Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Windows licence expire soon .. ?

Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
" Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
Any advice on this or a work-around ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 12:26:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
" Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
Any advice on this or a work-around ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.

Send me an email and I will tell you how to activate it (use your " account so I know it's you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/4/2016 10:54 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 10:37:55 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 4/4/2016 10:27 AM,
wrote:
Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
" Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
Any advice on this or a work-around ?
Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it was a *valid* license when you purchased it?
Esp given that the CoA doesn't agree with the reported OS version...
Were you given the original (re-)install media for the machine
at the time of purchase?

The Vista Business sticker looks like the original -
the Win 8 was installed by a previous owner -

You only have documented proof that you are entitled to a Vista
Business license. For all you know, the 8.1 upgrade may have been
unlicensed.

[Would you buy a car without a copy of the title?]

no disks came with the computer - it was a private sale.
.... if I had the stuff you ask about - I doubt that I would
be asking, here, for a work-around - right ?

Most folks that have asked me for help with their computers
HAVE the original install disks -- or, a way of having their
computer *make* them. Yet, they still "ask (here)".

but thanks for the reply - any help is appreciated.

I suspect you have a hacked license and the chickens have
now come home to roost. Fourteen months is a LOT longer
than the time it takes for Windows to pester you about
"activation" -- IIRC, 30 or 90 days (and, in recent
releases, it may just nag you -- and refuse to allow
any updates -- instead of "refusing to boot")
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 12:55:15 -0500, philo wrote:

I don't know how many days one has to activate Windows, but since it's
been 14 months it would have been activated a long time ago.

If hardware was changed it may ask for re-activation...so if it needs to
be re-activated...then do so.

Some hardware can be changed without a need to re-activate. HDD, RAM
but a MOBO would need it. AIUI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
| " Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
| in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
| Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
| Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
| No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
| Any advice on this or a work-around ?

It's hard to know for sure from the wording, but
it could be a scam. OEM computers (made by name
brand companies) shouldn't ever need activation,
and Windows license don't expire. If you don't figure
it out you could try two things:

1) Do a search for the exact wording to see if
it's a known scam.

2) While the message is onscreen, press
Ctl + Alt + Delete and select Task Manager.
Under applications or processes see what's
running. If anything looks unusual you can
track down that EXE file name and see what
it is. Sysinternals.com has a better tool,
called Process Explorer. In that you can hover
the mouse over a running program listing and
see the EXE path. Then find that file, right-
click, click Properties, click Version to find
out about it. You can also do a search for
the EXE name.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 1:26:27 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
" Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
Any advice on this or a work-around ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.

Thanks all for helping. I did find a fix/work-around
using a google search for "windows license will expire soon"
lots of hits for Win 8.1 and a fairly easy fix - if it works ..
fingers crossed ..
btw the Belarc Win 8.1 key didn't work ; and the Vista key didn't work - tried them both twice prior to trying the fix.
... they were rejected as not valid ..
Fix is : cmd prompt admin slmgr -rearm
then re-start computer.
The file that generates the message is LicensingUI.exe.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 15:41:22 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
| " Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
| in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
| Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
| Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
| No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
| Any advice on this or a work-around ?

It's hard to know for sure from the wording, but
it could be a scam. OEM computers (made by name
brand companies) shouldn't ever need activation,
and Windows license don't expire. If you don't figure
it out you could try two things:

1) Do a search for the exact wording to see if
it's a known scam.

2) While the message is onscreen, press
Ctl + Alt + Delete and select Task Manager.
Under applications or processes see what's
running. If anything looks unusual you can
track down that EXE file name and see what
it is. Sysinternals.com has a better tool,
called Process Explorer. In that you can hover
the mouse over a running program listing and
see the EXE path. Then find that file, right-
click, click Properties, click Version to find
out about it. You can also do a search for
the EXE name.

Lots of OEM installations require authentication (if they use an
install disk instead of an image) and the installed Win* may well be
an upfrade purchaced retail, or a total new installation purchased
retail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

| Lots of OEM installations require authentication (if they use an
| install disk instead of an image)

They don't use a disk. It's pre-installed
and locked to the BIOS. It's rare to even get
a restore disk anymore. Most just have a
hidden partition for restore. The OEM license
specifies being limited to a single machine.
Not providing a disk helps enforce that.

| and the installed Win* may well be
| an upfrade purchaced retail, or a total new installation purchased
| retail.

