Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default OT Windows 8 licence expire soon .. ?

On 3/29/2017 9:32 AM, wrote:
Thanks all for helping. I did find a fix/work-around
using a google search for "windows license will expire soon"
lots of hits for Win 8.1 and a fairly easy fix - if it works ..
fingers crossed ..
btw the Belarc Win 8.1 key didn't work ; and the Vista key didn't work -
I tried them both twice prior to trying the fix.
... they were rejected as not valid ..
Fix is : cmd prompt admin slmgr -rearm
then re-start computer.
The file that generates the message is LicensingUI.exe.

You've just kicked the can down the road and restarted the "trial period".
You can expect to repeat this exercise next month/quarter. After three or
four such "resets", the trick stops working.

Just like that mysterious skin rash .. It's Back ! :-(

re-cap : Lenovo T500 laptop purchased used - private sale;
running Win 8.1 ; sticker is Vista Business ; " Windows license will
expire soon" alert message comes back every year.

I wonder if my ~ annual expiration stems from the original
Vista --- Win8 upgrade by the previous owner ? :
" Windows system activated from an organization’s KMS server"
as stated in this web article :

https://www.howtogeek.com/245445/how...ndows-license/

Here we go again ... hope I haven't exceeded the reset limit ..
Any helpful advice is appreciated.
John T.

Look in the UEFT (replaces the old BIOS) You may find the license in
there. Not sure. Lenova also puts the machine serial number in there
for tech support. I just sent back a Lenova 300S that was DOA.

"UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is a standard firmware
interface for PCs, designed to replace BIOS (basic input/output
system). This standard was created by over 140 technology companies as
part of the UEFI consortium, including Microsoft. It's designed to
improve software interoperability and address limitations of BIOS."

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/52987-bios-uefi-firmware-version-find-windows.html

HTH

I wouldn't know what to do if I found the license .. ?
The online re-activation doesn't work - probably trying to communicate
with the original KMS server ? The offline activation requires a
long product key - which I don't have ..
I have run the SLMGR.VBS /DLI , /DLV , /XPR
DOS commands to get a bunch of info. as per my link, above.
The question remains - will these annual re-sets continue
indefinitely ? or will I have a limit of 3 or 4 - then be
out-of-luck ? I'd like to find a permanent fix if possible.
John T.

Does win8 have anything you really need?
It's a decent system after you get all the
service packs installed. I have no experience with Vista business.
May have a hard time finding an install disk for that.
Standard install disk may not work with your key. Asking in
a proper computer newsgroup may provide that answer.

This is absolutely the wrong place to be asking about this.
You're far more likely to find an answer in a hacker/cracker
group.
Looks like you bought a pirated system.
There likely is NO possible free permanent license-compliant fix for
this. Pirate solutions may be available in pirate newsgroups.