Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet pad removal

On 20 Apr 2016 18:24:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any one have any tips on removing the carpet pad when it is glued down? It
has too many holes in it for a new carpet but it is very difficult to
remove from the floor. Tried a garden hoe and hand scrapers. I don't know
the proper name for these. About 8" long, 6" or so wide. Wide blade
tapering back to narrow handle. Thin steel.

TIA

Its a time consuming job, and there is no shortcut. Use an ice scraper
or get on your knees and use a wide putty knife, or whatever works the
best. You may or may not need to run a power sander over the floor when
most of the pad is removed. Its a lousy job, but not impossible to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 20, 2016 at 2:24:47 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Any one have any tips on removing the carpet pad when it is glued down? It
has too many holes in it for a new carpet but it is very difficult to
remove from the floor. Tried a garden hoe and hand scrapers. I don't know
the proper name for these. About 8" long, 6" or so wide. Wide blade
tapering back to narrow handle. Thin steel.

TIA

It would have taken less keystrokes to type this into a search engine:

carpet pad scraper

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Apr 2016 18:24:41 GMT, KenK wrote:

Any one have any tips on removing the carpet pad when it is glued down? It
has too many holes in it for a new carpet but it is very difficult to
remove from the floor. Tried a garden hoe and hand scrapers. I don't know
the proper name for these. About 8" long, 6" or so wide. Wide blade
tapering back to narrow handle. Thin steel.

TIA

Are you saying the entire floor is covered with glue, for the pad?
That is odd and have not seen it done that way. Ordinarily, liquid
glue is 'zigzaged' in some areas (like squirting ketchup or a mustard
from a plastic container).

Rip the carpet pad out and you may find there is actually very little
glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/20/2016 11:24 AM, KenK wrote:
Any one have any tips on removing the carpet pad when it is glued down? It
has too many holes in it for a new carpet but it is very difficult to
remove from the floor. Tried a garden hoe and hand scrapers. I don't know
the proper name for these. About 8" long, 6" or so wide. Wide blade
tapering back to narrow handle. Thin steel.

Drywall knife? "Ice chopper" (not sure what those are called and its
been decades since I've used or even SEEN one)? A good coal shovel?

You might be able to help things along with selective application of
a solvent (i.e., along the edge of the removal tool) -- but, I'd be
concerned health and fire issues.

You might also just make a best effort and come back to it later with
a floor refinishing tool (sand out/off the remaining crud)

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
Any one have any tips on removing the carpet pad when it is glued down? It
has too many holes in it for a new carpet but it is very difficult to
remove from the floor. Tried a garden hoe and hand scrapers. I don't know
the proper name for these. About 8" long, 6" or so wide. Wide blade
tapering back to narrow handle. Thin steel.

TIA

I removed a type of pad that melted to the floor. I used a hot air gun and
scrapers. I borrowed a good gun that had infinite heat setting.

Greg

Carpet Stain Removal RedOnRed UK diy 5 December 28th 12 05:37 AM
Removal of Carpet Question Tom Home Repair 5 April 26th 07 11:58 PM
Carpet removal / Floor laying Q Iain Shaw UK diy 4 August 15th 05 07:15 PM
Glued Carpet Removal CJ Home Repair 7 October 2nd 04 11:39 PM
Need Carpet Removal Tips barry martin Home Repair 1 June 9th 04 12:44 AM