That's possible. He says it has a Vista sticker
but that it's running Win8. He may just be
misquoting the message it's giving him. I could
imagine someone shoehorning any old Win8
onto the laptop with no possibility of ever
activating, only as a means to get it sold. Most
people would consider Win8 better than Vista
because it's newer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 20:59:43 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Lots of OEM installations require authentication (if they use an
| install disk instead of an image)

They don't use a disk. It's pre-installed
and locked to the BIOS. It's rare to even get
a restore disk anymore. Most just have a
hidden partition for restore. The OEM license
specifies being limited to a single machine.
Not providing a disk helps enforce that.

I'm in the business. There are 2 ways "oem" licences are provided.
There are the smaller OEMs that use an OEM install disk that is
identical to a retail package except for the key, and then there is
the "pre-install" The "pre-install" comes 2 different ways. Some come
with an installtion key and requires authentication. Others, like the
new ACERS do not have a separate installation key and do not
(generally) require authentication.(all VM4630G systems, for instance,
use the same installation key). I have had some that required
re-authentication after adding or changing things like different hard
drive, add-on video, and a RAID controller. I think it is 3 "major"
changes trips the authentication - and "usually" the online
authentication doesn't work - but phone-in does. When they ask how
many systems this copy of the program is installed on you have to say
"one" and it says "confirmed" and authenticates.

With both of the latter, there is a hidden partition that contains an
"image" that it installs from. It has all the drivers for the
equipment that comes on the computer, and virtually no extras - and is
usually also full of "bloatware". Both are also capable of creating a
"restore disk" - and "restore disks" are available for purchace from
the company. Virtually NONE are locked to the bios in that they will
not run on another motherboard of the same model - and very few won't
install on a different motherboard with the same chip-set. (I've had
to replace a few motherboards on off-warranty systems and have used
boards from other manufacturers - as long as they have the same
chipset )

On the newest computers that don't use a "bios" and don't use an "MBR"
things are more complex. I have not had to replace any motherboards -
but cloning a hard-drive to put in a larger drive can be a real
challenge. Rolling out software on one system and then cloning the
drive to the other 49 sytems on a 50 system install doesn't work like
it did on the systems with a bios and MBR.

The first type uses an "installation disk" - not a "restore disk" -
and it will work on virtually any hardware - but it requires the
proper installation key.

| and the installed Win* may well be
| an upfrade purchaced retail, or a total new installation purchased
| retail.

That's possible. He says it has a Vista sticker
but that it's running Win8. He may just be
misquoting the message it's giving him. I could
imagine someone shoehorning any old Win8
onto the laptop with no possibility of ever
activating, only as a means to get it sold. Most
people would consider Win8 better than Vista
because it's newer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
| " Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
| in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
| Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
| Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
| No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
| Any advice on this or a work-around ?

It's hard to know for sure from the wording, but
it could be a scam. OEM computers (made by name
brand companies) shouldn't ever need activation,
and Windows license don't expire. If you don't figure
it out you could try two things:

1) Do a search for the exact wording to see if
it's a known scam.

2) While the message is onscreen, press
Ctl + Alt + Delete and select Task Manager.
Under applications or processes see what's
running. If anything looks unusual you can
track down that EXE file name and see what
it is. Sysinternals.com has a better tool,
called Process Explorer. In that you can hover
the mouse over a running program listing and
see the EXE path. Then find that file, right-
click, click Properties, click Version to find
out about it. You can also do a search for
the EXE name.

Lots of OEM installations require authentication (if they use an
install disk instead of an image) and the installed Win* may well be
an upfrade purchaced retail, or a total new installation purchased
retail.

This depends on the OEM and the type of licensing in place.

It has also changed, over time. E.g., for XP, the BIOS simply
needed to include a (appropriately tagged) name of the PC vendor.

So, a "Dell" installation CD can typically install that version of
Windows on any PC's of "the appropriate age/generation". The machine
will not prompt for a license key during the installation. And, will
not whine about trying to phone home (for automatic activation).

Using Dell media on a non-Dell machine will behave in much the same
way as RETAIL media -- you will be prompted for a key, it will be
"activated" when you go on-line, etc.

The annoying aspect is that the mechanisms are not backward compatible.
E.g., I had a genuine Dell machine on which I installed 7even to see
what it was like (i.e., do I want to go to the trouble of trying to install
all of my software on a newer OS? what will that buy me in terms of
performance? etc.). As the machine couldn't talk to the outside world,
Windows eventually complained that the copy wasn't "genuine".

