Posted to alt.home.repair

Default On-Demand/Tankless Water Heater

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG).
Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 05:44:30 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG).
Thanks!

Sure, if they know what it is you are trying to do. They need more
information that simply that you have NG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG).

Thanks!

Sure, if they know what it is you are trying to do. They need more

information that simply that you have NG.

ah...heat water! Since you didn't say what else is needed!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG).

Thanks!

Sure, if they know what it is you are trying to do. They need more

information that simply that you have NG.

ah...heat water! Since you didn't say what else is needed!

The tankless needs to be sized properly, plus some other things.

Have a look here and come back with a little more detail about your
house. In older homes it may be more difficult than just attaching a
tankless heater. Calculations have to be made.

http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob_Villa wrote:

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have
1.5 baths (using NG). Thanks!

The only thing that tankless water heaters have proven about themselves
is that they are more expensive to buy and install vs conventional tank
heaters, more prone to needing repair (costly repair at that), and any
benefits in terms of cost-of-operation over conventional tanks are
overstated, illusionary, or outright lies.

To answer your question (and be able to argue the pro's and con's of
tankless vs conventional for your case) we need to know:

1) What is the coldest incoming water temperature in the winter for your
location? The colder your municipal water supply is, the more
substantial the heating plant needs to be (BTU's) for a tankless
system. Remember that in northern climates, substantial piping changes
need to be made to be able to deliver enough natural gas to a tankless
system.

2) What is the composition of your household? A home with more young
people typically uses more hot water (for showers, baths, laundry,
kitchen, etc) than a household with older inhabitants. It would be hard
to justify the upfront costs of a tankless system in a household
composed of two people (married couple, etc) in their 50's or older, for
example.

3) To some extent, the length of plumbing runs between the water heater
and the most-used fixtures (shower, wash basin, etc) and if these runs
are insulated. The dynamics of how often and how long you typically
have to "let the water run" to get hot water to the desired fixture can
impact the efficient operation of a tankless system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5
baths (using NG).

Thanks!

Sure, if they know what it is you are trying to do. They need more

information that simply that you have NG.

ah...heat water! Since you didn't say what else is needed!

The tankless needs to be sized properly, plus some other things.

Have a look here and come back with a little more detail about your
house. In older homes it may be more difficult than just attaching a
tankless heater. Calculations have to be made.

http://tanklesswaterheaterguide.com/

Right. What the calculations showed me when I wanted to replace a NG-fired
water heater with a tankless was the size of the NG feed pipe needed. I
would have had to replace the pipe back to the meter. Tankless may be more
efficient, but when they're on, the want lots of gas right now. Same with
eletrical powered units.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/13 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have 1.5 baths (using NG).
Thanks!

One of the things to consider is the size of your incoming gas
line. I put in a Rheem tankless but didn't increase my incoming gas
line size. It's ok for my use.
My dishwasher and shower are the only things that need heated water.
I don't use them simultaneously. Bachelors get by easier than married
guys. Or so I hear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have
1.5 baths (using NG). Thanks!

Of course you must figure what your rate of flow should be to size your
tankless "cold" water heater. For natural gas I would recommend the Bosh
heater that has the built in water powered generator for the igniter and
electronic controls. It's a little paddle wheel inside a housing in the
unit that produces electricity whenever water flows so you will have hot
water even if the electrical power is off at your home. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Therm-52...ch +520+HN+NG

http://tinyurl.com/mg55djg

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:38:01 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Of course you must figure what your rate of flow should be to size your
tankless "cold" water heater. For natural gas I would recommend the Bosh
heater that has the built in water powered generator for the igniter and
electronic controls. It's a little paddle wheel inside a housing in the
unit that produces electricity whenever water flows so you will have hot
water even if the electrical power is off at your home. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Therm-52...ch +520+HN+NG

http://tinyurl.com/mg55djg

TDD

I totally agree with the micro turbine igniter. Take a look on the
single review on the link.

The person never states if calculations were made to support a
tankless. It can be very costly to retrofit for a tankless. A new
construction is the best time to plan and install one.

I like tankless, seen them done properly, that are trouble free.

2 cents...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 7:44 AM, Bob_Villa wrote:
Can a contractor or installer recommend a good brand...we only have
1.5 baths (using NG). Thanks!

Of course you must figure what your rate of flow should be to size your
tankless "cold" water heater. For natural gas I would recommend the Bosh
heater that has the built in water powered generator for the igniter and
electronic controls. It's a little paddle wheel inside a housing in the
unit that produces electricity whenever water flows so you will have hot
water even if the electrical power is off at your home. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Therm-52...ch +520+HN+NG

http://tinyurl.com/mg55djg

TDD

I think there were some tankless heaters that used batteries to
power the ignitors. Memory failure on which brand.
My spell check doesn't like igniter or ignitor. Ignightor? Nope.
Ignighter. Shucks, missed again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/23/2013 12:37 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

My WordWeb app likes either one, "igniter or ignitor". My Thunderbird,
spell check as you go, likes "igniter" but chokes on "ignitor". Don't
you just love The English Language? o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
[...]

Use "the thing that lights the fire" instead.

My iPad suggests igniter if I try to type ignitor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Self powered tankless CAN NOT be power vent! They are limited to chimney venting and the chimney must be large enough for the high BTUs of a tankless.

In parts of the country the cold wnter weather can reduce heating ability... depending on incoming water temperature. using just a mall amount of hot water may not be enough to turn on the tankless burner

OP is probably better off with ma high efficeny water heater lie a VERTEX.......

they have around 98% thermal efficency

In any case tankless might end up increasing your water heating costs have a teenager? endless showers can cost big bucks for not only gas to heat mthe water, but the water and sewage...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 24, 2013 7:09:38 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
Self powered tankless CAN NOT be power vent! They are limited to chimney venting and the chimney must be large enough for the high BTUs of a tankless.

In parts of the country the cold wnter weather can reduce heating ability... depending on incoming water temperature. using just a mall amount of hot water may not be enough to turn on the tankless burner

OP is probably better off with ma high efficeny water heater lie a VERTEX.......

they have around 98% thermal efficency

In any case tankless might end up increasing your water heating costs have a teenager? endless showers can cost big bucks for not only gas to heat mthe water, but the water and sewage...

Thanks...count me convinced on not buying it!