Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Group stats?

I was wondering how or where we get those monthly repair group stats? Is
there a url that I can view? I can't seem to find any links to stats
via google groups.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:16:40 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I was wondering how or where we get those monthly repair group stats? Is
there a url that I can view? I can't seem to find any links to stats
via google groups.

"badgolferman" posts stats for this group every month. Look for his posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:36:11 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:16:40 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I was wondering how or where we get those monthly repair group stats? Is
there a url that I can view? I can't seem to find any links to stats
via google groups.

"badgolferman" posts stats for this group every month. Look for his posts.

I think it is a service for Deja News users. I have not been able to
duplicate it at Giga News.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2016 2:36 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 14:16:40 -0500, Muggles wrote:

I was wondering how or where we get those monthly repair group stats? Is
there a url that I can view? I can't seem to find any links to stats
via google groups.

"badgolferman" posts stats for this group every month. Look for his posts.

That's right. I couldn't remember the name, but I was hoping there was
a url where I could look at the stats myself mid-month. I kind of like
to play with them and see what the numbers say.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was wondering how or where we get those monthly repair group
stats? Is there a url that I can view? I can't seem to find any
links to stats via google groups.

"badgolferman" posts stats for this group every month. Look for
his posts.

That's right. I couldn't remember the name, but I was hoping there
was a url where I could look at the stats myself mid-month. I kind of
like to play with them and see what the numbers say.

As has been mentioned, my newsreader has a function that tabulates the
messages to the group which I will post once a month. It's entirely
dependent upon my downloading the messages so it can read headers and
some content.

Google Groups has a rudimentary statistics page for each group as well.
I cannot speak for its accuracy since I'm rather certain they honor the
X-Noarchive setting that certain people like to use so their messages
won't be archived by newsservers. Here's the one for alt.home.repair:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...lt.home.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! You're right in saying the gg stats page is rudimentary!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hey, I was looking on google, out of curiosity sake, to see if other
news readers had the option for group statistics like yours has, and
turns out that Mesnews does statistics. I have an old copy of it, so I
thought I'd check it out and see what it showed, if anything useful at
all. Took me a while to update it and then download the repair group
posts, and then try their stats report.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you what you (or anyone else interested) thought
of the stats it provided? I converted it to a pdf and uploaded here so
you/anyone could get a look at it.

https://www.docdroid.net/m9crHF1/rep...31816.pdf.html

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

Hey, I was looking on google, out of curiosity sake, to see if other
news readers had the option for group statistics like yours has, and
turns out that Mesnews does statistics. I have an old copy of it, so
I thought I'd check it out and see what it showed, if anything useful
at all. Took me a while to update it and then download the repair
group posts, and then try their stats report.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you what you (or anyone else interested)
thought of the stats it provided? I converted it to a pdf and
uploaded here so you/anyone could get a look at it.

https://www.docdroid.net/m9crHF1/rep...31816.pdf.html

Those are certainly more comprehensive than what my newsreader shows,
but I question the necessity for most of those statistics. Not only
that, hardly anyone here would bother reading 23 pages of group
statistics.

At the time I was switching from Outlook Express to a new newsreader I
experimented with several available ones before settling on Xananews.
Mesnews, Dialog and Xnews were others I tried extensively but in the
end I found Xananews closest to Outlook Express and it just fit my eye
better. The range of customization is endless and it doesn't use a
scoring system for filtering articles which I found confusing. These
days it seems most people prefer Thunderbird but I haven't progressed
that far yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/18/2016 4:36 PM, badgolferman wrote:
Muggles wrote:

Hey, I was looking on google, out of curiosity sake, to see if other
news readers had the option for group statistics like yours has, and
turns out that Mesnews does statistics. I have an old copy of it, so
I thought I'd check it out and see what it showed, if anything useful
at all. Took me a while to update it and then download the repair
group posts, and then try their stats report.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you what you (or anyone else interested)
thought of the stats it provided? I converted it to a pdf and
uploaded here so you/anyone could get a look at it.

https://www.docdroid.net/m9crHF1/rep...31816.pdf.html

Those are certainly more comprehensive than what my newsreader shows,
but I question the necessity for most of those statistics. Not only
that, hardly anyone here would bother reading 23 pages of group
statistics.

Well, the report can be edited to have less information, plus, I had to
change the view of the original doc file so all columns would fit on the
page, which, made it more pages. What I found interesting was the
number of different people who actually post to the repair group - over
200 different people just in the first 17 days of the this month. Also,
the percentages it showed of how often people posted. It would have
been easy to just take the top 20 of everything and just show a few
pages of stats, too, but since it was the first time I thought I'd show
everything mesnews tallied up.

At the time I was switching from Outlook Express to a new newsreader I
experimented with several available ones before settling on Xananews.
Mesnews, Dialog and Xnews were others I tried extensively but in the
end I found Xananews closest to Outlook Express and it just fit my eye
better. The range of customization is endless and it doesn't use a
scoring system for filtering articles which I found confusing. These
days it seems most people prefer Thunderbird but I haven't progressed
that far yet.

Is Xananews a paid news reader? I've not looked that one up or seen it
on any of my searches.
--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

[...]

No, it's free. It was abandoned by the original developer after he got
involved in World of Warcraft. Another guy recently took it over and has
been working on it. Frankly I haven't kept up to date because it works
perfectly fine for me and I have modified mine to make it a no install
program and the newer versions broke that so I reverted back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

[...]

Is it portable?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

[...]

Yes, but not natively. Requires editing of a XML configuration file. I'm
not sure if newer versions have become more capable of being portable since
I don't participate in the newsgroup anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:

[...]

k thanks for the info.

--
Maggie

Power cut stats Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 12 October 30th 12 08:29 PM
Tomorrows stats Wes[_5_] Metalworking 8 March 5th 12 01:16 AM
The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted tothis group will make your email address visible to anyone on the Internet. gro Electronics Repair 4 February 21st 09 01:53 AM
Tolerance on stats The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 November 25th 08 02:20 PM
Drayton RF stats Stuart Noble UK diy 4 December 24th 06 09:41 AM