Posted to alt.home.repair

Default remote controlled timer

Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just
want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a shower.
Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage
each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled remotely
via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in the
bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 04:30:59 -0700, "taxed and spent"
wrote:

Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just
want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a shower.
Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage
each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled remotely
via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in the
bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

Belkin makes a timer called a WeMo Switch. It is a plug in timer which
can be controlled remotely by a smart phone and can be used as a count
down timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 06:30:59 -0500, taxed and spent
wrote:

Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just
want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a
shower.
Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage
each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled
remotely
via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in
the
bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

Allied Electronics has all sorts of timers.
http://www.alliedelec.com/ It sounds like you want
a time delay off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 7:31:02 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just
want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a shower.
Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage
each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled remotely
via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in the
bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

I have no idea if these work or how much they cost, but they look pretty
cool (no pun intended)

Per the website:

"Turning on any hot water faucet for 1 second, then off will start the
system. In 30 to 45 seconds hot water will be waiting for you when
you turn the faucet back on."

http://www.fasterho****er.com/WaterQuick%20Pro.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 7:31:02 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I just
want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I take a shower.
Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the garage
each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled remotely
via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could be mounted in the
bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

What about using a inexpensive thermostat to control a relay to apply power
to the pump? You wouldn't even need the timer.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell...Fc5Zhgod2DsC7A

Set the temp point so low that the thermostat will always call for heat.
Once you know how long it takes to get hot water to the shower, you would
simply slide the control to "Heat" to start the pump, wait the required
time and then turn it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 9:17:43 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I was thinking along those lines too, ie there are pumps made for
this purpose, ones that go under the sink where you want the hot
water, so they can have an activation button right there. Some
work on timers together with a thermostat, so it keeps hot water
at the faucet during periods when you're likely to want it.

If he's got this installed already, I would think an RF controlled
power controlled widget would allow it to be turned on and off
without going into the garage. There is X10 type
stuff. As you and I know, it's not the most reliable, but for this
kind of thing, it might be adequate. If not, I'm sure there are
other, better quality solutions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-TM751-Wi...-/400299909792

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-KR19A-Ke...UAAOSwP~tW5ib-

For what he's doing, it's not using X10. The transceiver has one
outlet on it and he can just plug the pump into it. That would give
him the ability to control it remotely, but not the automatic timed
off action that he wants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This looks interesting. thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

interesting, and I will keep it in mind. Too expensive for my needs though,
and this would turn on the pump when it is not needed, like when filling the
washing machine which is close to the water heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

I don't want a time of day timer, as only the shower is far from the water
heater and my schedule is erratic.

If he's got this installed already, I would think an RF controlled
power controlled widget would allow it to be turned on and off
without going into the garage. There is X10 type
stuff. As you and I know, it's not the most reliable, but for this
kind of thing, it might be adequate. If not, I'm sure there are
other, better quality solutions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-TM751-Wi...-/400299909792

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-KR19A-Ke...UAAOSwP~tW5ib-

For what he's doing, it's not using X10. The transceiver has one
outlet on it and he can just plug the pump into it. That would give
him the ability to control it remotely, but not the automatic timed
off action that he wants.

yep, auto timed off is key.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

manually turn it off? That is missing the whole point.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 10:13:06 AM UTC-4, taxed and spent wrote:
"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

I take it running 120V between the bathroom and the garage is a problem?
If so, you can use a relay in a box type product at the water heater,
then run 24V wiring to that mechanical timer you showed.

http://www.functionaldevices.com/bui...tion/pilot.php

You can wire the relay directly to the pump, or if it has a plug,
wire the relay to a receptacle that it will control and then plug
in the pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, but how hard is that? It was just a suggestion.

I looked at this way: You are in the bathroom. You slide the switch to
on, you get undressed, put your shower cap on, grab your rubber ducky and
back scrubber and then slide the switch off.

Again, it was just a suggestion. Feel free to pass on it.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/3c63183d6a...ber-c30x1c.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Just installed recirulating pump for the hot water. Living alone, I
just want to run it a few minutes (determining that now) before I
take a shower. Kitchen sink is very close to water heater, so no
concern there.

I am thinking of using something like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-1...9825/204209977

Living alone, that is no problem, but I would have to go into the
garage each time.

Anyone know of a count down timer, 110 volt, that can be controlled
remotely via a, hopefully, low voltage switch? Such a switch could
be mounted in the bathroom, leaving the timer in the garage.

Belkin makes a timer called a WeMo Switch. It is a plug in timer which
can be controlled remotely by a smart phone and can be used as a count
down timer.

My system uses a simple time delay relay to run the pump for the 20 seconds it
needs to get hot water to the upstairs bathroom. It is actuated by pushing a
momentary contact push button in the bathroom, with low voltage wiring to the
time delay ralay in the basement near the pump.
..