AFAIK, it may be possible to patch a (FLASH) BIOS to insert/replace the
appropriate key and tag. But, as I have no desire to undertake the
effort (gamble!) of installing all of my tools on a newer OS, I've not
explored that option.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

| Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
| " Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
| in PC settings " by May 4 it will want a long authentication code.
| Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
| Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
| No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
| Any advice on this or a work-around ?

It's hard to know for sure from the wording, but
it could be a scam. OEM computers (made by name
brand companies) shouldn't ever need activation,
and Windows license don't expire. If you don't figure
it out you could try two things:

1) Do a search for the exact wording to see if
it's a known scam.

2) While the message is onscreen, press
Ctl + Alt + Delete and select Task Manager.
Under applications or processes see what's
running. If anything looks unusual you can
track down that EXE file name and see what
it is. Sysinternals.com has a better tool,
called Process Explorer. In that you can hover
the mouse over a running program listing and
see the EXE path. Then find that file, right-
click, click Properties, click Version to find
out about it. You can also do a search for
the EXE name.

Lots of OEM installations require authentication (if they use an
install disk instead of an image) and the installed Win* may well be
an upfrade purchaced retail, or a total new installation purchased
retail.

This depends on the OEM and the type of licensing in place.

It has also changed, over time. E.g., for XP, the BIOS simply
needed to include a (appropriately tagged) name of the PC vendor.

So, a "Dell" installation CD can typically install that version of
Windows on any PC's of "the appropriate age/generation". The machine
will not prompt for a license key during the installation. And, will
not whine about trying to phone home (for automatic activation).

Using Dell media on a non-Dell machine will behave in much the same
way as RETAIL media -- you will be prompted for a key, it will be
"activated" when you go on-line, etc.

The annoying aspect is that the mechanisms are not backward compatible.
E.g., I had a genuine Dell machine on which I installed 7even to see
what it was like (i.e., do I want to go to the trouble of trying to install
all of my software on a newer OS? what will that buy me in terms of
performance? etc.). As the machine couldn't talk to the outside world,
Windows eventually complained that the copy wasn't "genuine".

It doesn't need to talk to the outside world to authenticate by phone.

AFAIK, it may be possible to patch a (FLASH) BIOS to insert/replace the
appropriate key and tag. But, as I have no desire to undertake the
effort (gamble!) of installing all of my tools on a newer OS, I've not
explored that option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Windows licence expired

Hi All ; just got this warning message - never seen it before -
" Windows licence will expire soon. You need to activate windows
Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used ~ 14 months ago.
Running Win 8.1 Pro ; sticker says Win Vista Business.
No problems or issues of any kind - until now :-(
Any advice on this or a work-around ?
Thanks in advance.
John T.

snipped a bunch

Thanks all for helping. I did find a fix/work-around
using a google search for "windows license will expire soon"
lots of hits for Win 8.1 and a fairly easy fix - if it works ..
fingers crossed ..
btw the Belarc Win 8.1 key didn't work ; and the Vista key didn't work -
tried them both twice prior to trying the fix.
.. they were rejected as not valid ..
Fix is : cmd prompt admin slmgr -rearm
then re-start computer.
The file that generates the message is LicensingUI.exe.
John T.

This fix did get rid of the annoying reminders - but now my
Win 8.1 is "not activated" ... but still working ok.
... just the water-mark notice in the lower right corner.
What are the consequences of continuing to use the
computer in this state ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 10:20:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

From a practical standpoint, probably none until it stops
working because it's not activated. IDK how long it will
go before that happens. From a legal standpoint? If it's
a legal copy, none. It's a counterfeit copy of Windows,
I guess technically MSFT and/or the govt could come after you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I found a solution here - but it installed something -
hopfully not malware ... time will tell ..
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2013/...Activator.html
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-05-03 7:44 AM, wrote:

[...]

Firefox detects that site for malware, be careful.

--
Froz....

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found a solution here - but it installed something -
hopfully not malware ... time will tell ..
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2013/...Activator.html
John T.

Firefox detects that site for malware, be careful.

... thanks - but it's probably too late now.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Windows 8 licence expire soon .. ?

Thanks all for helping. I did find a fix/work-around
using a google search for "windows license will expire soon"
lots of hits for Win 8.1 and a fairly easy fix - if it works ..
fingers crossed ..
btw the Belarc Win 8.1 key didn't work ; and the Vista key didn't work -
I tried them both twice prior to trying the fix.
... they were rejected as not valid ..
Fix is : cmd prompt admin slmgr -rearm
then re-start computer.
The file that generates the message is LicensingUI.exe.

