Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

Default Removal of Carpet Question

Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in
our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so
much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is fairly
clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and a lot of
it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in
our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so
much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is
fairly clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and
a lot of it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is
this normal?

Yes, it's normal. Dirt works it's way through the fibers of the carpet and
then through the canvas (or whatever) backing. That's why it's such fine
grit. The bigger pieces of dirt stay trapped in the carpet. That's been
under 100% of the carpets I've removed, and it's a huge argument for not
having carpet if you have allergies or breathing issues. Hardwood floors
are so much easier to clean.

HTH,

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in
our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so
much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is
fairly clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and
a lot of it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is
this normal? Thanks.

Tom

Normal and scary, isn't it? All carpet is is a fine sieve. Just the fine
stuff gets through. It makes you want to pull up all your carpet and vacuum
under there, doesn't it?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Tom is offline

Thanks for some very helpful replies. My wife does have breathing issues
but most of all she has allergies and I thought when I pulled up the carpet
(i had not pulled the pad yet) it would get better but they got worse. Now
I see why. I will be pulling all the carpet out! Thanks again.

Tom
"Tom" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in
our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so
much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is
fairly clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and
a lot of it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is
this normal? Thanks.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If this is the original carpet the builder may not have swept the floor
before putting down the carpet.

"Tom" wrote in message
. net...
Hello. Im the same guy in a post above where I am putting a wood floor in
our bedroom, I am removing the carpet to do so. Im just curious as how so
much dirt worked itself under the pad? In some areas the concrete is
fairly clean but in others there is the finest dirt you have ever seen and
a lot of it. Kind of scaring for anyone with a breathing problem. Is
this normal? Thanks.

Tom

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom" wrote in message
t...
Thanks for some very helpful replies. My wife does have breathing issues
but most of all she has allergies and I thought when I pulled up the
carpet (i had not pulled the pad yet) it would get better but they got
worse. Now I see why. I will be pulling all the carpet out! Thanks
again.

You have my honest sypathies, since I also am an allergy sufferer. A big
selling point for me on this house was that they had uncovered the hardwood
in the bedrooms, even though the DIY refinish they did was half-ass at best.
Unfortunately, the hall and living room had new carpet, so I couldn't
justify ripping it up to get a pro refinish on everything before I moved in.
And the family room addition is cheap berber over OSB, so I'd have to add
floor there.

If I ever hit the lotto and build my dream/retirement house, it'll be
hardwood or tile throughout, with no carpets too big to throw in a
commercial washing machine.

aem sends....

Carpet Stain Removal RedOnRed UK diy 5 December 28th 12 05:37 AM
wall to wall carpet removal rosebud Home Repair 2 August 30th 06 12:16 PM
Carpet removal / Floor laying Q Iain Shaw UK diy 4 August 15th 05 07:15 PM
Glued Carpet Removal CJ Home Repair 7 October 2nd 04 11:39 PM
Need Carpet Removal Tips barry martin Home Repair 1 June 9th 04 12:44 AM