Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Convert 4 way switch?

replying to John Grabowski, Tony Mazeika wrote:
Your response sounds exactly like what I did. Now have 3 way set up. If the
first 3 way is on , the second 3 way works fine ( on & off ). If the first 3
way is off the second 3 way doesn't work. ???
Tony Mazeika

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ch-552605-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your response sounds exactly like what I did. Now have 3 way set up. If the
first 3 way is on , the second 3 way works fine ( on & off ). If the first 3
way is off the second 3 way doesn't work. ???
Tony Mazeika

One of the connections is wrong. You may have the hot wire or the load wire on one of the traveler screws. Identify the hot wire and the load wire and make sure that they are on the screw terminals that are black.

This page has 2 simple diagrams. One without a 4-way switch and one with a 4-way switch: http://www.mrelectrician.tv/question...owire3way.html

John Grabowski
http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Mazeika" wrote in message
oups.com...

replying to John Grabowski, Tony Mazeika wrote:
Your response sounds exactly like what I did. Now have 3 way set up. If the
first 3 way is on , the second 3 way works fine ( on & off ). If the first 3
way is off the second 3 way doesn't work. ???
Tony Mazeika

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ch-552605-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, Mobile and Social Media Interface to
alt.home.repair and other home improvement groups

****Excuse my ignorance but I have never seen or hear of 4 way switch (that
is for home use)
there are multi pole switches but 4 way???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 14:38:49 -0700, "Tony944" wrote:

Excuse my ignorance but I have never seen or hear of 4 way switch (that
is for home use)
there are multi pole switches but 4 way???

It is an unfortunate name, chosen because the switch has 4 terminals.
You insert that in a set of 3 way switch travelers to allow control
from an additional location. There is no limit to the number of 4 ways
in a 3 way switch loop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to John G, Tony Mazeika wrote:
That was the problem I swapped terminals for blk & red wires & it works fine
now
Thanx