Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing rust stain from fake wood

Thought I'd share this. I went ot a garage sale and there was a small
cabinet made from particle board with fake woodgrain. It was solid and
in good shape, but there was a rust stain across the whole top. The
woman said she had a metal pan on there with a potted plant. She was
getting ready to close and told me if I wanted the cabinet, to just take
it.

I've been looking for soemthing to store DVDs so I took it. I tried
several cleaners to remove the rust, None worked. Then I thought about
that toilet cleaner "The Works", which is some sort of acid, and it
always removed rust from my toilet. I put a little drop of it on one
part of the rust, and that rust came right off, and did not damage the
finish. So I just soaked a paper towel with it, and set that towel
across the whole rust stain, waited 10 minutes, and it took the rust
right off.

I washed it several times with dish soap to remove all traces of the
acid, and it looks good as new.

One word of caution. I wiped that towel across it and got some of that
on my fingers. That stuff really burns on the skin. A little soap and
water stopped the burning though, but if I ever do that again, I'll wear
rubber gloves.

Tub Rust Like Stain John Home Repair 5 November 21st 07 01:33 PM
Removing Fake Wood Strip Floor Greg Esres Home Repair 4 March 11th 07 12:30 AM
Ebonizing Rust Stain Tom Storey Woodturning 2 August 30th 06 09:13 PM
Removing Wood Stain From A Chair ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 February 5th 06 03:51 AM
Removing wood stain ? Tenex UK diy 4 September 16th 03 11:56 AM