Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside Roll-Up Garden Hoses ?

Hi,

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

There seem to be a multitude op brands available.

Several at HD, different ones pedaled on TV, etc. etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if they all come out of the same factory in China.

Anyway, I guess the first question should be: are these a worthwhile and
"good" product ? Do they work ? Last ?

Limitations, caveats, etc. ? What to look for ?

Any have a reputation as being the "best" ? Which ?

Any to stay away from ?

Which one, if any, should I purchase ?
Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 10:03 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

There seem to be a multitude op brands available.

Several at HD, different ones pedaled on TV, etc. etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if they all come out of the same factory in China.

Thanks,
Bob

Once in a while, I get on a job site where
I need a garden hose, to rinse dust out of
a HVAC unit. Ideally, a flat hose to take up
less space. Ace Hardware had a crank reel
and 50 foot hose for about $35. I was a bit
out of my mind, I could have gotten a Walmart
hose for under ten bucks. I did buy the hose.
It does store compactly. The hose sat in my
van about two years before its first use. See?
I was out of my mind. However, it worked well
(aside from kinking shut and had to go smooth
out the hose before I got much water flow).

If you get the stretchy expanding hose, please
be sure to get a pressure regulator from the
RV section at Walmart (or other store). The
expanding hoses tend to rupture.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:03:13 -0400, Bob wrote:

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

What do you mean roll-up? They all roll up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:41:41 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:03:13 -0400, Bob wrote:

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

What do you mean roll-up? They all roll up.

They don't all roll up by themselves like these, although technically
these don't "roll up". They coil up or shrink up.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...da6091c.v1.jpg

http://img.pipesfree.com/upload/prod...act_garden.jpg

Yes, it would be good to know exactly what the OP is asking about. Maybe
these images will prompt an explanation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 1:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
They don't all roll up by themselves like these, although technically
these don't "roll up". They coil up or shrink up.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...da6091c.v1.jpg

http://img.pipesfree.com/upload/prod...act_garden.jpg

Yes, it would be good to know exactly what the OP is asking about. Maybe
these images will prompt an explanation.

The Wal one looks a lot like an air hose
that HF sells. Looks like small diameter
hose, might not be much water flow.

The pipes one is similar to the ones
that tends to rupture. Benefits from a
pressure reducer before the hose.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2016 09:17 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

If you get the stretchy expanding hose, please
be sure to get a pressure regulator from the
RV section at Walmart (or other store). The
expanding hoses tend to rupture.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

I find the expanding hose useful in the late summer when I have a fungus
problem in the yard (to spray fungicide), and need a lightweight hose
(the best hose I have is a rubber one from Sears, but its very heavy).

As to a pressure regulator, I use one I got with a drip-watering kit
(tiny sprinklers, and low flow rate).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/13/2016 12:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Benefits from a
pressure reducer before the hose.

My first expanding hose started leaking after just 3-4 uses. The second
one lasted several years (the pressure reducer does help a lot).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 1:58 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/13/2016 12:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Benefits from a
pressure reducer before the hose.

My first expanding hose started leaking after just 3-4 uses. The second
one lasted several years (the pressure reducer does help a lot).

Thanks for the field report. I bought one
expanding hose. Same thing, ruptured after
a couple uses. I've not tried one on a
regulated low pressure line. Might do
better than full flow. Thank you.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default From OP: Outside Roll-Up Garden Hoses ?

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

I was referring to those "self coiling" hoses.
They are always advertising them on TV.

Bob
On 4/13/2016 10:03 AM, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

There seem to be a multitude op brands available.

Several at HD, different ones pedaled on TV, etc. etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if they all come out of the same factory in China.

Anyway, I guess the first question should be: are these a worthwhile and
"good" product ? Do they work ? Last ?

Limitations, caveats, etc. ? What to look for ?

Any have a reputation as being the "best" ? Which ?

Any to stay away from ?

Which one, if any, should I purchase ?
Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:16:07 -0400, Bob wrote:

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

I was referring to those "self coiling" hoses.
They are always advertising them on TV.

Bob

See:

http://www.amazon.com/Expandable-Hose-Expanding-strongest-Compatible/dp/B01A4JQT8I/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1460579407&sr=8-16&keywords=hose+as+seen+on+tv

Short -- https://tinyurl.com/hlz2wmd

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 4:37:30 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:16:07 -0400, Bob wrote:

Sorry I wasn't too clear.

I was referring to those "self coiling" hoses.
They are always advertising them on TV.

