Posted to alt.home.repair
Mic Mic is offline

Default No compression !

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/19/2016 07:44 PM, Mic wrote:
I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

rings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Check the head gasket and valves (seating) 1st.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/19/2016 06:44 PM, Mic wrote:
I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Low or none whatsoever? I don't know anything about Kohlers but is
something in the valve train broken so the valves aren't seating?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 00:44:01 +0000, Mic
wrote:

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Most likely cause is a valve stuck open from sitting. If it is a
flathead pop the head off and squirt penetrant around the guide of the
stuck open valve and tap the valve gently down (piston at BDC)

If OHV remove muffler and carb - soak valve stems with penetant remove
rocker cover and gently tap on the valve stem to free it up so the
spring can pull it closed. If you can't get it closed that way the
head will have to come off and the valves worked from there.

Then when you get the valveclosing and the engine running, run a bit
of top lube, like MMO in the gas. Some mmo in the oil won't hurt
either. Get it warmed up and change the oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 19:56:54 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/19/2016 06:44 PM, Mic wrote:
I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Low or none whatsoever? I don't know anything about Kohlers but is
something in the valve train broken so the valves aren't seating?

Not at all uncommon for a valve to stick open on an engine that has
been poorly stored or stored a long time - or even on an older engine
with carbon buildup on the valves/stems - regardless how it is stored.

One "too" that helps free up stuck valves is a product called
"avblend" that attacks carbon and lead buildup on the valve
stem/guide. It is used by many AMEs on aircraft engines with "morning
sickness' (running rough when first started cold due to a slow/sticky
valve) Available from places like Aircraft Spruce.

Works a bit better and faster than MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) but costs
a lot more too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Broken valve spring or a warped burnt valve not seating? You did a
compression test first, right?

I be that engine has a model number you can post a link to, huh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Broken valve spring...

....you pulled that one outya ass!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Broken valve spring...

...you pulled that one outya ass!

I sure hope not ! That would hurt ...

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/16 8:44 PM, Mic wrote:
I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Given the lack of fix-it savvy your post reflects, you should start with
the Yellow Pages or a local Google search on "Small Engine Repair Shops".

--
Is it my imagination, or did we start downhill when the Personnel
Department became Human Resources?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2016 6:52 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 7:44:05 PM UTC-5, Mic wrote:
I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

--

Check the head gasket and valves (seating) 1st.

Notice how Bob "Taco Bender" Avilla talks about giving head.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression
Where do I start ?

Go to the hardware store and buy a box of compression!

(Yea, I know I just replied to something that was posted a decade ago,
or something like that)....

$ per mile: high compression/high test vs. low compression/regular [email protected] Metalworking 1 February 16th 13 03:23 PM
use compression or solder? [email protected] Home Repair 18 June 14th 06 05:30 PM
Engine compression rating = cilinder lb compression m Ransley Home Repair 13 April 9th 06 05:52 AM
compression 11hp b&s whitt Home Repair 3 July 22nd 05 04:12 PM
Compression fittings rile Home Repair 5 May 13th 05 03:36 AM