Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do Tankless / On demand water heaters heat so fast?

How do Tankless / On demand water heaters heat so fast?

I have never understood how they can heat enough water instantly to wash
my hands, much less heat enough water to fill a bathtub instantly.

If I put a pan of water on my gas stove and turn the flame to high, it
takes quite a few minutes to bring that pot of water to a boil. (And
that's just one gallon or water or less)

If I turn on the power to a standard 4500W 240V 30 gal. electric water
heater filled with cold water, it takes a good hour or more to heat that
water to 120deg or so.

A 30 gal gas water heater, heats faster than electric but it still takes
at least a half hour if the water is cold to begin.

I have an electric element called a "bucket heater". It uses 1500W at
120V. It's made to heat a 5 gallon bucket of water, in a barn or where
there is no hot water at the tap. That thing takes over an hour to heat
5 gallons of water to around 100 deg.

With that said, I cant understand how a "tankless" water heater can
possibly heat enough water INSTANTLY to fill a bathtub, or even a half
gallon to wash my hands. Whether they run on gas or electric, how can
they surpass the speed of heating water above any of the methods I
mentioned above? (And do this continually)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 4:52:57 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

It's called either a BFB or BFHE.

The last B is for burner, the HE is for heating element, you figure out
the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Apr 2016 03:52:45 -0400, wrote:

[...]

The actual amount of water heated in GPM is relatively small and they
use a buttload of power. (at least 5 times what your tank heater
uses). My brother in law wanted tankless and he ended up with 3
heaters, propane powered, One for the kitchen and one for each
bathroom. You can take a shower but the flow restrictor makes the tub
fill slower than you could do with a tank heater.
I think 3 heaters was overkill since I am not sure his well can even
pump water that fast tho.,
Posted to alt.home.repair

they.....
use a buttload of power.

+1

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

They require huge amoints of amps or cu ft of gas - to the point many
houses cannot use them without a new electrical service or updated gas
supply.