Bob

See:

http://www.amazon.com/Expandable-Hose-Expanding-strongest-Compatible/dp/B01A4JQT8I/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1460579407&sr=8-16&keywords=hose+as+seen+on+tv

Short -- https://tinyurl.com/hlz2wmd

Are you sure? This seems more "self coiling":

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...da6091c.v1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:03:13 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

There seem to be a multitude op brands available.

Several at HD, different ones pedaled on TV, etc. etc.
Wouldn't surprise me if they all come out of the same factory in China.

Anyway, I guess the first question should be: are these a worthwhile and
"good" product ? Do they work ? Last ?

Limitations, caveats, etc. ? What to look for ?

Any have a reputation as being the "best" ? Which ?

Any to stay away from ?

Which one, if any, should I purchase ?
Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

I have one that someone gave me. It's the first one that was advertised
on TV. I think it's called the Pocket Hose.

I wont use it for farm use. Having large animals stepping on them, mud,
manure, and that sort of thing requires a heavy duty rubber hose.

I have not yet used it for general yard work, but I did try it and I
thought it was handy, and it did expand like it said. It was easy to
drain the water afterwards. But thats about all I can tell you. I dont
know how well it holds up. I have a well, so my water pressure is not
nearly as high as in the cities. I hope it lasts awhile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:09:06 -0400, Micky
wrote:

My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

No such thing came with my hose, but my well pressure is max 50lbs. If
the hose cant handle that, it's worthless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:33:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/13/2016 1:58 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/13/2016 12:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Benefits from a
pressure reducer before the hose.

My first expanding hose started leaking after just 3-4 uses. The second
one lasted several years (the pressure reducer does help a lot).

Thanks for the field report. I bought one
expanding hose. Same thing, ruptured after
a couple uses. I've not tried one on a
regulated low pressure line. Might do
better than full flow. Thank you.

My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

-
.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:06:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 11:41:41 AM UTC-4, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 10:03:13 -0400, Bob wrote:

Was thinking of one of those roll-up outdoor hoses for a gift.

What do you mean roll-up? They all roll up.

They don't all roll up by themselves like these, although technically
these don't "roll up". They coil up or shrink up.

If he'd said shrink I would have known what he is talking about.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce0...da6091c.v1.jpg

That one is coiled all the time. It doesn't coil more, it just pulls
back.
http://img.pipesfree.com/upload/prod...act_garden.jpg

Yeah that's a shrinker. If he'd said that, I'd have told him that in
a previous thread someone said they started to leak moderately soon. I
have non-shrinking hoses that are in good condition after 20 years.
Even leaving them in the sun for weeks at a time (moving them every
few days to they don't leave a line in the grass). So someone might
think that a hose that doesn't leak for 2 or 3 years (if that's what
the prior person said about it) is enough. But I view hoses as a
long-term expense, with a life of at least 15 years, not as a
disposeable commodity.

(I got two or three hoses included with the house when I bought it 33
years ago, and I've found 2 or 3 in the trash since then. The ones in
the trash, along the curb with the trash, were perfectly good. One
of the total of 4 to 6 hoses sprang several leaks after many years,
and one had the outer covering split in several places but I don't
think that caused leaks. It's hard to remember. I roll the wheel
around about 50 times just before every winter until water stops
coming out, and I have two hoses installed all year, plus another one
or two in the basement for when one of these fail. )

Still, a shinking hose miight be worthwhile if one uses the hose
often, once or twice a day, every 2 or 3 days, and has gotten tired
of rolling up a regular hose. Just don't complain that your
standard of living is not increasing.

Yes, it would be good to know exactly what the OP is asking about. Maybe
these images will prompt an explanation.

Maybe. They certainly prompted a reply from me!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 4/13/2016 1:58 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/13/2016 12:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

[snip]

Benefits from a
pressure reducer before the hose.

My first expanding hose started leaking after just 3-4 uses. The second
one lasted several years (the pressure reducer does help a lot).

Thanks for the field report. I bought one
expanding hose. Same thing, ruptured after
a couple uses. I've not tried one on a
regulated low pressure line. Might do
better than full flow. Thank you.

My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

See: _hose bibb vacuum breaker_

https://tinyurl.com/z5uzdub

https://tinyurl.com/z8rnz2t

They are Code in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2016 2:09 PM, Micky wrote:
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:33:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon
Thanks for the field report. I bought one
expanding hose. Same thing, ruptured after
a couple uses. I've not tried one on a
regulated low pressure line. Might do
better than full flow. Thank you.

