Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any TIVO folks here?

I am looking at my options for cutting the cable (Actually satellite)
My main concern is what to use for a DVR for broadcast signals.
Can I buy an old Tivo for this. Is the guide still being supported?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am looking at my options for cutting the cable (Actually satellite)
My main concern is what to use for a DVR for broadcast signals.
Can I buy an old Tivo for this. Is the guide still being supported?

They still provide guide data for old models, but (IMHO) this only makes
sense if you can find a TiVo unit in good condition that already has
lifetime service. Otherwise, the money for TiVo's exorbitant service
fees would better go toward a small computer with an internal tuner card
or an external tuning adapter such as those from Hauppauge and
SiliconDust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was really looking for a turn key solution if I could find one.

For refurbished TiVo units, icluding some with lifetime service, try
weaKnees.

http://www.weaknees.com/

The Series 3 and later are HD.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Neill Massello" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

I was really looking for a turn key solution if I could find one.

For refurbished TiVo units, icluding some with lifetime service, try
weaKnees.

http://www.weaknees.com/

The Series 3 and later are HD.

For recording TV in usable format I use a Ross Freesat box, has all the
Freeview channels and more. Only downside for me is I can't get the Irish
SaorvIew channels on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 7:26:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am looking at my options for cutting the cable (Actually satellite)
My main concern is what to use for a DVR for broadcast signals.
Can I buy an old Tivo for this. Is the guide still being supported?

buy a used tivo with lifetime service, its affordable, and works awesome.

some dvrs like the dish pal one and perhaps the maganavox used guide data the local stations no longer provide

some tivos hsupport on line streaming of shows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per :
I am looking at my options for cutting the cable (Actually satellite)
My main concern is what to use for a DVR for broadcast signals.
Can I buy an old Tivo for this. Is the guide still being supported?

Dunno from TIVO, but I use something called SageTV which runs on my 27-7
PC. Strictly OTA - we do not have cable or dish.

Since Google bought it out and killed off the company, Sage has gone
Open Source, but I am not sure about freebie EPG availability on the
Open Source version.

OTOH, if you buy a "Used" licence for SageTV v7.something, you get free
EPG service basically forever or until somebody changes their mind.
There is a marketplace for that stuff at
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Advantages I Perceive in SageTV:

- Your Choice of Tuners: I have six tuners from SiliconDust
and they live in my garden shed and connect to my LAN instead of
hogging space in my PC. Sometimes you will want to record two or
more shows that air at the same time. Multiple tuners allow this.

Plus, I can connect to them from my phone or tablet and use those
devices to watch live TV

- Your Choice of Storage: Need more? Add drives to your PC or get
a NAS box. Very small requirements? Maybe your PC already has
enough space.

- Remote Boxes: You can buy something called an "HD200" or "HD300".
This is a little black box that pulls 2.5-5 watts max, has no moving
parts, and is totally silent. You put it under your TV, connect
via an HDMI cable, and now the TV has full access to SageTV running
on your PC. Multiple TVs ? Multiple boxes. Also available
in aforementioned market place.

- LAN Access: If you share the drive(s) used by SageTV on your PC,
you can connect to them from your phone or tablet and watch stuff
that Sage has recorded. You can't get to the Sage UI, but
the files are there, ready to view.

- Anywhere Access: I don't use it, but Sage includes a separate
application called "PlaceShifter". You install PlaceShifter
on your laptop or somebody else's PC and it can hook into
your instance of SageTV from anyplace in the world. It even
adjusts the resolution to accommodate different bandwidths.

Downside I Perceive in SageTV:

- The downside that I see in SageTV is care and feeding. It is
an enthusiast's product and not a toaster-like appliance.

OTOH, the UI and setup on the one TIVO that I tried was just
sooooo elegant and simple.

OTOOH, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree and I have been dealing
successfully with SageTV for 5+ years.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 7:57:58 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 7:26:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am looking at my options for cutting the cable (Actually satellite)
My main concern is what to use for a DVR for broadcast signals.
Can I buy an old Tivo for this. Is the guide still being supported?

buy a used tivo with lifetime service, its affordable, and works awesome.

some dvrs like the dish pal one and perhaps the maganavox used guide data the local stations no longer provide

some tivos hsupport on line streaming of shows.

I've had Tivo since the original first came out. I have the Tivo
Premier now, which is about 5 years old. I've been very happy with
them and highly recommend them.

I'm not up on their latest eqpt or price plans though. When I bought
both of mine, the option for service, which is basically the guide info
was either a monthly charge or a one time payment of about $300 for
lifetime service. I got the lifetime, which goes for the lifetime of
the unit. So, if you buy a used one with lifetime, it transfers to the
new owner. The Premier and I assume all the new ones use a cable card
instead of a cable box. That's a plus, because the monthly charge from
my cable company for the cablecard is $3 less than it would be for a
cable box. Also, the cable company would be charging me $10 extra a
month for their DVR. Bottom line, if you wind up paying ~$600 for a
new Tivo with lifetime, I'm even in about 4 years, ahead after that.

They have been very reliable. And the Tivo guide, season pass options,
wishlist searches, are way better than what the cable company here offers.
I can put in a search for an actor or keyword like "snowboarding" and it
will auto record anything as it comes up. I don't know how many tuners
the new ones have, my Premier will record two shows and you could be
watching a third that has been recorded.

IDK how much storage you're looking for, but if you buy a used one,
there are DIY guides on the internet about how to upgrade it to a
much larger drive. I've been thinking about doing that with mine.
It currently has, I think a 300GB drive. I can buy a 2TB drive for
example, and put that in there. It's a bit involved, you have to
download some Linux boot CD, then use a PC to copy the drive that's
in there, put that image onto the new drive, etc.

Any questions, let me know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 07:58:03 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Dunno from TIVO, but I use something called SageTV which runs on my 27-7
PC. Strictly OTA - we do not have cable or dish.

Since Google bought it out and killed off the company, Sage has gone
Open Source, but I am not sure about freebie EPG availability on the
Open Source version.

That would bother me. I have a "lifetime" ReplayTV but that was the
life of the company, not the life of the machine and the EPG went
away. Now it is a barely capable VCR without a digital tuner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per (PeteCresswell):
I just posted a question about this it the SageTV forum
(http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...727#post585727) and
maybe we will get a reply soon.

Looks like $25/year.

Dunno how that compares to TIVO... maybe Somebody Who Knows can chime
in.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

I'm not up on their latest eqpt or price plans though. When I bought
both of mine, the option for service, which is basically the guide info
was either a monthly charge or a one time payment of about $300 for
lifetime service.

TiVo's current service prices are $15 per month or $150 per year or $600
for "All-In" (lifetime) service. The first year is free with the
purchase of a new TiVo. The 500GB Bolt currently goes for $300 (with one
year of service) from TiVo. A little bit cheaper at Amazon etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That would bother me. I have a "lifetime" ReplayTV but that was the
life of the company, not the life of the machine and the EPG went
away. Now it is a barely capable VCR without a digital tuner.

That could happen with TiVo as well.