Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hummingbird Feeders

Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these hummingbirds. ^_^

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 23:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these hummingbirds. ^_^

I have one that visits my garage. The emergency red release rope as
the bell cup pull knob It looks like a flower.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

PBS has a great story of hummingbirds in Cuba. In my area they migrate
into Nevada with many colors. Have favorite flowers for them about to
bloom.

Couple few years ago, there was real, impressive photography and video
of their tongue in action. With a tongue like that, who needs to
work....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these hummingbirds. ^_^

I have one that visits my garage. The emergency red release rope as
the bell cup pull knob It looks like a flower.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

PBS has a great story of hummingbirds in Cuba. In my area they migrate
into Nevada with many colors. Have favorite flowers for them about to
bloom.

Couple few years ago, there was real, impressive photography and video
of their tongue in action. With a tongue like that, who needs to
work....

So you think those tiny birds have a long tongue? Now here's a tongue! ^_^

http://i.imgur.com/YtjtG3T.gifv

[8~{} Uncle Licker Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:
Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these
hummingbirds. ^_^

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

We have 2 feeders for the hummers , a seed feeder and a suet block feeder
for others . On a normal day we'll see White Throated Sparrows , Red Belly
Woodpeckers , Downy Woodpeckers , Cardinals , Chickadees , Tufted Titmice ,
House Wrens , Nuthatches , Bluejays , Crows , Vultures (cruising overhead) ,
an occasional Indigo Bunting , almost-daily Pileated Woodpeckers , and Red
Legged Hawks overhead fairly often . At night the Chuck Wills Widows
(similar to a whippoorwill) serenade us to sleep .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 8:06:28 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these
hummingbirds. ^_^

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

We have 2 feeders for the hummers , a seed feeder and a suet block feeder
for others . On a normal day we'll see White Throated Sparrows , Red Belly
Woodpeckers , Downy Woodpeckers , Cardinals , Chickadees , Tufted Titmice ,
House Wrens , Nuthatches , Bluejays , Crows , Vultures (cruising overhead) ,
an occasional Indigo Bunting , almost-daily Pileated Woodpeckers , and Red
Legged Hawks overhead fairly often . At night the Chuck Wills Widows
(similar to a whippoorwill) serenade us to sleep .
--
Snag

What amazes me about hummingbirds is their ability to hover in one spot and not move around. Drone designers are jealous of the tiny birds. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Drone Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

We have 2 feeders for the hummers , a seed feeder and a suet block feeder
for others . On a normal day we'll see White Throated Sparrows , Red Belly
Woodpeckers , Downy Woodpeckers , Cardinals , Chickadees , Tufted Titmice ,
House Wrens , Nuthatches , Bluejays , Crows , Vultures (cruising overhead) ,
an occasional Indigo Bunting , almost-daily Pileated Woodpeckers , and Red
Legged Hawks overhead fairly often . At night the Chuck Wills Widows
(similar to a whippoorwill) serenade us to sleep .

How do you handle the squirrels????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Does the hummingbird feeder nectar have vitamins,
essential minerals and protein in it?
If the hummingbirds keep drinking this
and don't get their proper nutrition
will they not suffer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/18/2016 10:18 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Does the hummingbird feeder nectar have vitamins,
essential minerals and protein in it?
If the hummingbirds keep drinking this
and don't get their proper nutrition
will they not suffer?

They seem to thrive. I just use a 4:1 mixture of water and sugar. They
also eat a variety of insects for protein. I think the sugar is just to
keep their wings going.

Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 04/18/2016 10:18 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Does the hummingbird feeder nectar have vitamins,
essential minerals and protein in it?
If the hummingbirds keep drinking this
and don't get their proper nutrition
will they not suffer?

They seem to thrive. I just use a 4:1 mixture of water and sugar. They
also eat a variety of insects for protein. I think the sugar is just to
keep their wings going.

They obviously need the extra fluid.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Uncle Monster wrote:
Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these
hummingbirds. ^_^

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

We have 2 feeders for the hummers , a seed feeder and a suet block
feeder for others . On a normal day we'll see White Throated Sparrows
, Red Belly Woodpeckers , Downy Woodpeckers , Cardinals , Chickadees
, Tufted Titmice , House Wrens , Nuthatches , Bluejays , Crows ,
Vultures (cruising overhead) , an occasional Indigo Bunting ,
almost-daily Pileated Woodpeckers , and Red Legged Hawks overhead
fairly often . At night the Chuck Wills Widows (similar to a
whippoorwill) serenade us to sleep .

I've held my finger over the feeder perch, and they land on my finger to feed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:06:25 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

We have 2 feeders for the hummers , a seed feeder and a suet block feeder
for others . On a normal day we'll see White Throated Sparrows , Red Belly
Woodpeckers , Downy Woodpeckers , Cardinals , Chickadees , Tufted Titmice ,
House Wrens , Nuthatches , Bluejays , Crows , Vultures (cruising overhead) ,
an occasional Indigo Bunting , almost-daily Pileated Woodpeckers , and Red
Legged Hawks overhead fairly often . At night the Chuck Wills Widows
(similar to a whippoorwill) serenade us to sleep .

Got any Owls? Here in the desert we have ground owls. They live in
holes, not trees. And tree rats live in trees :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 22:38:38 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 04/18/2016 10:18 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Does the hummingbird feeder nectar have vitamins,
essential minerals and protein in it?
If the hummingbirds keep drinking this
and don't get their proper nutrition
will they not suffer?

They seem to thrive. I just use a 4:1 mixture of water and sugar. They
also eat a variety of insects for protein. I think the sugar is just to
keep their wings going.

There are some videos I watched of them catching insects in mid-air,
slow speed. Remarkable.

They collect items to build a nest. Busy birds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 07:29:03 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

They seem to thrive. I just use a 4:1 mixture of water and sugar. They
also eat a variety of insects for protein. I think the sugar is just to
keep their wings going.

They obviously need the extra fluid.

They expend a lot of energy getting through the day. Flower to flower
"pick me up" burst of energy from the nectar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 12:56:04 -0700, Oren wrote:

Got any Owls? Here in the desert we have ground owls. They live in
holes, not trees. And tree rats live in trees :-)

Are you talking about the little burrowing owl? We have them here too
but they are threatened/endangered.
Cats are the biggest problem but that is a problem with a lot of birds
and small animals. I see cats as invasive exotics and have no problem
making them disappear.
There is a "cat farm" I take them to where they can play with balls of
yarn and drink cream out of a silver bowl all day.
That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 20:41:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

How do you handle the squirrels????

Cast iron frying pan, gravy and biscuits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Anyone have hummingbirds in their backyard. Check out these hummingbirds. ^_^

I have one that visits my garage. The emergency red release rope as
the bell cup pull knob It looks like a flower.

http://imgur.com/gallery/NieTc

[8~{} Uncle Humming Monster

PBS has a great story of hummingbirds in Cuba. In my area they migrate
into Nevada with many colors. Have favorite flowers for them about to
bloom.

Couple few years ago, there was real, impressive photography and video
of their tongue in action. With a tongue like that, who needs to
work....

That's how I used to attract wimmin in bars. I's sit there and lick my
eyebrows.

--
Tekkie