My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

Yes. About ten bucks at Walmart, in
the camping / RV section.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2016 2:18 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:09:06 -0400, Micky
My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

See: _hose bibb vacuum breaker_

https://tinyurl.com/z5uzdub

https://tinyurl.com/z8rnz2t

They are Code in my area.

See: _RV water pressure regulator_
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

They are often used in my area.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:49:58 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 4/14/2016 2:18 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:09:06 -0400, Micky
My house has a pressure regulator, installed when the house was built,
but am I to understand that there are additional ones that, what,
screw on to the garden faucet? Are they expensive?

See: _hose bibb vacuum breaker_

https://tinyurl.com/z5uzdub

https://tinyurl.com/z8rnz2t

They are Code in my area.

See: _RV water pressure regulator_
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

They are often used in my area.

Well, they're certainly small and cheap enough. I imagined something
more complicated, but I guess it's just an adjustable size opening. I
supppose if the area of the opening is 1/2 the x-section of the supply
pipe, the pressure is decreased about 50%.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:14:38 -0400, Micky
wrote:

See: _RV water pressure regulator_
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

They are often used in my area.

Well, they're certainly small and cheap enough. I imagined something
more complicated, but I guess it's just an adjustable size opening. I
supppose if the area of the opening is 1/2 the x-section of the supply
pipe, the pressure is decreased about 50%.

Yea, but if you put a nozzle on the end of the hose and turn it to OFF,
the pressure in the hose will go to full pressure anyhow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2016 8:14 PM, Micky wrote:
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 16:49:58 -0400, Stormin Mormon

See: _RV water pressure regulator_
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

They are often used in my area.

Well, they're certainly small and cheap enough. I imagined something
more complicated, but I guess it's just an adjustable size opening. I
supppose if the area of the opening is 1/2 the x-section of the supply
pipe, the pressure is decreased about 50%.

I've no clue how they work. But, I'm told
they do. some day, I'll buy one for my
expanding garden hose. If I can ever FIND
what I did with the expanding hose.

Many times, like 300 foot run of hose to
clean a roof top unit (RTU) I'm better off
without a regulator, I need the pressure.

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 20:49:23 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

....the girls must've been embarrassed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

See: _RV water pressure regulator_
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bras...lator/14504323

They are often used in my area.

Well, they're certainly small and cheap enough. I imagined something
more complicated, but I guess it's just an adjustable size opening. I
supppose if the area of the opening is 1/2 the x-section of the supply
pipe, the pressure is decreased about 50%.

Yea, but if you put a nozzle on the end of the hose and turn it to OFF,
the pressure in the hose will go to full pressure anyhow.

Good point. So it doesn't protect hoses unless your careful to
turn the water off at the spigot, not at the nozzle (at lest most of
the time??) . It's meant to lower the pressure coming out of the
nozzle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/14/2016 8:49 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Many times, like 300 foot run of hose to
clean a roof top unit (RTU) I'm better off
without a regulator, I need the pressure.

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

Hey, I'll start a swinging contest. I've used
used 310 feet of garden hose. Who's used more?

Mine also elevated about twenty feet, to the
roof top. I got my garden hose up higher than
your garden hose, nyah nyah!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

...the girls must've been embarrassed.

Actually, they were yelling for more.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

...the girls must've been embarrassed.

I've been known to play with a nozzle.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 15:46:18 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Did one, once. I had 310 feet of hose,
including the short piece I had. Used
every foot of that, and wished for more.

...the girls must've been embarrassed.

I've been known to play with a nozzle.

I won't ask you to elaborate, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/15/2016 2:22 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

My pressure reducer said it produces 40-50 PSI, so maybe you don't need one.

Municipal water sources target 80 psi for delivery.

Unfortunately, most munis forget that, over time (appliances tend to
be rated for 80 psi). E.g., our water supply is above 110psi so
we have a PRV on the domestic water (as well as the irrigation water).

[And an expansion tank colocated with the water heater -- something
that seems to be missing in many homes!]

tool for joining garden hoses Frank Thompson[_2_] Home Repair 6 July 28th 13 01:11 PM
Garden hoses Rocco Home Repair 19 March 25th 11 02:59 PM
Rubber Vs Plastic/Vinyl Garden Hoses ? Bob[_44_] Home Repair 12 August 18th 10 06:23 PM
Lead in Garden Hoses DJH Home Repair 11 June 20th 08 04:48 AM
lawn/garden hoses SeaKan Home Repair 7 April 8th 06 05:00 AM