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:06:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

On the old wig wag machines the belt is captive but one of the bolts
has a spacer that you take out to remove he belt. You also have to
remove the wires on the wig wag.

This machine is really more like 30+ years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/27/2016 3:09 AM, Micky wrote:
Do I need a new belt?

I've tightened the belt on my old Whirlpool machine twice. I think
the first time I did it wrong and didn't really tighten it, or at
least not much, but the second time I thought I did well and it worked
better.

But the other day, I went upstairs while it finished and when I came
down, the cycle was over and the clothes were wetter than usual. I
had to put it at the spin cycle again and push it off like starting a
roulette wheel, and then it spun fine.

Can I assume that letting it go through the spin cycle without
spinning puts a glaze on the belt and makes it slip even more?

Sounds like a good place to start.

On my very old Whirlpool machine, I have
to take a pry bar behind the motor, and
then tighten the bolt with a box wrench.

I used a 60's GM jack handle for a pry bar.

As with the old automotive belts, you may
need to tighten it again after several loads.

Replacing the belt is a PIA, can't remember
why. There is some mechanism that doesn't
want to let the old belt out, or the new
one in. I'd have to go back and look, but it
was a bit of work.

Right. That's why I was avoiding it. Have to lower something. I
don't remember either.

I hope it works out better for you than for
me.

Me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks.

This machine is really more like 30+ years old.

37. Only problem is the belt is slipping.

The matching dryer, I still have not fixed. Can't fix it from the
front. Have to go behind it and it's stuffed in the corner.

When I pull the washer out to work on it, I'll work on the dryer.