You've just kicked the can down the road and restarted the "trial period".
You can expect to repeat this exercise next month/quarter. After three or
four such "resets", the trick stops working.
Try:
slarm /dlv
and note the lines pertaining to "initial grace period" and "rearm count".
Pirate installations effectively do this automatically as part of the
bootstrap procedure. Then, resets the counter (part of the registry) that
limits you to 4 "resets".

Just like that mysterious skin rash .. It's Back ! :-(

re-cap : Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used - private sale;
running Win 8.1 ; sticker is Vista Business ; " Windows license will
expire soon" alert message comes back every year.

" slarm " not recognized as a command nor batch file

I wonder if my ~ annual expiration stems from the original
Vista --- Win8 upgrade by the previous owner ? :
" Windows system activated from an organization’s KMS server"
as stated in this web article :

https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how...ndows-license/

Here we go again ... hope I haven't exceeded the reset limit ..
Any helpful advice is appreciated.
John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LOL

****ing scam!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 09:17:47 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Look in the UEFT (replaces the old BIOS) You may find the license in
there. Not sure. Lenova also puts the machine serial number in there
for tech support. I just sent back a Lenova 300S that was DOA.

"UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware
interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output
system). This standard was created by over 140 technology companies as
part of the UEFI consortium, including Microsoft. It's designed to
improve software interoperability and address limitations of BIOS."

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/52987-bios-uefi-firmware-version-find-windows.html

HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I wouldn't know what to do if I found the license .. ?
The online re-activation doesn't work - probably trying to communicate
with the original KMS server ? The offline activation requires a
long product key - which I don't have ..
I have run the SLMGR.VBS /DLI , /DLV , /XPR
DOS commands to get a bunch of info. as per my link, above.
The question remains - will these annual re-sets continue
indefinitely ? or will I have a limit of 3 or 4 - then be
out-of-luck ? I'd like to find a permanent fix if possible.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/29/2017 9:32 AM, wrote:
[...]

Does win8 have anything you really need?
It's a decent system after you get all the
service packs installed. I have no experience with Vista business.
May have a hard time finding an install disk for that.
Standard install disk may not work with your key. Asking in
a proper computer newsgroup may provide that answer.

This is absolutely the wrong place to be asking about this.
You're far more likely to find an answer in a hacker/cracker
group.
Looks like you bought a pirated system.
There likely is NO possible free permanent license-compliant fix for
this. Pirate solutions may be available in pirate newsgroups.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Thanks for the comments - I suspect you're right.
I'm not married to Win8 but I haven't installed or re-installed an
operating system since Win98 ... my learning curve flat-lined
a long time ago ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't know what to do if I found the license .. ?
The online re-activation doesn't work - probably trying to communicate
with the original KMS server ? The offline activation requires a
long product key - which I don't have ..
I have run the SLMGR.VBS /DLI , /DLV , /XPR
DOS commands to get a bunch of info. as per my link, above.
The question remains - will these annual re-sets continue
indefinitely ? or will I have a limit of 3 or 4 - then be
out-of-luck ? I'd like to find a permanent fix if possible.
John T.

Best Buy has a service contract with Lenova. Might find a store with
the Geek Squad, call and ask if they will re image the drive to OEM.
Was this laptop updated from Win7 to Win8 ?
Lenova site: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/

Thanks for the input. Not sure that I'd pay many after-tax dollars
to fix a $ 140. laptop, though.
I bought the laptop used, private sale, running Win8
but with a Vista Business sticker.
It seems that the Win8 is activated via Key Management Service -
by the previous owner. This license activation apparently requires
annual re-set or renewal ?. I have a "hack" that worked last
year - but 'm not sure if I can do that indefinitely or whether there
is a limit ?
John T.

Does this T-Mobile/LG smartphone carrier unlock code ever expire? Judy Miller Electronics Repair 19 February 18th 14 05:33 AM
TV licence Muddymike[_2_] UK diy 32 June 3rd 13 07:12 PM
TV Licence Stewart[_2_] UK diy 120 January 23rd 10 11:18 AM
Do Not Call listings to expire in 2008 Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 33 September 26th 07 12:17 AM
Does listed building consent ever expire? Reestit Mutton UK diy 2 October 26th 03 02:20 PM